BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Folding Paper

Folding Paper - Back to the Geometry Puzzles

Divide a paper into 8 sections and write numbers on it according to the picture. Your job is to fold it where the lines are so that the numbers are sorted - number 1 will be on the top, 2 under it,..., and the last one will be 8.

post-2-1175346982_thumbgif

Modification: It is the same objective, just the numbers have changed.

post-2-1175346991_thumbgif

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.

Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Folding Paper - solution

Trust me - it is possible. I have done it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is a representation of the solution:

fold-1to8.jpg[/attachment:3679e]

1) fold on the diagonal of 5-7, to put 4 under 6

2) fold 5, and manage to fold it inside the previous fold

3) fold 6-7 under 8-3

4) fold 1-8 under 2-3

5) fold 2 under 3.

All the numbers are ordered, but some of them are fold in 2 on their diagonal (7 and 5).

For the second one, this is the solution (without drawing):

1) Fold 1-4 under 2-3 (5-8 are fold in the middle, so you now see only half of 8 and half of 5)

2) Fold 8-2-7 over 5-3-6

3) Fold 8 under 1

4) Fold 6 and 7 between 5 and 8

post-232-1178939986_thumbjpg

• Downvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm

I don't agree that folding the numbers in half are acceptable.

I have come up with solutions for both that have ALL numbers flat.

Also, I find it easier to work with if you have a peice of paper that has the numbers on both sides (but mirrored of course so that it makes sense)

Here's the first

1: Fold straight down the middle so that the 7 is behind the 8 and the 4 behind the 1 etc.

2: Fold the 1 and 8 behind so that the 2 and 3 are now on the front

3: Here's the tricky bit... Lift the 2 so that you can see a gap between the 3 and 6. Fold the 4 and 5 into that gap and flatten the whole thing.

4: Now simply fold the 2 and 1 over the 3.

The second is a lot trickier but again is possible with all flat sides.

1: Fold straight along the center so that the 4 comes UP in front of the 1, the 5 in front of the 8 etc.

2: Now fold the 4 and 1 onto the 5

Here's the confusing bit. But I promise, it does work.

3: Take the 6 and 7 and put it between the 4 and the 1 and keep pulling it through between the 5 and the 8. The 2 and 3 should follow and stay between the 1 and 2.

• 3 weeks later...

There are solutions that are actually much easier than the way you've described them.

The first one can be done in this manner:

1. fold down the horizontal axis so that the 2 is under the 1, 3 under 8 etc.

2. fold in half again along the vertical axis this time. so folding the 7 & 4 under the 1 & 8.

3. then fold the 8 under the 1.

For the second one:

1. fold down the horizontal axis again.

2. then fold each number behind the other. so first the 7 will go behind the 2. then the 7 will be behind the 8 and the 2 goes behind the 1 and the 8 will be on the bottom.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Here is a representation of the solution:

<!-- ia0 -->fold-1to8.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment:3679e]

1) fold on the diagonal**************no diagonals allowed!!!!***************** of 5-7, to put 4 under 6

2) fold 5, and manage to fold it inside the previous fold

3) fold 6-7 under 8-3

4) fold 1-8 under 2-3

5) fold 2 under 3.

All the numbers are ordered, but some of them are fold in 2 on their diagonal (7 and 5).

For the second one, this is the solution (without drawing):

1) Fold 1-4 under 2-3 (5-8 are fold in the middle, so you now see only half of 8 and half of 5)

2) Fold 8-2-7 over 5-3-6

3) Fold 8 under 1

4) Fold 6 and 7 between 5 and 8

• 2 weeks later...
Folding Paper - Back to the Geometry Puzzles

Divide a paper into 8 sections and write numbers on it according to the picture. Your job is to fold it where the lines are so that the numbers are sorted - number 1 will be on the top, 2 under it,..., and the last one will be 8.

post-2-1175346982_thumbgif

Modification: It is the same objective, just the numbers have changed.

post-2-1175346991_thumbgif

Folding Paper - solution

Trust me - it is possible. I have done it.

i have done it!!! yay the last fold or move is to turn it inside out!!! easy peesy!!! gonna get another peice of paper and do the next one!!! :D

i have done it!!! yay the last fold or move is to turn it inside out!!! easy peesy!!! gonna get another peice of paper and do the next one!!! :D

second one done too way to easy just gotta get them in orderr then turn them inside out and they be flat if paper thin and large!!! good luck have fun everyone ;):D

• 8 months later...

So the instructions are "Divide a paper into 8 sections and write numbers on it according to the picture. Your job is to fold it where the lines are so that the numbers are sorted (number 1 will be on the top, 2 under it,..., and the last one will be 8)."

basically the only rules are, you need to draw it like the picture, we can only fold it on the lines and we need to put it in order. I solved this by

CUTTING along the red lines and folding as per these steps (they aren't numbered but I think you can follow them...) and before anyone gets into it...it really doesn't say you cant cut the paper only that it needs to be folded into order =)

post-11221-1224401256_thumbjpg And then just flip it over so 1 is on top

• 6 months later...

Has anyone gotten a solution for the 2nd one that works, doesn't involve folding on the numbers, and doesn't involve impossibly pulling through the inside of the fold?

Has anyone gotten a solution for the 2nd one that works, doesn't involve folding on the numbers, and doesn't involve impossibly pulling through the inside of the fold?

yes

fold the paper horizontally back to back. so the numboers are facing out. then manuever the ends into eachother like your making a tube. the 6 and 7 are back to back and they go inside the 1 and 4 which are also back to back. keep working the ends into eachother until the finished product is 1 square wide

• 1 year later...

I have done it without any diagonal folding ... and without any paper cutting and it is truly possible ....

check it out and you will find how it comes true...

check the attached image please

post-33169-071891100 1280075398.jpg

here you can find the solution of 2nd puzzle ....

it is just only possible with a single modification ...

i tried it best ... if any one have answer his/her post will be highly appreciate here

you can see my solution in attached fig below

post-33169-045293800 1280078414.jpg

• 9 months later...

I used to do these in my college math teaching class and I am actually doing these with my class (4th grade) and they are figuring them out. I can not remember the other ways that we can line up numbers to make other puzzles? I believe that there are more but I can not think of them could one of you help me out with this?