BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Sorry i am posting a lot of math riddles but here is another one,

You are a 25 year old man and you are running in the olympics for a gold medal in a 20 mile race. You can run 9.0 miles per hour, one of your opponents can run 9.1, another of your opponents can run 9.5, and the last of your opponents can run 1.0 miles per hour. You have an energy bar that can make you run faster 0.6 miles per hour faster. It wears off after 1 minute. If you can use anytime you want what place will you come in and how far behind or ahead will you be?

2 answers to this question

Sorry i am posting a lot of math riddles but here is another one,

You are a 25 year old man and you are running in the olympics for a gold medal in a 20 mile race. You can run 9.0 miles per hour, one of your opponents can run 9.1, another of your opponents can run 9.5, and the last of your opponents can run 1.0 miles per hour. You have an energy bar that can make you run faster 0.6 miles per hour faster. It wears off after 1 minute. If you can use anytime you want what place will you come in and how far behind or ahead will you be?

Without any calculations, I feel 1 minute is a small time in 20 mile race, so energy bar will not help much.

Also 1.0 mile per hour speed of the last opponent is too less for this race. Clearly 9.5 miles speeder and 9.1 speeder will come first and second. The subject will come third (not bad !) and 1.0 will be last.

With Calculations -

First two opponents

9.5 miles per hour will take 20/9.5 = 2.10526316 Hours for the race

9.1 miles per hour will take 20/9.1 = 2.1978022 Hours

The hero will take

with energy bar 9.6 miles per hour for 1/60 Hour i.e. 9.6/60 miles = 0.16 Miles

Rest 19.84 miles at 9 miles per hour will take 2.20444444 Hours

Total 1/60 hours + 2.20444444 Hours = 2.22111111 Hours

The last opponent too slow, 1.0 miles per hour will take 20 hours to complete ...

Thats the exact answer I got. So I think I can assume that we are correct. The original poster resposted this with a slight modification where the last runner runs at a pace of 10 mph. The only thing this changes is the place you finish.

Without any calculations, I feel 1 minute is a small time in 20 mile race, so energy bar will not help much.

Also 1.0 mile per hour speed of the last opponent is too less for this race. Clearly 9.5 miles speeder and 9.1 speeder will come first and second. The subject will come third (not bad !) and 1.0 will be last.

With Calculations -

First two opponents

9.5 miles per hour will take 20/9.5 = 2.10526316 Hours for the race

9.1 miles per hour will take 20/9.1 = 2.1978022 Hours

The hero will take

with energy bar 9.6 miles per hour for 1/60 Hour i.e. 9.6/60 miles = 0.16 Miles

Rest 19.84 miles at 9 miles per hour will take 2.20444444 Hours

Total 1/60 hours + 2.20444444 Hours = 2.22111111 Hours

The last opponent too slow, 1.0 miles per hour will take 20 hours to complete ...