BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

The king dies and two men, the true heir and an impostor, both claim to be his long-lost son. Both fit the description of the rightful heir: about the right age, height, coloring and general appearance. Finally, one of the elders proposes a test to identify the true heir. One man agrees to the test while the other flatly re-fuses. The one who agreed is immediately sent on his way, and the one who re-fused is correctly identified as the rightful heir. Can you figure out why?

8 answers to this question

Why would an impostor readily agree to a blood test?

Good question. I just found it on internet and decided to share. Maybe he was the king's grandfather's daughter-by-his second-wife's grandson, and therefore had similar bloodtype :D

Edited by NickFleming

Why would an impostor readily agree to a blood test?

Something just doesnt seem right about this...The real heir would know about the family history of Hemophilia - and would probably AGREE for the blood test becoz the test would actually confirm the family trait. The Imposter, on the other hand, would in all likelihood refuse the test considering a DNA analysis would give him away.

Something just doesnt seem right about this...The real heir would know about the family history of Hemophilia - and would probably AGREE for the blood test becoz the test would actually confirm the family trait. The Imposter, on the other hand, would in all likelihood refuse the test considering a DNA analysis would give him away.

I think the original poster believed the real heir would avoid the blood test because he'd perhaps bleed to death. From what I read about the disease, though, hemophilia is a) largely a problem with internal bleeding, b) in all but the most severe cases does not *prevent* (it only *slows*) clotting, and so is not a death sentence, and c) can be easily treated with replacement therapy.

I agree with you that if the imposter knew about the hemophilia, he would avoid the test, because a blood test could pick it up.

Although fun in theory, this riddle sorta falls apart in reality.