BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Sixy Rollo

OK Folks, <doffs cap to unreality> this is a kick off post for another version of the started by unreality, using six letter words rather than five letters.

The rules are expected to need massaging as we go and this thread may get abandoned if it doesn't work out but the idea is to run with the standard ROLLO rules initially, as outlined below, and vary them as we believe appropriate / practicable / fair.

It may be that with 6 letters the host has an unfair opportunity to earn more points or may end up at a disadvantage due to quicker exclusion of invalid letters but we will see how we go...

INITIAL SIXY ROLLO RULES

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Someone thinks of a 6 letter word and posts a prompt for people to start guessing "_ _ _ _ _".

The word to be guessed should be recognizably 'English' and proper nouns should be avoided but some names are arguably generic enough to qualify. Guesses must also be words - posters of strings of unrelated characters should expect to be abused :P

People begin guessing 6 letter words. When a word is guessed, the host puts a number next to the word signifying HOW MANY LETTERS WERE IN THE CORRECT POSITION.

You cannot 'win' by just guessing some of the right letters though.

To earn points you must either:

* "logick" one of the six letters via an explanation of why that letter has to be logically 100% in that position; OR

* correctly identify the entire word.

When the host accepts a "logick" explanation, the underscore (or question-mark) is replaced with that letter and the person that posted the "logick" for the letter gets 5 points.

When the sixth and final letter is "logicked", or a player posts the entire word as a guess then that player gets 10 points for the sixth letter instead of the usual 5.

The host is awarded 1 point per guessed word and 5 points per incorrectly "logicked" letter/position.

?A????

TABLES - 1   GARLIC - 1

TARGET - 1   WIGGLE - 1

THRICE - 0   WAGGLE - 2

GUILTY - 0

WOGGLE - 1

Score changes: Quag +5

Interesting to compare progress on the ROLLO & SIXY ROLLO games that are both going at the moment as I believe the words are equally unusual.

Edited by WombatBreath

JAGUAR  (well done Maquis)

TABLES - 1   GARLIC - 1

TARGET - 1   WIGGLE - 1

THRICE - 0   WAGGLE - 2

GUILTY - 0   WANDER - 2

WOGGLE - 1   MANGER - 2

Score changes: Quag +5, Maquis +30, WbB +10

Not sure whether to keep scores or not while we are assessing if the scoring needs adjustment.

BTW SYRUP took 11 guesses and JAGUAR took 10.

Edited by WombatBreath

i vote to keep the scores (but since I'm in the lead, I'm a bit prejudiced :P ) and if scoring needs adjusting we can always agree to wipe the scores and start over.

Taking inspiration from my desk again and I have a new 6 letter word ready.