BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

You have a wooden board (figure 1.), you would like to make chessboard (8x8) from that. After a little cogitation you notice that you can draw two squares in the top right and in the bottom left rectangles as well and with this size of square you have exactly the required area of board.

How can you make the chessboard with one continuous cut?

deszka.png

figure 1.

NOTE: it’s an easy one, use spoiler

7 answers to this question

Please post the dimensions of figure 1. Otherwise, one has to guess to insure making a square.

I really like this puzzle because it has just enough information to solve it, and no more (e.g. You DON'T need the dimensions posted as part of the puzzle).

The two little sections jutting out make up 4 squares, and we're told the total area exactly makes up the 8x8 chessboard, so the remaining large rectangle must be exactly 60 squares. The most obvious choice is 10x6 (and it might be the only choice, though I haven't proved it).

From here, the answer is easy. To rearrange 10x6 into 8x8, we need to add two rows and remove two columns. That suggests a diagonal move of the two pieces after cutting.

So the solution is a zig-zag diagonal cut from the bottom left to the top right. This leaves two "triangles" (not true triangles, because they each have one zig-zag side). Move the top-left triangle up two rows and right two columns, and you have your 8x8 board.

It's a bit hard to describe just in words, but I hope this makes sense.

i saw something like this on a DS game i played before... I think it would be straight down the middle? then you would just take the left piece, flip it, and fit it together with the other.

ps please post if anyone's had the right answer yet.

Edited by teekayla

Please post the dimensions of figure 1. Otherwise, one has to guess to insure making a square.

You can see the ratio of the sides, and you know the size of one square. If you are not sure you can measure the length of the sides.It's unambiguous.

I really like this puzzle because it has just enough information to solve it, and no more (e.g. You DON'T need the dimensions posted as part of the puzzle).

The two little sections jutting out make up 4 squares, and we're told the total area exactly makes up the 8x8 chessboard, so the remaining large rectangle must be exactly 60 squares. The most obvious choice is 10x6 (and it might be the only choice, though I haven't proved it).

From here, the answer is easy. To rearrange 10x6 into 8x8, we need to add two rows and remove two columns. That suggests a diagonal move of the two pieces after cutting.

So the solution is a zig-zag diagonal cut from the bottom left to the top right. This leaves two "triangles" (not true triangles, because they each have one zig-zag side). Move the top-left triangle up two rows and right two columns, and you have your 8x8 board.

It's a bit hard to describe just in words, but I hope this makes sense.

Nice solution Gihan! :thumbsup: I guess you thought right. ^_^ , I accept your description.

Assuming these dimensions, this should work.

board1w.jpg

Great figures Not Bob Dog! The easiest way to show your solution. :thumbsup:

Edited by det