BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

maheshrvyas

Question

Suppose you are a manager of a company, CEO of the company asks you to receive a guest (his name is “Michael”) at airport. You have never met the guest. Once you reach airport, you simply put name plate as “Michael”.

After some time a guest approaches you and introduced himself as Michael and also tell you how to correctly spell his name i.e. “Mikal”.

Say after a month, again you are asked to receive that same guest, How to you spell in the name plate? Correct one or incorrect one.

7 answers to this question

A neat response would be that the greeter should...

Use the incorrect spelling. The visitor (who had also met you for only the first time and could have forgotten some details after the month gap) would more likely recognize the combination of both your face and the same misspelled name as before. Because you were asked to receive the same visitor later, the visitor was likely correct to begin with.

Edited by Valic4

it would depend on the temperament of the guest..if he found it humorous the first time, it could be used as an ongoing joke:D..as "Valic4" stated, it would more than likely help the guest to recognize you again..on the other hand..if you found the first time, that the guest was offended:angry:, then i would definitely make sure the name is spelled correctly..the CEO would not be to happy if you managed to lose his biggest client on the basis of such a simple offense, and you would probably not have a job for too much longer..but, like i said..it all depends on who they are..if you can't tell, then i suggest the correct spelling, or maybe a Mr. ------ sign

This kind of sounds like one of those oops moments..jw, but has this happened to you in the past or recently?;)

"Mikal". It's just downright rude to mis-spell someone's name once given the correct spelling. As Brain Tickler says, if you know the guy has a good sense of humor, you may get away with "Michael (Exclamation point smiley face)." As an example, see what your own reaction is when the person at the end of the phone calls you by the wrong name for the 2nd and 3rd time.......

As this is a question that doesn't need to get a certain answer: i would say both.It is better being embarashed for some seconds to some people that you will never (Probably) meet (end if you do, you can easily explain the situation) than losing your job