BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

We have a number. All the digits of this number are different from one another and all the digits except the first and the last have a greater value than the mean of its neighbors (i.e. the digits immediately to the left and to the right).

What can this number be at maximum?

16 answers to this question

I too got 3,689,740. But thinking outside the box, if you are looking for the greatest magnitude and you let the - sign fall on the 1 when comparing neighbor averages you get -13,689,740.

I found a 8 digit number:

So I completely missed the part about all the digits needing to be different. With that in mind, I now get the following number:

Just out of curiosity, what would be the largest number be if duplicate digits were allowed? See the first spoiler in this post for my answer.

All but one person have forgotten the main caveat of the puzzle: "the digits immediately to the left and to the right"

I take this to mean one digit from the left side and one digit from the right side. That being said, a 9 can be nowhere in the number except at the beginning or end.

The largest base number in the decimal (base-10) system is 9863.

Even larger numbers can be expressed if the size of the base is increased, such as base-16, or if the digit(s) at the end of the number could be raised as an exponent (for example 9863).

Edited by Dej Mar

Ignore my last post. Was in the middle of correcting it when accidently pasted the incorrect text...then unfortunately time ran out when I was editting it.

The largest base number in the decimal (base-10) system is 3689740.

Even larger numbers can be expressed if the size of the base is increased, such as base-16, or if the digit(s) at the end of the number could be lowered as a base representation of the number (for example 3689740) or raised as an exponent (for example 3689740).

Edited by Dej Mar

I got the same as the others.

Here's my logic.

For any digit, x, let's call it's neighbors

x+y and x+z

the mean of these is x + (y+z)/2

this is less than x when

y+z < 0

That is, the sum of differences of going from the current digit to either of it's neighbors must be negative overall.

The highest digit is thus kind of like the top of a mountain, with all other digits decreasing as you head in either direction from that position.

So, 9 is the top of this mountain.

It's neighbors must be lower than it, but we don't want them to be that much lower than it because slower decrease means more digits means larger overall number.

So it is logical to say that the neighbors are 8 and 7.

2 choices then, 897 and 798.

Choose the bigger one.

Now, 8 needs another neighbor such that the sum of differences between the neighbors and 8 is negative.

on the right side of 8 is a +1 to get to 9.

This means that the left side of 8 must at least be a -2 or lower.

A -2 gives 6

On the right side for the 7, we already have a +2 to go from 7 to 9, so we need at least a -3

On the left side we have a +2, so we need a -3

On the right side we have a +3, so we need a -4

voila

Edited by mmiguel1

We have a number. All the digits of this number are different from one another and all the digits except the first and the last have a greater value than the mean of its neighbors (i.e. the digits immediately to the left and to the right).

What can this number be at maximum?