BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

"Okay." The police officer says. "Three weeks ago, a man was murdered. We suspected someone in the military almost immediately because of the presicion with which this murder was executed. We have confirmed this fact." He looks accusingly at the three men lined up in front of him, all muscular and a good head taller than him. "We have narrowed down the culprit to one of you three. At the time of the crime, what were you doing?" The first man, a member of Delta Force, said "I was on a mission in Afghanistan, investigating a report of nuclear weapons." The second man, a Navy SEAL, said "I was in Iraq, rescuing an al-Qaida hostage." The third man, a Green Beret, says "I was in Sudan, countering a guerilla campaign there." The police officed promptly handcuffed the murderer and took him into custody. Who was it, and how do you know?

Note: all of the military records say all thre men were on duty. One of these, of course, is wrong.

Edited by NickFleming

Navy SEAL. The puzzle describes all three men as a head taller than the police officer. The man's height would restrict him from duty with the SEALs, but not so for the Green Beret and the member of Delta Force.

Unless the police officer is 4' tall...

"Okay." The police officer says. "Three weeks ago, a man was murdered. We suspected someone in the military almost immediately because of the presicion with which this murder was executed. We have confirmed this fact." He looks accusingly at the three men lined up in front of him, all muscular and a good head taller than him. "We have narrowed down the culprit to one of you three. At the time of the crime, what were you doing?" The first man, a member of Delta Force, said "I was on a mission in Afghanistan, investigating a report of nuclear weapons." The second man, a Navy SEAL, said "I was in Iraq, rescuing an al-Qaida hostage." The third man, a Green Beret, says "I was in Sudan, countering a guerilla campaign there." The police officed promptly handcuffed the murderer and took him into custody. Who was it, and how do you know?

Note: all of the military records say all thre men were on duty. One of these, of course, is wrong.

It is the 2nd military man.....why would you rescue an Al Quaida hostage?

Also, the Navy is in Afghanistan. A close friend of mine spent a year there as part of his stint in the Navy. He was tasked as a guard in a detention facility.

Stil lthe Delta Force guy because Al-Qaida wasn't in Iraq.

Though you gave the hint:

The missions aren't important.

;)
it would seem they do play a part in the alibi.

"Three weeks ago, a man was murdered....At the time of the crime, what were you doing?"

The Green Beret says he was in Sudan, countering a guerilla campaign. This action could have occurred three weeks prior. The Navy SEAL says he was in Iraq, rescuing an al-Qaida hostage. This action, too, could have occurred three weeks prior. The member of Delta Force is the one that must be lying. First, a mission of investigating a report of nuclear weapons would be ongoing and would not have been completed within the last three weeks, unless the report was confirmed. Nonetheless, second, the mission itself is not one that would be peformed by a Combat Applications Group, but by special investigators, i.e., "spies" of the CIA.

Of course, the "fish out of water" is the police officer. If the three soldiers are American soldiers and the commission of the crime occurred in the US three weeks prior, the jurisdiction over the soldier would be with the military. It would require the appropriate MP (military police) officer of the CID (Criminal Investigation Command) or the (NCIS) Naval Criminal Investigative Service to make the arrest. In addition, the three soldiers are of two separate branches of the military. The CID would not have jurisdiction over the Navy SEAL and the NCIS would not have jurisdiction over the Green Beret. Only the member of the Delta Force might be under either jurisdiction, as they are under the USSOCOM (United States Special Operations Command), a command that is a joint operational command.

So a question arises....

Navy Seal in Iraq is very unlikely....gotta be him.

Delta force - they will not confirm or deny memebrship with that org. Anyone who claims to be Delta Force is lying or trying to chase tail.

There we go. I was afraid I didn't phrase it right. I feel so small :blush:. Solved poll soon. And thanks JoeyD. And its okay Gaylord, little sisters can be evil :lol:

Delta force - they will not confirm or deny memebrship with that org. Anyone who claims to be Delta Force is lying or trying to chase tail.

Solved by kravenmoore in post #36

Edited by NickFleming

The answer was obvious if you know much about special forces, or if you've ever read "Black Hawk Down"

Delta force is an almost completely "black" group. They offiicialy don'texist, hence forth, you don't claim to b one, even if you are.

I found no solution given.

Though the majority of the operations assigned to Delta Force are highly classified and not released to the public, that "they will not confirm or deny membership with that organization" is not a valid argument that it was the soldier from Delta Force that was lying.

The statement "Delta force - they will not confirm or deny memebrship with that org. Anyone who claims to be Delta Force is lying or trying to chase tail" has no bearing on the soldier's veracity. We are already given that he is a member of Delta Force, not that he was someone only claiming to be a member of the organization, and given in the questioning by the police officer, he had neither confirmed or denied being a member of the organization.

And, under the circumstances of the murder, if indeed the military released the three soldiers to civilian control, it is not strange that they permitted the Delta Force member to give the vague statement or false cover story about "investigating a report of nuclear weapons" or even being forthcoming that his location at the time was in Afghanistan - if indeed the soldier's actual mission was completed, whatever that mission might have really been.