BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

A ship is battling against the tide to safety. It uses 9.5 gallons of fuel every hour and sails at 23 mph. It is 34 miles from safety but the flow against it is 12 mph. It has 30 gallons of fuel left. Will it reach safety ?

16 answers to this question

Yes, by the skin of it's teeth. It's gaining 11 mph, which will take 3 hours and 5.5 minutes to arrive. It will take approximately 29.75 gallons of gas to get there. Whew! That was a close one!!!

Yes, by the skin of it's teeth. It's gaining 11 mph, which will take 3 hours and 5.5 minutes to arrive. It will take approximately 29.75 gallons of gas to get there. Whew! That was a close one!!!

that was indeed a close one.. (i mean your answer) :)

but still not the correct one

With current working against the ship it will not get the same gas milage. I figured you will only go 11 miles on 9.5 gallons of gas that brings your gas milage down to about 1.158 m/g and you have 30 gallons that will get you 34.75 miles

With a little less fuel used, 29.36 of the 30 gallons consumed.

Edited by fchild

The ship moves at 11mph, and 9.5gph.

the ship has 30 gallons, meaning it has a maximum of (approx) 3.16 hours of fuel left.

moving at 11mph, we can move about (approx) 34.7 miles before running out of fuel. aka we made it alive.

also, what kind of "ship" (makes me think grand scale) uses "gallons" of fuel? Maybe i just dont know ship architecture today.

Edited by novah

The ship may be battling against the tide at the start of the problem, but the tide will slacken in time. 6 hours after full tide (approx.) it will be on the turn, so, my answer is that if the figure is the maximum tidal flow, then as the flow eases, it will make more headway, and thus make the harbour easily. If this isn't the maximum flow, then the ship won't make it, but that's the fault of the captain. He has tide tables, and he should wait outside the tidal flow until slack water, and come in as the tide is making. Then the flow will be with him!!!!

B))-_-

A ship is battling against the tide to safety. It uses 9.5 gallons of fuel every hour and sails at 23 mph. It is 34 miles from safety but the flow against it is 12 mph. It has 30 gallons of fuel left. Will it reach safety ?

the ship is sailing at 23mph, which means that is how fast it is going regardless of the tide against it. So it will make it to safe harbour easily in 1 hr 29 mins and using ~14 gallons of fuel

How can the tide be coming from the shore?

If it goes toward the shore, I figure it has to come back some time. Also, no one said "safety" is on the shore ;)

Yes

Is the ship affected by the use of the fuel? does it get lighter, and maybe can move faster or get more miles out of each gallon?

I don't know much about ships...