BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

If in each corner of a square room ther was a monkey and you asked a monkey how many monkeys it was looking at how many monkeys would it say?

For the sake of this riddle just imagine that the monkey can talk.

Depends... He could say two because you're blocking the view of the other one... Or if he believes in evolution he could say three...

:P

Humans are not monkeys. You can correctly refer to humans as primates or simians or apes.... but not monkeys. :thumbsup:

If you read the hint that I had given you, this is a misleading riddle. I probably just gave the answer away.. haha

no to all three. Ok heres a good hint that everyone might get.

Assuming direct line of sight and a peripheral vision on only a plane, i would say that the monkey would say four. The first would be the one on the direct diagonal. the second and third would be on the other diagonal. and the fourth would be above the first. it can't look straight up so the one above it wouldn't count. Same with the ones above the second and third monkeys.

Even if you assume monkeys can talk can you assume they can count? I think the monkey would say 4. There are no handholds for the upper corners so I assume there are not monkey's there. That leaves the three monkeys in the corners of the room and you (monkey can't distinguish between monkey and human).

If in each corner of a square room ther was a monkey and you asked a monkey how many monkeys it was looking at how many monkeys would it say?

I take the term was to mean he is the only monkey in the room and at some point in time he visited each corner. Since it is the only monkey in the room he would reply zero since he can not look at himself.

Nothing specifies that the monkey in question is one of the monkeys in the square room. Assuming the monkey in question is looking at the asker, it would probably say 1 (assuming it believes the asker to be a monkey) or is would say 0 if it believes the asker is not a monkey.

The answer is eight. The monkey which was asked this question is not one of the eight monkeys at each corner of the room.

I shall assume the monkey is intelligent enough to speak -- at least with signing as some primates have shown the ability to do. I shall also assume a square room is standard and cubic, thus it will have 8 corners (four on the floor and four on the ceiling). I shall also assume the monkey queried is in one of these corners. I shall also assume that the meaning of looking is not limited to a fixated position, but that the monkey can look at each and all corners of the room (but his own). He might then say/"sign" that there are 7 monkeys he can see.

The monkey responds through the use of his fingers to represent binary digits and answers with 4. Incidentally, I don't think he's happy to be in the corner.

You can imagine that the monkey can talk all you want but he really cant talk cause hes an animal. So therefore he would not know what you are saying and not respond. The word "imagine" is the misleading word.

You all are reading into it way too much haha. read the second hint that i put up. this is a misleading riddle.

I don't see any way to logically answer this, the information in the riddle leaves too many unknowns.

First the word "was", as pointed out earlier, eliminates the knowledge there are any monkeys in the room at the time of the asking.

Second, what monkey are you asking ("you asked a monkey"), one that was in the room or just some random monkey on the street, you could be talking to a money in a barrel of monkeys.

Third, Just because the monkey was in the vicinity of other monkeys he may not be looking at any, or just the cute one, or the odd looking one.

Forth, the second word "was" ("how many monkeys it was looking at") this can now open the answer to "any" monkey it had ever seen, ever. Could be a lot of monkeys.

So, I love a good riddle, I can't wait for the answer, I hope I slap my forehead and say "Ohhhh!"