BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

PROLOGUE:

"A no-holds-barred, pull-out-all-the-stops, breathless tangle of thriller..........................A new year at Hogwarts."

A new year at Hogwarts.....................After a weary journey through the "Hogwarts Express", all the students found themselves in the main dining hall, where in front of them, in the middle of the long teachers' table, sat Albus Dumbledore , smiling to see the children back at Hogwarts. Many innocent people (stone) among a few vicious ones. Malfoy gave a disgusted look at Harry, who was busy talking with Hermione and was soon joined by a boy. With that red hair, it was not difficult to identify Ron.

There, in the crowd, stood Ginny, a little nervous but more calm and contented. And among them, stood Colin, happy as ever..............

Nobody knew that among the happy and merry environment of Hogwarts, there existed a "Chamber of Secrets", where Riddle waited, planning viciously and smiling. Another side, Basilik was ready for the night adventures.............

Though some students were new to Hogwarts, they knew of the adventures of last year. They all knew, one mistake and a great damage would ensue.............

• Answers 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

JK Rowling: Shadow7

Random House: Akriti

1. Peace

2. nox - voting for edm

3. Aaryan - voting for darth nox

4. Anon26 - killed by Baddies

5. yoDell

6. Thalia

7. Chaits

8. Q-Cumber

9. Slick - voting for peace

10. Araver - voting for Aaryan

11. EDM

12. Auramyna - voting for Aaryan

13. Segul

ill vote for edm, if she isnt a goodie she cant keep up the act for long.... giving us the best chance of finding out info

@ aryan, not the best reason for voting for me, because of course a baddie would try to get the experienced players voting for eachother... it does make you seem like a baddie but im willing to listen to your response

Edited by darth nox

1. Peace

2. nox - voting for edm

5. yoDell

6. Thalia

7. Chaits

8. Q-Cumber

11. EDM - voting for Segul

13. Segul

I should use Random.org more often.....:)

@nox: Umm...I did get blocked by a snake.....how exactly does that make me a baddie??? :huh:

GO GOODIES!!! :D :D :D

Edited by EDM

OK, suspicions on D1 are always founded on little things. But this is not a simple Mafia where Baddies kill and people have to rely on how "baddie" one sounds.

We got actions. Lots of them. And an Order of Actions. And our minds to separate the possible for the impossible.

Night 1

-----

Hermione spied someone

Harry tried an incorrect RID Kill

Colin followed someone

Ron blocked EDM

Basilisk blocked EDM

Riddle redirected Yodell to ???

Ginny spied ??

Basilisk killed Anon26

Bottom line:

-----

EDM has been double-blocked! All goodies with a role acted. All baddies with an action acted. Order of actions says RID kill>>block>>NK>>redirect>>spy

So, EDM is either a vanilla Goodie (4 posibilities), a vanilla Baddie (1 possibility) or Harry (cause RID Kill >> block, at least that's my interpretation of the >>) or Ron (as self-blocks typically still go through even if someone else blocks the blocker). She can't be Basilisk (cause block >> NK and we had a NK) or Ginny or Riddle.

The odds of EDM being a baddie are slim. She is not a confirmed goodie as she can still be Malfoy. But the odds are slim.

Granted, it does indeed make sense for baddies to block their vanilla (Malfoy) since no action would be lost by that block ... but it's subject to WIFOM. Because if one looks deeper, hypothetically, if baddies block their vanilla in N1 and the goodie blocker gets lucky and blocks one of the other baddies (with an action) in the same night ... this leaves one baddie role with an action not appearing in the night-post. This will get people going for the two blocked persons as possibilities for that baddie role that did not act. This lucky-block scenario would effectively put both baddies on the map D1 ensuring one gets lynched. It's too risky imo. Depends on the experience of the baddie team, but still, too risky to pull off.

So, I'm taking EDM to be a very likely Goodie based on night-post and will continue to do so until someone counterclaims that or a night-post provides different info.

I should use Random.org more often.....:)

Not really, I think you're better adding pressure than spreading pressure in D1. Random org between those who have been already voted for.

And do you want to address the previous claim that you had an action? Was that a lie?

If it was a lie, do you wanna claim a number?

Wow, you're good, araver...real good....:)

I'm definitely NOT Malfoy, though...;)

Now I'm thinking that you're a baddie....but only because you over-analyzed me like that; I may be wrong, though.....:unsure:

GO GOODIES!!! :D :D :D

1. Peace

2. nox

5. yoDell

6. Thalia

7. Chaits

8. Q-Cumber

13. Segul

i read what araver said and decided to remove my vote, im sort of busy right now so ill vote after church

Edited by darth nox

1. Peace - voting for Thalia

2. nox

5. yoDell

6. Thalia

7. Chaits

8. Q-Cumber

13. Segul

Adding Peace's random (?) vote. She will have some explaining to do when she gets back.

@EDM - Sorry, I'll just have to break what Shadow said about me being nice:

There is no over-thinking/over-analysing in Mafia. There is however under-thinking. a defense. That is something one should come up on his/her own to prove his/her innocence. That is how it's done in a Mafia game which does not feature only vanillas. That is something you should be able to come up with yourself. Instead of Go Goodies and other non-sensical arguments. You don't really like feedback, yet there it is, plain and simple.

The only reason I provided the defense for you is to direct the voting to someone more productive for Day 1.

I take your last-line the go-goodies signature) as a proof that you either really can't see right from wrong or are just intrinsically confused about what is happening in a Mafia game during the nights and during the days underneath the obvious layer that everyone can see in the night/day posts and the game thread.

Still mobile.. But one quick q: Riddle's redirect is a voluntary action ? Not an action-triggered one ? If someone acted on Riddle without him redirecting that action then the action goes through ?

I'll vote later when i have the chance to read attentively through all the posts.

Still mobile.. But one quick q: Riddle's redirect is a voluntary action ? Not an action-triggered one ?

If someone acted on Riddle without him redirecting that action then the action goes through ?

A redirect is a voluntary action i.e. one submits "Redirect X to Y".

I can't answer 100% positively to that other question. Short answer would be yes.

Typically >> means some actions already happened when the redirect is played (RID kill>>block>>NK>>redirect) which would mean these actions can affect the redirector role, and the redirector role cannot affect those actions. In which case, this game's OOA means that redirect can only affect spies. This is my interpretation on the OOA and what >> means as opposed to >, but I am making your questions red to get the hosts take.

Yes, araver's understanding is correct. If any action was undertaken on Riddle, and not blocked, it would go through, unless 2 conditions are both met: the action was a spy, and Riddle redirected the action.

OK, Aura and araver, here's my reasoning. If nox is a goodie, then goodies may have a problem, but even new players can be experts at deduction (look at KluMaster in TMM2).

But if he was a baddie, he would be powerful, being an experienced mafioso (not trying to insult any other experienced members ;))

Edited by Aaryan

Now I'm betting that one of the baddies is going to change their vote to equal out mine, and then kill one of you two to put the blame on me. (Unless one of you...or BOTH of you [!!! sudden epiphany] are teamed up baddies.

And then WIFOM comes into play :duh:

@ aaryan, then why me, and not people like araver and edm who have been playing for much much longer then i have. your logic makes no sense. if your trying to weed out people that you feel are dangerous and not just trying to play the experienced players against each other..... then please give us your reason for voting for me and not any of the other experienced players

Edited by darth nox

Hey sorry

I've stolen my dads iPhone for a sec.I had no time to get on this morning so I took a min at my aunts house comeinf back

We had to go I'll explain more when I can type easier but I didn't want to be inscribe

I outlined why before n I voted for Thalia beecause I didn't have time to read all the posts n reasons so I voted for someone who wasn't voted for sO my random vote wouldnt cause a death I'll try to get on before nine

there is a lot of inactivity so we cant get much from anyone, i guess ill put pressure on aaryan since he hasnt adressed the TWO votes that are on him, who knows maybe a third will get him talking

Edited by darth nox

1. Peace - voting for Thalia

2. nox - voting for Aaryan

5. yoDell

6. Thalia

7. Chaits

8. Q-Cumber

13. Segul

1. Peace

5. yoDell

6. Thalia

7. Chaits

8. Q-Cumber

13. Segul

ok. im taking my vote of thalia. let me read through and then ill revote. :P

1. Peace

5. yoDell

6. Thalia

7. Chaits

8. Q-Cumber

9. Slick - voting for Aaryan

13. Segul

I seriously did not like his metagaming defense. He needs to much better than that. Hence why I switched. thumbsup.gif

1. Peace

2. nox - voting for chaits

5. yoDell

6. Thalia

7. Chaits

8. Q-Cumber

13. Segul

I seriously did not like his metagaming defense. He needs to much better than that. Hence why I switched. thumbsup.gif

So far , from what I read .. araver made a pretty conclusive analysis of N1 actions . which leads to the logical conclusion that EDM is a goodie... even if you do act suspicious : from what I got from Nox and peace and Aura and yourself EDM.. you've played mafia for some time now... so how come you don't know that a block is only for the night.. :huh:

On the other hand Aaryan, you don't really have a defense .. cause you did not show up in the night post .. so no "alibi" possible at this time for you ... but it's weird that you still keep your vote on Nox even after almost all active players questioned your reasons for voting that way .....

one final thought : initially Aaryan's vote for Nox was in blue... Aura (the first to vote for Aaryan) changed that color when adding the roaster to green - was that meant as a subliminal message to everyone else ?? Aura has not posted anything since .... where are u, girl, after placing the blame so easily ??

right now... no idea on who to vote ... I would vote an inactive ...

q: what happens if lynch is tied D1 ? (don't remember if it was in the rules in the signup thread.. but it's not in this game thread

1. Peace

2. nox - voting for chaits

5. yoDell - voting for Q-cumber

6. Thalia

7. Chaits

8. Q-Cumber