BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

araver

Question

Disclaimer: Although loosely inspired by actual historical events, this story is fictional and not intended to depict any actual person or event.

Prologue: Once more unto the breach

Eleven people awoke at the same time to find themselves in a dimly lit room. A round doughnut table with chairs was in the center of the room. Most of them were dressed casual but shock was on almost everyone’s face. Everybody wanted an explanation for their presence there. Some had heard rumors of an experiment the previous year, but had refused to believe something like this could happen to them. Rumors were passed from one another causing indistinct chatter all across the room.

~~~~~ A flash ... A Hooded person, appeared in the center of the table, surrounded by a cone of light that shadowed his figure completely. ~~~~~

Gentlemen, if you please have a seat, I’m sure we can find a way to answer your questions as quick as possible. Some of you have some previous information about a similar meeting that took place not long ago in similar circumstances. Consider yourselves pre-warned. Now take a seat or be silenced permanently!” said the Hooded Figure in a low, menacing tone. Slowly, one by one, all of them took a seat at the table.

Gentlemen, some time ago, after being fed up with your reckless messing with forces beyond your control, I have attempted an experiment to stop the destruction you are doing to all the species on this planet. However ...", the Hooded Figure dramatically paused, "the results of your predecessors were below expectations. I was forced to correct those mistakes and find suitable replacements for the survivors of that experiment."

However, you all chose to continue your predecessor's line of actions, so I am forced to retry my experiment in roughly the same conditions. Only surviving nations from my previous experiment were admitted, along with some newcomers. My patience is wearing thin this time, so I have made some changes to the diplomacy game your predecessors played. The game is called Mafia and you will be given plenty of time to study the rules and come up with an adequate winning strategy. However, at the beginning of the game, you will find that you won't recognize certain people from your past. This is the only way to ensure a fair start for everyone!"

"Nothing exists outside this room unless I tell you to. So you’d better start thinking for yourselves since you will be playing for your lives and for your nations as well. Getting you all here was an example of my powers and you should not attempt to break any of my rules, or I will be forced to make other similar displays. I can at any time replace you with the next in line in your nation’s hierarchy, so unless you think that person is much smarter than you, I suggest you behave. Study the materials and learn how to play the game.This is your one and only attempt to win this. You will find confortable quarters along the hallway. We’ll adjourn in the morning!”

~~~~~ The Hooded Figure disappeared abruptly and the cone of light disappeared ~~~~~

As the Hooded Figure disappeared, they looked around to find complete strangers siting at the table. Their memories did not serve them adequately in associating faces with names or past events. As each of them tried to remember if they had taken a seat among friends, suspicious glances were thrown around. Some of them started reading the heavy Guides that were on the table, while others chose to retire to their rooms and read them in private.

Factions and Role descriptions

Secret Alliance - Have BTSC and a night invasion (kill). NK must be assigned to a person.

--------

China -- The size of the country allowed it to send a replacement for the representative lost in the previous game. Can use electronic interception technologies. If China can successfully guess the Nation who is the recipient of a message from Spain, China may read the message (silent intercept) OR replace it with a message of his own (active intercept), but not both. During the day, may secretly change one vote.

WinCon: Secretly wants revenge for losing face in recent games. Cannot leave unless both USA or Russia are dead.

Argentina-- Wishes to restore its former glory lost in last century's war.

Ability - Can spy on one player each night, learning their identity, and what they did that night. If spied upon, it appears as Spain.

WinCon: Must spy England or vote for England before leaving the game. Only votes at the end of day are counted towards the WinCon.

Iran-- Still walking a thin line, wishes to dominate and prevent other nations of controlling its neighbours.

Ability - Each night can hire an external agent. Ability comes after a roll of die - 1. Block 2. Kill 3. Spy 4. RID Kill 5. Redirect 6. No action

WinCon: Can only leave the game if Israel is dead.

UN Alliance - No BTSC, No group abilities.

--------

USA -- Can survive through countless tragedies therefore cannot die at night on odd nights. Can RID Kill each night.

WinCon: Must correctly RID Kill 1 baddie before leaving the game.

Russia -- The size of the country allows vote manipulation during the day (x0, x1, or x2) . Has hundreds of satellites floating in space. Can use one per night to spy a nation, even if that nation left the game or died. However their spying technology is easy to detect with the right equipment. If an alive member of the Secret Alliance is spied, the Secret Alliance will be notified of the fact that Russia spied one of them, but will not be told Russs identity.

WinCon: Has to prove itself by tagging 2 baddies before leaving the game. Spying a baddie at night is counted as 1 tag (different spies, different tags). Voting for a baddie who is eventually lynched is also counted as 1 tag.

Germany -- Its economic influence grows steadily which leads to an increase in political influence. Sometimes is forced to save nations in dire need, but would prefer preventing actions. Each night can choose to save a player or try to guess the Night Kill carrier. If Germany guesses correctly, the NK is blocked (but not the other action of that player).

WinCon: Must save a player or block the Night kill to be allowed to leave.

England -- Has worldwide influence among its former colonies. When one of the English speaking countries (US, Australia) dies, England takes over the actions or abilities of that nation. Every night, England must choose only one ability to use from the available list. After inheriting abilities, if Englands outs that one of the nations has died, it loses all the inherited abilities.

WinCon: Cannot leave the game until at least one of US and Australia have left the game or are dead and after it uses at least once one of the inherited abilities.

Australia -- As a former penal colony, Australia can trap one player per night, but not the same player two nights in a row. The enhanced spy technology borrowed from Canada will allow the spy results on the trapped player to be redirected to both Australia and USA.

WinCon: They cannot be the first goodie to leave the game - either one goodie must successfully leave or two goodies must be dead in order for Australia to be allowed to leave.

Spain-- As a former colonial empire, Spain is still struggling to achieve a fraction of its former glory. Has connections to vast network of Spanish speaking informers all around the world which can be used to send a 100 character message each night to one of the nations (ROLE, not player).

WinCon: Must send at least two messages successfully before being allowed to leave.

Israel-- Distrustful of alliances, often finds itself in need of allies due to its neighbor's influences. Can redirect a target each night. If it does not act during the night, it can instead change a vote in lynch during the day.

WinCon: Must redirect (successfully) or change Iran's vote to be alowed to leave.

Indy

--------

Sweden -- A rounded nation with nothing to contribute to wars. From time to time, chooses to temporarily side with a Faction or the other, in order to protect its own interests. Can arrest one person each night and learn his faction. That person is imprisoned for following day, cannot post or be voted for. Sweden cannot die N1.

Secret WinCon.

WinCons (Goals before leaving the game)

- All WinCons are to reach an individual goal then leave the game.

- To leave the game, the player must sacrifice his night ability and declare that he wishes to leave the game (PM host at night). After this declaration, he must survive that night and following day. If he survives both, he may leave.

- After the submit the LEAVE action, the following day their vote is counted x0.

- Blocks do not prevent a player from leaving, but an imprisonment does. An imprisoned player must be freed before attempting to leave.

- If a player attempts to leave without completing his assigned goal, he will be informed that he cannot leave only AFTER the night and day cycle have completed.

- When a single faction manages to eliminate all other players, there's no one stopping them to leave the game. This bypasses individual WinCons.

Order of actions

- Chronological (i.e. all rules are ">>")

- Redirect >> Trap/Imprison >> RID Kill >> Invulnerability >> Save/Block NK >> Night Kill >> Block >> Spy >> Message Send>> Message Intercept

- Night Kill is stopped if target is imprisoned or saved. NK is also stopped if Germany guesses the NK carrier or the NK carrier is RID Killed or trapped. Night Kill can be redirected.

- Redirected spies will not be told they were redirected. Instead, they will receive the role of the person they were redirected to.

- Night-post will show only successful actions. Spies will not be shown (just hinted at).

Other clarifications:

- D1 tie lynch=no lynch. Any other day tie = All tied players are lynched!

- Day/Nights end at 12 PM EST (7 AM in my timezone). Night can end earlier if I get all actions in red but the following day will be longer and end at the usual time.

Posted for feedback. Will serve as signups thread later

Host: Araver

1. Molly Mae

2. Hirkala

3. maurice

4. Thalia

5. curr3nt

7. Shadow7

8. solman

9. golfjunkie

10. Marq

11. Vineetrika

Backups

I suppose I can play...as long as slick doesn't take the last spot. You know why slick!

Thank you Marq and curr3nt.

Just wanted to say I am standing by, ready to start when the last spot is taken. I did want to have some closure after Minecraft, but I see no reason to delay starting this one.

Also, we could use at least 1 backup - I'm always worried when there is no backup :D

Thanks Aaryan :thumbsup:

Roles will go out very soon...

Game will start in a new thread ... but there's probably gonna be a longer than 24 hours night since I'm also hosting something else at the moment and I need to "synch" them so the cycles ends don't overlap completely.