BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

My thread got me thinking about compound words in English and how they are constructed. (Wikipedia has some good content on the topic of compound words)

I can come up with a 3 component compound word: SEA MAN SHIP

Can you identify others, or even a FOUR component compound word ?

Was just about to go back to your last topic with compliments and suggest maybe a puzzle or similar thread to this one.:lol: There are a bunch of adverbs/prepositions that may qualify. like neverthesess, notwithstanding, etc. The one noun that popped into mind is kinda similar to your example - longshoreman. There's lots of words that can be divided into three words that are not really compound words, too. like concentration.

... longshoreman, nevertheless, notwithstanding

Nice ones! There's sportsmanship as well, of course, but I can't come up with a 4 component one yet...

Edited by WombatBreath

This one's like seamanship and sportsmanship...

PENMANSHIP (pen-man-ship)

Some funny ones:

BADMINTON (bad-mint-on)

My teacher told me this one when I was in elementary - TOGETHER (to-get-her)

:D

This one's like seamanship and sportsmanship... PENMANSHIP (pen-man-ship)

Some funny ones: BADMINTON (bad-mint-on)

My teacher told me this one when I was in elementary - TOGETHER (to-get-her)

:D

Hehe Nice!

I'm surprised that none of us can come up with a four component one.

Shows what a weird language English is, I guess.

One that seems a bit contrived to me, but is there nonetheless:

fatherlessness

Oooo, FAT HER LESS NESS is genuinely 4 word component (equivalent of TO GET HER)

I wonder if there is a proper 4 component compound out there... waiting... :huh:

tried to come up with two compound words that could form a compund word. Stared out my window at the rain and thought up "outdoors" then outdoorsman followed. With a little help from your discussions outdoorsmanship was not too far off.

Now a little help with the term "nut out". I don't believe we have that term in the States. I can make it mean something that fits, but I do believe you meant something else?

BTW by 'nut out' I mean analyse or think through a sequencial path of logic.

(I'm showing my London, UK upbringing) In the UK your 'nut' is your head or brain so nut gets use in many ways:

* 'nut someone' = headbutt them;

* "use yer nut" = "think about it";

* "he's off his nut"="he is intellectually challenged" :D

Maybe we could start another thread of fruit being used to represent body parts? Hmm... maybe not.

Edited by WombatBreath

Quick question...is outdoorsmanship a true four word compound word. I guess I'm questioning the use of ship as a word and not a suffix...ship vs -ship. Same would go for less vs -less. Is fatherless a compound word or simply a single word with a suffix added to it? Thoughts?

Quick question...is outdoorsmanship a true four word compound word. I guess I'm questioning the use of ship as a word and not a suffix...ship vs -ship. Same would go for less vs -less. Is fatherless a compound word or simply a single word with a suffix added to it? Thoughts?

This is probably a bit deep for me (as I'm no linguist) but I guess it depends on whether the suffix used is genuinely related to the meaning of the same characters when set alone, as a word.

For 'less', I think that is an easy assessment to make (the absence of something) but for 'ship' it appears to be a "longer bow". Can you regard 'ship' as a method of delivery, rather than a literal vehicle? An apprenticeship is a method of achieving an apprentice, isn't it?

Any English Language professors out there...?

This is probably a bit deep for me (as I'm no linguist) but I guess it depends on whether the suffix used is genuinely related to the meaning of the same characters when set alone, as a word.

For 'less', I think that is an easy assessment to make (the absence of something) but for 'ship' it appears to be a "longer bow". Can you regard 'ship' as a method of delivery, rather than a literal vehicle? An apprenticeship is a method of achieving an apprentice, isn't it?

Any English Language professors out there...?

Not a linguist either, more a reasonably informed layman.

Just to push the envelope into ridiculous territory, shall we try for five?

Fatherlessnessship.

My thread got me thinking about compound words in English and how they are constructed. (Wikipedia has some good content on the topic of compound words)

I can come up with a 3 component compound word: SEA MAN SHIP

Can you identify others, or even a FOUR component compound word ?

The word SHIP comes from the Old English scip "ship, boat" from the Proto-Germanic *skipan and derived from the Proto-Indo-European base *skei- "to cut, split". The word is a root word in compound words AIRSHIP and BATTLESHIP, but it is not in the word SEAMANSHIP. In SEAMANSHIP,

-SHIP is a suffix (preceded here with hyphen to indicate it is a bound morpheme and not a word) denoting a profession, state or office, from the Old English -sciepe from the Proto-Germanic *-skapaz "to create, ordain, appoint" which derived from the Proto-Indo-European base *(s)kep-.

SEAMANSHIP does have three components: SEA MAN -SHIP, but it is not a compound of three words, but of two words and a morpheme.

A compound word is word formed from the joining of two or more words. There are three forms of compound words: closed form, hyphenated form and open form. Most compound words of 4+ component words will be either of the hyphenated form or the open form, or a mixture of the two. One example is HOLE-IN-THE-HEAD FROG. I assume you instead seek a 4+ component compound word of closed form.

Edited by Dej Mar

subordinator

SUB OR DIN AT OR

greatgreat....greatgrandfather

subordinator is certainly not a compound word. It is simply a word that is made up of syllables that happen to each form a word. Great-great-...-great-grandfather is not an "enclosed" compound word, as DM described above,

[_quote name=googon' date='11 May 2011 - 02:37 PM' timestamp='1305142672' post='280418]

i dont know how to put your name on quaote cna you tell me

[_/quote]

Hit the reply button and the above pops into your reply box (sans the _)

Or type [_quote name=googon] text [_/quote] (again sans the _)

Edited by maurice

[_quote name=googon' date='11 May 2011 - 02:37 PM' timestamp='1305142672' post='280418]

[_/quote]

Hit the reply button and the above pops into your reply box (sans the _)

Spoiler for example

googon, on 11 May 2011 - 02:37 PM, said:

Or type [_quote name=googon] text [_/quote] (again sans the _)

Spoiler for example

googon said:

] i dont know how to put your name on quaote cna you tell me