BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

wolfgang

Question

Hi again.....

My wife never do what I tell her!she follows always her own system.

we have 5 places to store our clothes,only one of them is suitable,the others not.

according to her system,if I tell her to put the clothes in place No. 1(e.g.),she will put them in place No. 3

if I say No. 2.........she`ll put them in 1

No. 3........in 4

No. 4.......in 2

No. 5........in 5

what shall I do to ensure that she`ll put our clothes always in the same place whatever the number could be?

18 answers to this question

Sorry for my long thinkroll. im not good writer in this language.

"Dont but them in No. 2!"

if she follows her system then the meaning of "Dont put them in 2" means, that she will not put the clothes in No 1. , If she cant put the clothes in No. 1, then accordingli to her system, she couldnt put the clothes in nr 3 also. And if she cant put them in nr 3, then according to her system, she couldnt but them in nr 4 and if she cannot put them in 4, she couldnt put them in 2. That makes a paradox for your wife and the only place, where she could put the clothes, is No 5.

That also works with any other number from 1 to 4. and anything you say, your clothes should always be in 5th place.

ofcourse, if your wife could think of another system, then your srewed again.

Hi again.....

My wife never do what I tell her!she follows always her own system.

we have 5 places to store our clothes,only one of them is suitable,the others not.

according to her system,if I tell her to put the clothes in place No. 1(e.g.),she will put them in place No. 3

if I say No. 2.........she`ll put them in 1

No. 3........in 4

No. 4.......in 2

No. 5........in 5

what shall I do to ensure that she`ll put our clothes always in the same place whatever the number could be?

I may not have the right sense of "whatever the number could be" but ...

How about']Put them in 5?

Sorry for my long thinkroll. im not good writer in this language.

"Dont but them in No. 2!"

if she follows her system then the meaning of "Dont put them in 2" means, that she will not put the clothes in No 1. , If she cant put the clothes in No. 1, then accordingli to her system, she couldnt put the clothes in nr 3 also. And if she cant put them in nr 3, then according to her system, she couldnt but them in nr 4 and if she cannot put them in 4, she couldnt put them in 2. That makes a paradox for your wife and the only place, where she could put the clothes, is No 5.

That also works with any other number from 1 to 4. and anything you say, your clothes should always be in 5th place.

ofcourse, if your wife could think of another system, then your srewed again.

nice try.....but first try to find her system ,then you can find the solution .

????.....and..!!

just enter the number you want into the formula and tell her the resulting number and she'll place it in the correct (original number) bin.

she seems to be multiplying the given number by 3 and counting the bins from one to that number (when reaching five, she returns to one). I guess you could simply give her a fraction like 1/3, 2/3, 5/3, etc. to simplify, but I still like my formula

|Nx3%10-5|

Edited by wolfcry911

just enter the number you want into the formula and tell her the resulting number and she'll place it in the correct (original number) bin.

she seems to be multiplying the given number by 3 and counting the bins from one to that number (when reaching five, she returns to one). I guess you could simply give her a fraction like 1/3, 2/3, 5/3, etc. to simplify, but I still like my formula

|Nx3%10-5|

good trial.....but not the correct one.

Lets suppose the places are just...5 Bags in a row.

and I want my wife to put the clothes always in the bag No. 4.

that means I should do something which give her no chance to put the clothes

anywhere else, even if I tell her to put them in any other bag.

I do not understand the question.

If you want her to put it in 4, then ask her to put it in 3.

According to your table, if you ask her to put it in 3, she will always put it in 4, where you actually want it.

If you want her to put it in 3, ask her to put it in 1... etc,

I don't understand what you are asking if it is not this.

I do not understand the question.

If you want her to put it in 4, then ask her to put it in 3.

According to your table, if you ask her to put it in 3, she will always put it in 4, where you actually want it.

If you want her to put it in 3, ask her to put it in 1... etc,

I don't understand what you are asking if it is not this.

I mean...when I say put it in 1...she must put it in 4

and if I say put it in 2 she must put it in 4 ...and so on.

that means I have to do something to break her system !

Edited by wolfgang

Have all places locked and when you tell ur wife to put it in #1, give #1 key along with it.

PS: Im facing some problem with forums, when i post first time, it comes back (when i start by clicking on the fast reply box below) .. i have to reenter and post again.

she is taking your number, multiplying it by 2 and counting that many to the right, or multiplying it by 3 and counting to the left. This is pretty much what wolfcry911 said.

If you can't:

- put each cupboard/bag inside eachother like Matrioshka dolls

- stop her from counting places

- just let her put the beeping clothes wherever she wants to

- or get rid of the wife

... then it looks like there is a problem with the question O_o

well, I first misunderstood the problem - I didn't register that only one bin was correct for the clothes.

Here's what to do:

re-order the bins to be 4,1,3,5,2 and she'll always put the clothes in bin 5