BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

wolfgang

Question

Someone found a piece of paper glued to stone, written on it a( magical word ),this word was written with an ordinary black ink,but in a special way.Each one can read it very easily.

The pen and ink where still there.

He wanted to keep it for him only,so he decided to disguise this word,in such a way that it will be impossible to be read again !!

How can he achieve that without touching or writing over the word,and without damaging the paper , covering it or removing it.

How was that word written?

How can he disguise it?

Note: he can use the pen and ink to write on the paper.

23 answers to this question

... the word was written in Morse code. He only had to add some dots or dashes in the spaces between every two letters and the original word would have been impossible to find after that.

... the word was written in Morse code. He only had to add some dots or dashes in the spaces between every two letters and the original word would have been impossible to find after that.

but I said....each one can read it very easily....

even children in primary school.

If the letters were written in block form... much like the older digital clocks that create every number from a configuration of 7 straight lines (when all are lit it is an eight, when the center line is left out it is a 0, etc.). If the letter was written so that all the letters are formed with right angles, you can just draw in more right angle lines essentially covering every possible line in the possible "configurations." Much like taking that digital clock and changing 12:30 into 88:88....

The poster already said you can't just add letters because you could still see the original word.

So possible to impossible is the same as where someone said if the word is car to add letters to make it carbon. Also it is written in a peculiar way.

My answer:

The word is written in black ink on the other side of the paper so it would still show through. By just writing on the original side of the paper it would make the word on the other side of the paper impossible to read. Kind of out there but the "in a special way" got me thinking.

The word was REVERSED out of Black - that is, the whole paper was covered in black ink, except the word. So then, we just fill in the white space (the letters of the word) with the black ink and no-one can ever read it.

The tricky part here is to find out how the word was specially written; once this is made clear, it will be easy to find the solution. Now we know it is easy to read, so the word can't be in invisible ink, code, or even backwards. Personally I think the person with the digital clock idea was on to something...

It was written in a comparative picture form. It is dependent on another picture to indicate size. An arrow pointing at the correct one would tell us that it is -> ____ _____________ short. By adding a 3rd picture even shorter.

__ -> ____ ___________, the arrow

would stay in the same place but now people who see

it won't get the correct meaning. A ruler as part of the overall picture would help interpret the meaning

Edited by Brina

The magiw word was written using only "rotable" letters. that is, letters which could be still be read even if they're presented upside down. For instance:

(W,M)

(I,I or lowercase L "l")

(O,O)

(S,S)

(H,H)

(Z,Z)

(X,X)

And maybe also:

(A,V)

(P, lowercase D "d")

(T,L)

He can disguise the word by placing the rock upside down.

If the word was "MOM", after this trick, it would be read "WOW" but since this is no magic word, nothing would happen... Therefore, disguising the word leaving everything undamaged.

The original word was "possible" and now he just added "im" before it and hence the word now is "impossible".

My question is straight forward..had nothing to do with words .

Let me say that the (magical word) was ....LEFT.

so make this word (somehow) disguised,so that no one can read it ,or estimate it( i.e. the chance to find it again will be 0%).

I said....the word was written in a special way.....

only one answer from all above was nearly close....but still does not fulfill all the O.P. requirements.

It is not allowed to write over it.

and not allowed to cover it,or put anything over it.

moreover...The paper should remain intact.

As an example...let us take the word(left) as a magical word.

You can use any other word ,,,if you want.

He should write the same word several times on the sheet in order to disguise the word amongst all the other words... that doesn't explain specially written or 0% chance of finding it though

What if the word was written using dots, much like a digital LCD display or a dot-matrix printer renders letters. Then adding more dots can completely obliterate the original word.

Very good....!!!!

The paper was devided to very small squares,and the word was written as points(one point in each square),so by adding points to the other empty squares all around,will make it totally impossible to know what was written.

Thank you all....

I like the Possible and Impossible idea, it works, But I do not think that is what was intended for 4 reasons: 1) it is too much like CAT being changed by adding extra letters. This was disallowed in a hint. Possible can still be read within the word impossible. 2) it does not say it becomes IMPOSSIBLE or that we should make it IMPOSSIBLE, but only that it becomes impossible TO READ AGAIN. If it were not referring to the original word being literally imposible to read, then it would likely have been worded differently. 3) Possible and Impossible are at higher vocuabulary levels than most primary readership, also stated in the hints. If adding letters could be a solution, then based on the wording, the original word could have been READABLE; since it is "readable" to all who can read such a word. Then adding UN in front to make it into UNREADABLE would be a more likely solution than "impossible." However, although it works in some respects, I think Riverratpack has the primary solution because the riddle directs us to consider HOW the word was writen. So, alphanumeric digial clock style numbering/lettering makes sense. Adding lines does not block out or write over, but does make it unreadable reguardless of the simple readable original word. Additionally, depending on the word, not all lines would need to be added, although adding all possible lines makes the near impossible to read into totally impossible. E.g. if the word were IF it could be changed into TEN or MEN etc. In the case of total obliterationn, with out coverup allowed, "IF" could be changed into a longer string of 8's than necessart; to the extent of free space available on the paper. Then instead of 88, IF could be 88888, or as many characters as the size of the paper allows/

Edited by Magi-Ken

I like the Possible and Impossible idea, it works, But I do not think that is what was intended for 4 reasons: 1) it is too much like CAT being changed by adding extra letters. This was disallowed in a hint. Possible can still be read within the word impossible. 2) it does not say it becomes IMPOSSIBLE or that we should make it IMPOSSIBLE, but only that it becomes impossible TO READ AGAIN. If it were not referring to the original word being literally imposible to read, then it would likely have been worded differently. 3) Possible and Impossible are at higher vocuabulary levels than most primary readership, also stated in the hints. If adding letters could be a solution, then based on the wording, the original word could have been READABLE; since it is "readable" to all who can read such a word. Then adding UN in front to make it into UNREADABLE would be a more likely solution than "impossible." However, although it works in some respects, I think Riverratpack has the primary solution because the riddle directs us to consider HOW the word was writen. So, alphanumeric digial clock style numbering/lettering makes sense. Adding lines does not block out or write over, but does make it unreadable reguardless of the simple readable original word. Additionally, depending on the word, not all lines would need to be added, although adding all possible lines makes the near impossible to read into totally impossible. E.g. if the word were IF it could be changed into TEN or MEN etc. In the case of total obliterationn, with out coverup allowed, "IF" could be changed into a longer string of 8's than necessart; to the extent of free space available on the paper. Then instead of 88, IF could be 88888, or as many characters as the size of the paper allows. AH, While I was writing this the SOLUTION of block lettering in digital format was confirmed by the originator!! So I went back and added this last note/