Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

31 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I just noticed that picante shows up as misspelled in my Firefox browser. I had been wondering about word choice anyway so it is a good time to bring it up. Is picante a common enough word? I understand having some bizarre words show up in the guesses, but I also imagine that the general rule of thumb is to have some relatively common word for the word-to-be-guessed? I wondered about kebab earlier, too. And I couldn't have guessed coccoid without having almost all the letters figured out.

For instance I thought to use PIQUANT (close relative to picante) but decided that it probably isn't a common enough word. Is that a good call, or would piquant be a perfectly wonderful word to use?

Of course with something like Rollo Ninja, the question is perhaps moot. All words are known and even searchable. Even a website like www.onelook.com somewhat changes things.

Anyway, that's my musings at the moment.

Posted · Report post

If its a valid word use it...however due to the rising use of programs I have stayed away some from words that can be quickly narrowed down by a lucky guess or two. COCCOID I felt would have been difficult to guess CC so I took a chance with it...to me part of the fun is trying to come up with a word that will score you some points.

Posted · Report post

I was thinking about the scoring a bit. Perhaps it would be better to set a cap on the score obtainable from guessing the word correctly. This would put more weight on the points obtained from proving letters, which seems to be a major portion of the game.

For instance, if 7-Rollo results in zero letters proved and then the word properly guessed the winner would get 40 points. If the score was limited to 10 points for the final guess, then it might be worthwhile to prove some letters first. It would put a bit more strategy on when to try and guess the final word, thus eliminating anyone else getting points from guessing letters, and when to take the time to prove out some letters.

Thoughts ?

Posted · Report post

I was thinking about the scoring a bit. Perhaps it would be better to set a cap on the score obtainable from guessing the word correctly. This would put more weight on the points obtained from proving letters, which seems to be a major portion of the game.

For instance, if 7-Rollo results in zero letters proved and then the word properly guessed the winner would get 40 points. If the score was limited to 10 points for the final guess, then it might be worthwhile to prove some letters first. It would put a bit more strategy on when to try and guess the final word, thus eliminating anyone else getting points from guessing letters, and when to take the time to prove out some letters.

Thoughts ?

I like it, but be mindful that there are those who prefer finding the words and not proving the letters...

additionally though, if they know the word they should try to prove it first via letters...

Posted (edited) · Report post

Agree - this would encourage proofs over just outright guessing.

This also appears to be more in keeping with unreality's original thread/op; in that it was never stated that the guesser of the whole word was entitled to the points as if all letters had been individually proven.

The scoring rule could then be stated as:

SCORING - Standard (5/logicked letter & 10/complete word for Guessers, 1/incorrect guess & 5/flawed logick for Host)

rather than being...

SCORING - Standard (5/logicked letter, bonus 5/final letter, 1/guess for host)

...as it is now (which was also missing the flawed logick points)

OK?

P.S. Must be about time to implement this isn't it?

This poll/thread has been going for over 6 weeks.

Edited by WombatBreath

Posted · Report post

I've started a new thread and summarised the rules in the opening post.

To give the scoring a good test, I've started off with an eleven letter word...