BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Subtraction

rookie1ja

Subtraction - Back to the River Crossing Puzzles

How many times can you subtract the number 2 from the number 32?

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.

Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Subtraction - solution

Once. After you subtract 2 from 32, you subtract 2 from 30, from 28, and so on.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you only want to work w/ positive #s, 2 can be substracted frrom 32 16 times till you get to 0:

30, 28, 26, 24, 22, 20, 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 0

Otherwise you can subtract 2 from 32 an unlimited # of times. Just go into negatives:

10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 0, -2, -4, -6, -8, -10

• Downvote 1

If you only want to work w/ positive #s, 2 can be substracted frrom 32 16 times till you get to 0:

30, 28, 26, 24, 22, 20, 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 0

Otherwise you can subtract 2 from 32 an unlimited # of times. Just go into negatives:

10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 0, -2, -4, -6, -8, -10

You don't seem to get the gist of the riddle. It's not a math problem. You can only subtract 2 from 32 once because after that you are subtracting 2 from a number that isn't 32.

That reminds me of these riddles:

How many cookies can you eat with an empty stomach? 1!

How many books can fit in an empty schoolbag? 1!

This isn't a riddle - it's just stupid.

But even if it were a little more clever, there are so many "correct" answers (infinite, once b/c then it's 30, once b/c then all you have is a 3...) that there's no way to know which one is ultimately going to be considered the right answer.

Don't get me wrong, most of the riddles on this site are good - this one is just so below par I felt compelled to criticize.

• Downvote 1

This isn't a riddle - it's just stupid.

But even if it were a little more clever, there are so many "correct" answers (infinite, once b/c then it's 30, once b/c then all you have is a 3...) that there's no way to know which one is ultimately going to be considered the right answer.

Don't get me wrong, most of the riddles on this site are good - this one is just so below par I felt compelled to criticize.

I like the riddle. I like putting this type in between deep logic puzzles - just to remember you that some things are quite simple

There is one idea no one has considered. Consider 32 as the magnitude of a vector. If you think about 2 as the magnitude of another vector, then subtracting can result in a vector with magnitude between 30 and 34 inclusive. Using this logic, there are 2 vectors of length 2, which when subtracted from the vector of magnitude 32 result in another vector of magnitude 32. This means you could subtract different vectors of magnitude 2 from many vectors of magnitude 32 an infinite number of times.

I realize this is not the point of the riddle. I just thought it might be interesting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...