BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Pirates of Penzance Mafia

I'm hoping to start the game by Monday, so I'm posting signups now.

Pirates of Penzance Mafia.

Prelude Night: Pour the pirate sherry.

Frederic was in his cabin, counting the minutes until he reached his twenty-first year. He was a member of the Pirates through an error, and he vowed to spend the rest of his life eliminating them. But Ruth was about to reveal his secret to the Pirates and he wouldn't be able to leave for another sixty-three years.

~~~

The pirates were enjoying a midnight cup of rum.

"So. What do we do with Freddy?" Asked Samuel.

"We're approaching an Island. We'll reach it tomorrow. We'll plunder it and leave him stranded."

"What about Ruth?"

"Who cares. She's not one of us. (Although she's more willing than Frederic.) She'll prove her loyalty, or get out."

"Oho!"

At that moment, a new visitor arrived.

"Excuse me, but I have some information you might want to hear."

The Pirate King grinned. That was what he wanted to hear.

~~~

Major General Stanley was sitting by his bedroom window at midnight slowly sipping a cup of tea. He could just make out the outline of a ship in the distance, approaching the island. He knew something was wrong immediately. Any ship on an official visit would be illuminated. This ship must carry criminals. Cloaked in darkness. He must remember to send a message to the Sergeant in the morning.

~~~

As it turned out, the Sergeant didn't need a message. He had received a report that the Pirates had left the mainland this morning and seemed to be heading to a small Island, about forty eight hours from the coast. The Sergeant vowed to arrest everyone on the island, believing that it was the Pirates headquarters. Little did he know, it would be more than just enemies there.

GOODIES: Win if the pirates are eliminated.

Frederic: Can learn the identity of another player each night.

Major General Stanly: Can attempt an RID kill each night. Cannot be killed at night.

Mabel: Can redirect a target each night. If she does not act, she can instead change a vote in lynch during the day.

Edith: Can send out a warning to any player each day/night cycle. If the warning is sent at night, any actions that might have affected the character are blocked. During the day, the warning can allow the warned player to change someones vote, but only if the vote was originally on them.

Kate: Can fake an action each night. She chooses a role and a target. The action is posted in the night post, but didn't actually happen. If the action is a kill or an arrest, the night post says it was blocked or something similar. Cannot fake Ruth.

Isabelle: Can attempt an RID on one arrested player each night. If RID is successful, that player is freed.

BADDIES (Pirates): Win if the Sergeant is eliminated and are in the majority.

Has BTSC

Has one group kill each night.

Pirate King: Can spy on one player each night, learning their identity, and what they did that night.

Ruth: Being a maid-of-all-work, she gets a random ability each night.

Samuel: Can block a player each night.

INDEPENDENT: Wins if the majority of the (living) players are in jail.

Sergeant: Can arrest one person each night. Until the player is freed, they cannot post or act. They are as good as dead. Arrested players can be freed in certain circumstances. A free player may sacrifice himself to free someone in jail, Isabelle (and sometimes Ruth) can free players, and every night, there is a chance of one lucky player escaping. The chance of escaping gets higher with more people in the jail. All of the arrested players are freed if the Sergeant dies.

Host: Blah

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

Edited by Blablah99

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Host: Blah

1)

2)

3)

4) Harvey

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

What are the initial chances of an arrested player escaping, and how much does it increase by with each new arrested player?

Well, the Sergeant needs 6 players to win initially. I roll a die to see if someone escapes. If the die lands on the number of arrested players or less, a player escapes.

Pirates of Penzance Mafia.

Prelude Night: Pour the pirate sherry.

Frederic was in his cabin, counting the minutes until he reached his twenty-first year. He was a member of the Pirates through an error, and he vowed to spend the rest of his life eliminating them. But Ruth was about to reveal his secret to the Pirates and he wouldn't be able to leave for another sixty-three years.

~~~

The pirates were enjoying a midnight cup of rum.

"So. What do we do with Freddy?" Asked Samuel.

"We're approaching an Island. We'll reach it tomorrow. We'll plunder it and leave him stranded."

"What about Ruth?"

"Who cares. She's not one of us. (Although she's more willing than Frederic.) She'll prove her loyalty, or get out."

"Oho!"

At that moment, a new visitor arrived.

"Excuse me, but I have some information you might want to hear."

The Pirate King grinned. That was what he wanted to hear.

~~~

Major General Stanley was sitting by his bedroom window at midnight slowly sipping a cup of tea. He could just make out the outline of a ship in the distance, approaching the island. He knew something was wrong immediately. Any ship on an official visit would be illuminated. This ship must carry criminals. Cloaked in darkness. He must remember to send a message to the Sergeant in the morning.

~~~

As it turned out, the Sergeant didn't need a message. He had received a report that the Pirates had left the mainland this morning and seemed to be heading to a small Island, about forty eight hours from the coast. The Sergeant vowed to arrest everyone on the island, believing that it was the Pirates headquarters. Little did he know, it would be more than just enemies there.

GOODIES: Win if the pirates are eliminated.

Frederic: Can learn the identity of another player each night.

Major General Stanly: Can attempt an RID kill each night. Cannot be killed at night.

Mabel: Can redirect a target each night. If she does not act, she can instead change a vote in lynch during the day.

Edith: Can send out a warning to any player each day/night cycle. If the warning is sent at night, any actions that might have affected the character are blocked. The character also cannot act. During the day, the warning can allow the warned player to either change a vote (if the vote was originally on them), or make them drop out of lynch altogether. That is Edith's choice.

Kate: Can fake an action each night. She chooses a role and a target. The action is posted in the night post, but didn't actually happen. If the action is a kill or an arrest, the night post says it was blocked or something similar. Cannot fake Ruth.

Isabelle: Can attempt an RID on one arrested player each night. If RID is successful, that player is freed.

BADDIES (Pirates): Win if the Sergeant is eliminated and are in the majority.

Has BTSC

Has one group kill each night.

Pirate King: Can spy on one player each night, learning their identity, and what they did that night.

Ruth: Being a maid-of-all-work, she gets a random ability each night.

Samuel: Can block a player each night.

INDEPENDENT: Wins if the majority of the (living) players are in jail.

Sergeant: Can arrest one person each night. Until the player is freed, they cannot post or act. They are as good as dead. Arrested players can be freed in certain circumstances. A free player may sacrifice himself to free someone in jail, Isabelle (and sometimes Ruth) can free players, and every night, there is a chance of one lucky player escaping. The chance of escaping gets higher with more people in the jail. All of the arrested players are freed if the Sergeant dies.

1) yuiop

2) Filly

3) LJ

4) Harvey

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

I changed Edith's action to be less like Mabels.

Each day/night is around 24 hours. I will give more information preceding each day/night.

In the case of a tie lynch, no one dies, but everyone in the tie has an extra vote on them the next day.

I just noticed that the Sergeant's wincon is extremely difficult. If the arrested player acted within two hours of the Sergeant, he has a 25% chance of arresting the players target as well. This is just to give the Sergeant a slightly easier time.

blablah the reason I was asking was that I am on a very different timezone than most people and dont want to not be able to be arouond for day/night ends :)

me too (im in china) :P

So, this is my first time playing Mafia... Not sure how well this will go... lol

You should check out before playing. I'm pretty sure every other mafia player on BD has read it, and it is a really useful tool to help newbies get started.

Edited by harvey45

Heh, I've actually read it 3 times so far and plan to read it again before this thing starts.

But, I doubt I will fully grasp it until I start playing.

Rest assured, you're not the only one ;)

Edited by LJayden

Slick...that makes almost no sense.

1) yuiop

2) Filly

3) LJ

4) Harvey

5) Glycereine

6) Hirkala

7) slick

8) Molly Mae

9) GMaster479

10)

Backups :

1) Abhisk

2)

3)

I think this can start sometime this coming week if we get one more person and possibly one more back-up

That message was directed to Blahblah so, I will be removed in the case that I'm a goodie.