BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

The local bus driver told me that last week, his bus was almost full of people. After his final stop of the day, the bus was totally empty, but not a single person got off the bus. How is this possible?

The bus driver told you that his bus WAS full (a week ago). The final stop of the day doesn't specify if the bus was empty last week or the current day. Therefore the bus could have been empty the current day because no one got on the bus, but almost full last week because a lot of people got on.

The bus driver told you that his bus WAS full (a week ago). The final stop of the day doesn't specify if the bus was empty last week or the current day. Therefore the bus could have been empty the current day because no one got on the bus, but almost full last week because a lot of people got on.

I like your answer but it's incorrect. When I said "the final stop of the day" I meant the final stop of that same day. Nice try, keep guessing! ;)

Edited by Katelyn

It was the bus drivers last stop, not the bus's or the peoples. The bus drivers last stop brought on a new driver while the rest got off on subsequent stops.

OK, I know not solution but may lead to it...

Edited by Zane Stone

Everyone who was on the bus was not single. i.e. they all had significant others, spouses, special friends. Their respective partners don't even have to be on the bus because a single person could get off as long as they are not single...

A double-decker bus with an open top floor. By the end of the day the sun came out and everyone went to the top level to enjoy the sun. Thus nobody was actually 'in' the bus, but people were 'on' the bus.

It was the bus drivers last stop, not the bus's or the peoples. The bus drivers last stop brought on a new driver while the rest got off on subsequent stops.

OK, I know not solution but may lead to it...

Well, that's a good try, but it's not the right answer. Sorry.

Everyone who was on the bus was not single. i.e. they all had significant others, spouses, special friends. Their respective partners don't even have to be on the bus because a single person could get off as long as they are not single...

YOU WIN!!!!!! :thumbsup:

That was fast!

A double-decker bus with an open top floor. By the end of the day the sun came out and everyone went to the top level to enjoy the sun. Thus nobody was actually 'in' the bus, but people were 'on' the bus.

Haha, well it says at the last stop the bus was totally empty. That includes the top part of the double decker bus.

The local bus driver told me that last week, his bus was almost full of people. After his final stop of the day, the bus was totally empty, but not a single person got off the bus. How is this possible?

because the bus was almost full last week not on this day.

I think they were sitting on the roof.

I'm going to add a bit to this one, even if it is "solved".

"The local bus driver told me that last week, his bus was almost full of people. After his final stop of the day, the bus was totally empty, but not a single person got off the bus. How is this possible?"

The second sentence is introduced using the phrase "After his final stop of the day." The bus being totally empty is irrelevant. Our interest lies with people getting off the bus. So, say he has four stops. Sure, it's almost full for stop 2. Everyone gets off, say, at stop 4 (the last stop). After the last stop, (a) the bus is empty, and (b) nobody gets off.

Basically, I'm interpreting the sentence as "Not a single person got off the bus after his final stop of the day." They had all gotten off previously.