BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

One bag has 60 coins. Now the problem has DOUBLE the easiness

One day you got kidnapped and the only way to be free was to divide 1,083 coins into the least amount of bags so you could make any amount of money, how do you do so?

Here are the amounts: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, and 60.resulting in 11 bags.

Edited by ThisIsALie

5 answers to this question

Arbelle, in your answer you can't make 2, 5, and many other numbers. I don't think you understood this but here is another riddle similar to this

You come across a bank. You come to withdraw coins. There are 1,083 coins in your bank acount. You want to make sure you can get any amount of money the quickest unless it's more than 1,083. How do you divide the coins? If you don't answer right then you will be late for work, lose your job and living, and become a hobo. So you better act quickly in 1,000 sec. 999 sec. 998 sec...

You are creating a monetary system measured in florins with only whole number denominations (ie pounds but no pence, dollars but no cents, florins but no shillings). You want to have the least number of denominations necessary that anyone with one of each note is able to pay any amount up to 1083 florins without duplicating a note.

Arbelle, in your answer you can't make 2, 5, and many other numbers. I don't think you understood this but here is another riddle similar to this

You come across a bank. You come to withdraw coins. There are 1,083 coins in your bank acount. You want to make sure you can get any amount of money the quickest unless it's more than 1,083. How do you divide the coins? If you don't answer right then you will be late for work, lose your job and living, and become a hobo. So you better act quickly in 1,000 sec. 999 sec. 998 sec...

I have to be honest and say the question was not really worded in a way to know what you were looking for. I do understand now but only after reading Semper Rideo's post above.

The denomination method is the classic example of this type of problem.