BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

There are plenty of long scientific names for animals, insects, birds, etc and there are lots of complicated multi-word names (yellow bellied sap sucker, etc, etc).

However, when it comes to lots of syllables in a single word name, it seems that five syllables is the limit and that there aren't even that many four syllable names?

How many five syllable (or even six) single word animals can you name?

To get you started...

The tropical oceans hold: ba-rra-cu-da

The Americas have the: ar-ma-dill-o

Does Africa hold the bragging rights to the most syllables ?

Xoloitzcuintli. It's a kind of dog.

Barasingha.It is an Indian deer.

Cassowary. A Melanesian bird.

ooh ooh what's my prize? Please be a new "Eggs and Canoes"...

4-syllable closed form common names may not be common, but the goal was 5+.

xo·loitz·cuint·li

ba·ra·sin·gha

cas·so·war·y

hip·po·pot·a·mus - [Africa]

ma·la·sha·ga·nay - [india]

co·a·ti·mun·di - [south America, Central America, southwest United States]

hu·mu·hu·mu·nu·ku·nu·ku·a·pu·a·a [Hawaii]

Awesome - must investigate some of the Maori and Aus aboriginal names for animals.

How about this?

A-fri-can El-e-phant :lol:

Do adjectives count? Because that would be six.

sorry it's a-freak-ing el-e-phant :lol:

do pokemon count pika-pika-pika-pika-pika-pika-pika-pika-pika-pika-pika-pika-chu :duh::thumbsup::D:P:lol:

smileys are fun

chameleon for 4

this could be a stretch but........

"Abominable" for 5 as the snowmsn is colloquially known in the one word name. That would be Asia I think. Ha ha.

chameleon for 4

this could be a stretch but........

"Abominable" for 5 as the snowmsn is colloquially known in the one word name. That would be Asia I think. Ha ha.

Chameleon is usually denoted as 3-syllables cha·me·leon /kə-mēl’yən/, but it is also a good one for 4-syllables cha·me·le·on /kə-mē’lē-ən/.

The legendary creature, the Abominable Snowman, is known as the Ye·ti, and by the Himalayan locals as Dzu-teh and Meh-teh, it is sometimes said to be related to Big·foot, Sas·quatch, and Skunk Ape -- three other legendary creatures. All these common names seem to be only 2-syllables except the two-word compound A·bom·i·na·ble Snow·man. Yet, I found no evidence that the 5-syllable adjective is used alone as a common name for the almost mythic creature. It might be a Regional term...like only in your neighborhood, maybe? Good try though.

Chameleon is usually denoted as 3-syllables cha·me·leon /kə-mēl’yən/, but it is also a good one for 4-syllables cha·me·le·on /kə-mē’lē-ən/.

The legendary creature, the Abominable Snowman, is known as the Ye·ti, and by the Himalayan locals as Dzu-teh and Meh-teh, it is sometimes said to be related to Big·foot, Sas·quatch, and Skunk Ape -- three other legendary creatures. All these common names seem to be only 2-syllables except the two-word compound A·bom·i·na·ble Snow·man. Yet, I found no evidence that the 5-syllable adjective is used alone as a common name for the almost mythic creature. It might be a Regional term...like only in your neighborhood, maybe? Good try though.

Or just perhaps in Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer as "the abominable" or a more recent horror movie.

Or just perhaps in Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer as "the abominable" or a more recent horror movie.

You are asked to provide multi-syllable, one-word animal names, not anime characters!!! -_-

You are asked to provide multi-syllable, one-word animal names, not anime characters!!! -_-

Yes, but it was meant to be mildly funny, hence the ha ha part. What good is knowledge without humor? I will retreat to a less serious thread. Come, Jabberwocky, let us go!!! (4 syllables !!!)