BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Cavenglok

Question

Hiya. This is Cavenglok. Some of you may know that Brian Dennis is presently already dealing with the Sabertooths, but I'm starting a simpler, more stereotypical version with Brian Dennis. I will be running both Sabertooth and Axe of Murder. Have fun! :thumbsup: Note: You'll have to do some research for this.

This was in your rookie days, way before you dealt with the Phoenix. You have solved 2 cases so far, neither of which were particularly important. This one has been specially trusted to you by Captain Smith.

When you arrive at the crime scene, (171 Maycomb Avenue, Climax City, Maine) you see a relatively small apartment building. You have a forensics team and a couple armed police officers with you. You go up to the third floor. The staircase is shabby, and smells like old Indian food. You enter apartment 3A.

The first thing that hits you is the smell. It smells like the omelettes you sometimes make in the morning. Burnt and rotten. Ugh.

The next thing you notice is that the place is covered in random pieces of paper pinned to the walls. One of them just has the number 2, another has a picture of a bee, and then the same picture with a stop sign under it.

Then you notice the body. You kneel down to examine. Oliver Cooper. Young man, about 5'9'', age 24, engaged to Eva Ross. His skin is pale and he's on his stomach. There seems to be no outside wounds except one bloody axe is stuck in his back. The handle is about 2 feet long. The cut seems to go a little longer than the blade of the axe would provide. You wonder how this happened. One window is open, and there's a telephone hanging over the edge of the windowsill.

You explore the house more. You make a map. (which I will post in a second) The bedside table has a shelf full of interesting things... like his contact book! There is also a laptop inside his bag. The phone starts ringing and you pick it up. A clearly inhuman voice says,

"Do not chase the man who killed Mr. Cooper. You do not know what you are getting into. Just know my name is the Axe Murderer. But if you must, go find out where the papers may lead to find your next clue."

To start off, some rules. You are Brian Dennis, and you tell me what to do. I just tell you what happens when you do so. You have a pistol, a police badge, a taser, an interrogation room, a forensics team, and well, your handy dandy old notebook to write things down in. You can interview anyone you know, or you can investigate anything. If you need additional help from someone else, you will have to solve a riddle which I will provide.

Sometimes, in interviews, I'll call out WIT. That means you have to think up something to say in order to calm down the opponent. If it fails, then the person will not talk to you anymore. You can call out INSTINCT any time you want, and I'll do 3 steps based on what I would do, but you can only do this once every three days. Here's a new thing: COSTUME. You may dress up as another person and interrogate someone who refuses to talk to you. You will have to solve a riddle and describe your outfit. The riddle will give a hint to what would best work.

Edited by Cavenglok

1. The riddle is:

I stand in place, I live and grow.

My enemy drinks mother's blood.

And if it brings the final blow,

I will fall with a big, loud thud.

Do I need to use spoilers?

A coconut.

@Segul Um... look at it in a bigger picture.

@Thalia

2. Schedule looks normal. Breakfast, work at 9:00 AM, finishes 6:00 PM. Usually meets Eva around then to have dinner together in his apartment. Sleeps. Wakes up.

3. Eva was last with him.

4. Eva is now ready for questioning. I'll ask her "standard" questions, like where she was at the date of the murder, when she last met Oliver, any enemies, any suspicious phone calls or emails, etc. Go ahead and ask her more questions if you want to. A description of her parents' house will be shown after the interview. No map.

Dialogue: Eva Ross

Eva was clearly crying. She is in her parents' house, 89 Pilot Street. Gray tear marks are down her cheeks.

You: Hello. My name is Brian Dennis, and I'm the detective who's investigating the murder of Oliver Thomas Cooper. You knew him, I hear?

Eva: Yes. He was my fiancee.

You: Then I came to the right place. May I come in and ask you some questions?

Eva: Will it help to find the b****** who killed Ollie?

You: Yes.

Eva: Ask away.

You: Where were you on March 8th, 2011?

Eva: I was heading to Oliver's house. I found him there.

You: I see. Did Oliver have any enemies or such?

Eva: No, he didn't.

You: Huh. Any suspicious phone calls or emails?

Eva: Not that I know of, no.

Eva's parents' house is nice. It's the average American home with a front door and a back door. The kitchen is on the first floor, and two bedrooms on the second. The rug near the front door is beautiful, and by the looks of it, Middle-Eastern. It looks like it had just been made. A black table nearby holds two candlesticks and a few pictures. You look at them. Eva when she was young, her parents when they married, and Eva when she graduated. They have an empty frame next to the pictures. Seems to be where Eva's marriage picture was supposed to go.

When you go in the bedrooms, you run into the parents doing math and complaining that they had no money. You realize then that they were indeed poor and that Eva wasn't making their situation any better. You go to Eva's room. It's a faded pink with an old bed. The covers are dull pink and beige, but you notice that the beige used to be white. Everything here seems second-hand.

You examine Eva's shelves. Nothing real interesting, until you find a knife. Hmm. You wonder what she'd do with a knife. You also find a picture of Oliver, but it's dirty.

Bathroom looks fine. Again, faded paint. A grayish bathtub. You turn on the water. It's cold. The father yells at you for turning on precious water and wasting money. You apologize and immediately turn it off. The mirror is dusty.

Overall, a lot of things are faded. You take your shoes off the rug (it seems like the only new thing around here, give them a break!) and you leave.

1. The riddle is:

I stand in place, I live and grow.

My enemy drinks mother's blood.

And if it brings the final blow,

I will fall with a big, loud thud.

A tree. The enemy could be humans, mother's blood would be water, and the final blow (from an axe) brings it down with a crash.

What kind and brand of axe was used? Could it have been taken from his camping supplies?

Yes. It was a tree. The team finally determines that the date and time of the death was 4:44 PM on March 8th, 2011.

Not much else was on the table. A picture of Eva, a lamp, a couple of notebooks from work, and a pencil. You sift through the notebooks. He seems to be some sort of writer. There are all sorts of interesting documents here. Not much that would help you, though. You notice that all the notebooks look really ancient and muddy.

There's no brand identifiable. The axe has a crude handle, which suggests it was hand-made. The axe is much too big to be sensible enough for a camping trip. It's about two feet long. I'd like to see you carry that around in your belt. ..that sound wrong...

Apparently, he was an orphan, so no family. His best friend, Mark "Lightning" Samson, just got in town for his funeral.

Your right that sounds really wrong. I agree with Thalia unless he works at home which would make sense why the body was in the apartment. Maybe he took a sick day?

I decided to reboot Axe of Murder for anyone who wants to continue.

@Thalia According to Eva, there were only a few coworkers he was close to. Their names are Hank Allen and Tate Evans.

@EllaRD He, according to his boss, did not take a sick day. He just didn't come in that day. No calls, no emails, no nothing.

Nice to see you back, cavenglok. I know I'm joining this a bit late, but it sounds fun (and easier than Flying Dutchman! :lol: ).

Interview Eva's parents. Interview the co-workers. Ask Eva what the heck she was doing with him at 4:44 PM, and if she knows why he wasn't at work. If anybody's not talking, bring out the taser suggestively. *grins maniacally in anticipation*

You know, you should never have introduced the taser, cavenglok...

Edited by MissKitten

Hmm, let's see...

1. Do you know if Oliver had any enemies?

2. Do you know if your daughter had any enemies? [Oliver could've been killed to emotionally harm Eva...]

3. Do you or your wife have any enemies?

4. What is up with the carpet?

Max is Eva's dad, right?

If anybody else wants to add something, feel free.

All of you (two people) want to continue it. Okay then. :)

Some of you newcomers may not want to read the whole thing. I encourage you to at least read the original post on the first page. So far we learned that Eva Ross (the fiancee) lives with her family. Right now you're interrogating Max Ross, Eva's father.

Interrogation - Max Ross

You: So what's with the rug?

Max: (flinch) Sorry?

You: You have a shiny new rug. On the floor.

Max: (smiles stiffly) That's a gift from my friend. From Arabia.