BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

wolfgang

Question

Someone wanted to study law ( at his own expense )in order to be a lawyer,he made a deal with his private teacher,

he said :after being a lawyer, if I win the first case ,and I`ll do my best to win it. , I`ll pay you three times more than the normal expenses.

but if I lose the first case, I will not pay you anything .

The teacher was quite sure that his student will be the best lawyer and he will win any case in the future, so he agreed to sign a contract with him accordingly.

After four years,the student fulfilled all the Law study requirements and became a lawyer.

He surprised his teacher when he said : Thank you , you made me a good lawyer, but I`ll not pay you anything !

The teacher raised a case against his student to oblige him paying the expenses.

His student is now a lawyer and he can defend himself, so he took the first case.

Now, if he wins his first case( which is ..not to pay the expenses),he will not pay according to the law.

and if he loses the case, he will not pay the expenses according to the contract.

The question is...how can the teacher get his money?

10 answers to this question

First, do not sue. Since the contract is predicated on the outcome of the first case, any declaration the student makes before then is moot. After the student tries his first case, if he wins then the teacher should be paid. If he sues the student then, he could win. (Not guaranteed, however, since the agreement is based on a wager).

Second: If the professor sues and wins the case, the judgement of the court wound supersede the original agreement, so the student would be legally bound to pay his teacher. Once again, they’d have to wait because no money is actually owed until the outcome of the first case is decided.

teacher should withdraw his case,thus first case is over without any outcome and then file another case . or file the first case not demanding any money but breach of contract.(coz student declined to pay altogether) demanding

teacher should withdraw his case,thus first case is over without any outcome and then file another case . or file the first case not demanding any money but breach of contract.(coz student declined to pay altogether) demanding

Thats almost right....see,the student had breached the contract,as he declined to pay all together, thus...

1-he had no chance to win the case.

2-if he lose the case,he should pay(where the contract works no longer).

so the teacher should not withdraw his case.

Thank you