BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

1. Detective Sara Dunts was called in for an investigation on a Saturday morning. Mr. John Gooding had mysteriously vanished from his one story home, Sara was told. "I'll phone Mrs. Glen, the caretaker, and get you the address." Detective Chad Sandlers, Sara's partner, said. Sara stood waiting as he made the call. "Okay, everything's set. Mrs. Glen will be expecting you in half an hour at 232 Parker At." Detective Chad said.

Sara hopped out of her car and walked up the long path that led to the house. Right away she was ushered inside by Mrs. Glen. "Detective, I'm so glad you came. The last place I saw Mr. Gooding was in his room. I suspected that would be your first question." Mrs. Glen said somewhat nervously. She walked Sara into the other room. "Up here," Mrs. Glen called from a twisting flight of stairs. The front door banged shut just as Sara started up the steps. "Oh, I must have left the door open. The wind must have shut it." Mrs. Glen said. Again they started up the stairs.

They walked up the enormous stairway. Halfway up detective Sara noticed a weather vane through the window. She realized that the wind was blowing west and in order for it to have shut the door it would have to have been blowing east. Then Sara realized for the first time that there was a third set of footsteps on the stairs. Then it dawned on her and she realized she had walked into a trap. How did Sara know she had walked into a trap?

2. A detective who was mere days from cracking an international smuggling ring has suddenly gone missing. While inspecting his last-known location, you find a note:

710 57735 34 5508 51 7718

Currently there are 3 suspects: Bill, John, and Todd. Can you break the detective's code and find the criminal's name?

3. Shauna was killed one Sunday morning. The police know who they are going to arrest from this bit of information:

April was getting the mail

Alyssa was doing laundry

Reggie was cooking

Mark was planting in the garden

Who killed Shauna and how did the police know who to arrest?

4. There is a man found dead in a circular mansion. The detective interviews the cook, maid, and babysitter. The cook said he couldn't have done it because he was preparing the meal. The maid said she couldn't have done it because she was dusting the corners. The babysitter said she couldn't because she was playing with the children. Who was lying?

5. A man is found dead one Saturday morning. He was killed while his wife was sleeping. The wife tells the police all that she knows. She tells them that the cook was cooking breakfast, the maid was cleaning and the butler was getting the mail. The police immediately arrest the person who is responsible. Who is responsible and why?

6. A crime has been committed at Freemont Street. The main suspect is a man named Sean Baker. It was said that a man had been walking along the pathway when he was suddenly shot in the stomach. The suspect had brown hair, blue eyes and wore a baggy Armani suit just like Sean Baker's.

Sean was asked to tell the story right from the beginning. "Well," said Sean, "I was just hanging around the park when I saw this man walking along the pathway. Suddenly, a guy came up from behind him and shot him! I ran home as fast as I could." The policemen asked him to give a description of the murderer. "He had a red moustache, red hair and a baggy Armani suit on."

"I think this man is telling a lie," said one of the policemen. How did he know?

7. A man went into a party and drank some of the punch. He then left early. Everyone at the party who drunk the punch subsequently died of poisoning. Why did the man not die?

8. Jack tells Jill, "This isn't the $5 bill you left on the the table. I found it between pages 15 and 16 of Harry Potter."

Jill retorts, "You're lying and I can prove it." How did Jill know?

9. A man walked in the house. He was about to hang up his coat when he heard his wife say, "No John! Don't do it!" There was a shot and the woman was dead. There was a police officer, a doctor, and a lawyer standing next to her. The woman's husband knew that the police officer did it. But how did the husband know?

10. A man and a woman live peacefully in a house together. But one day the woman shoots her husband. Then she holds him under water for over five minutes. Finally, she hangs him, but ten minutes later they go out and enjoy a wonderful dinner. How can this be?

20 answers to this question

I'm not sure about these, but here goes a few of them:

3. April. You can't get the mail on Sunday. Of course, if it had been left over from Saturday, that would change things.

4. Not entirely sure...a circular mansion wouldn't have exterior corners to dust, but obviously the rooms would. Also, the corners where the wall meets the ceiling and the floor would need dusting.

5. The wife, probably. If she was sleeping, how could she know that the butler was getting the mail? Of course, he could have told her so, but I don't think that's the point.

6. Can you really shoot somebody in the stomach if you come up behind him? That would be rather difficult.

7. I suppose the man poisoned the punch before he left...

8. Pages 15 and 16 of almost any book are back to back. You can't put anything between them.

9. Wouldn't the police officer have arrested somebody if he hadn't done it himself? Also, the guy probably knew his name was John...

10. This is an oldie! She took his picture, developed the shot, and hung the photo to dry.

#1 seems a little strange, almost too obvious, so there must be something I'm missing. As for 2, I'm not much for codes. I'm sure someone else will be able to figure that out.

there isnt mail on sundays

the maid can't dust corners in a circular mansion

you cant shoot people in the stomach from the back

maybe the poison was in the ice cubes and he drank it before they melted?

you can't have something in between pages of a book odd/even, only even/odd. if it was sixteen and seventeen, then, yes, her answer would be plausible.

I would think the only person to have a gun is the police officer

she was taking, developing, and hanging up a picture of him

And I wonder what #2 is...!

1. One story houses don't have staircases, 2."Bill is boss he sells oil" If you type the numbers on a calculator and flip upside down. 3. April, mail doesn't come on sundays. 4. maid was lying, circular mansion wouldn't have corners. 5. the wife b/c she wouldn't know what everyone was doing if she was sleeping. also, depends on when (while she was sleeping) he was killed. if it was midnight, the cook probably wasn't cooking breakfast, maid cleaning, butler getting mail. 6. If the man shot him from behind, it would be his back, not stomach. 7. the poison was in the ice. the man left before the ice melted and released the poison. 8. 15 & 16 are back to back. 9 Doctor and lawyer were women. she yelled "john" 10. woman was photographer. "shot" photo, Developed under water, hangs to dry

its a trap because she there were walking up stairs in what was said to be a one story house

BILL IS BOSS HE SELLS OIL...turn the numbers upside down

no mail on sunday

no corners in a circular mansion

how did the wife know what everyone was doing if she was sleeping

You don't buy a baggy armani suit

Either carbon monoxide poisoning, or he poisoned the punch

Page 15 and 16 are on either side of the same page

the lawyer and doctor are both women

Its a photogrpah that she shoots and develops and drys

...cake

1 One storeyed house cannot be with window halfway on staircase

3 April, no mail on Sunday

4 Maid, no corners in round house

5 Wife lying, cannot know all this if was sleeping

6 Man cannot be shot from behind in the stomach

7 The poison was in ice cubes

8 Pages 15 & 16 are two sides of the same page

9 Policeman only he has the gun

10 Wife shoots husbands photo, holds under water to develop the picture and then dries it

1 One storeyed house cannot be with window halfway on staircase

3 April, no mail on Sunday

4 Maid, no corners in round house

5 Wife lying, cannot know all this if was sleeping

6 Man cannot be shot from behind in the stomach

7 The poison was in ice cubes

8 Pages 15 & 16 are two sides of the same page

9 Policeman only he has the gun

10 Wife shoots husbands photo, holds under water to develop the picture and then dries it

You're number 9 is def wrong...the cop was the only man...and turn the numbers upside down for #2

Just doing this for some brain damage....:lol:

1. The house was supposed to be 1 story, but the woman climbed up stairs.

2.-none

3. Theres no mail on sundays.

4. Maid-circular mansion, so no corners.

The one with the punch-he poisoned the punch while drinking it.

the one with 5 dollar bill- the pages should have been 14 and 15-15 and 16 are on same side of paper.

The one with John- either the police dude was holding a smoking gun, or lawyer and doctor femalee.

Its a photograph.

Now time to check the ones that i didn't get :D

it is april who is getting mail on sunday.

it is april who is getting mail on sunday.

1. Detective Sara Dunts was called in for an investigation on a Saturday morning. Mr. John Gooding had mysteriously vanished from his one story home, Sara was told. "I'll phone Mrs. Glen, the caretaker, and get you the address." Detective Chad Sandlers, Sara's partner, said. Sara stood waiting as he made the call. "Okay, everything's set. Mrs. Glen will be expecting you in half an hour at 232 Parker At." Detective Chad said.

Sara hopped out of her car and walked up the long path that led to the house. Right away she was ushered inside by Mrs. Glen. "Detective, I'm so glad you came. The last place I saw Mr. Gooding was in his room. I suspected that would be your first question." Mrs. Glen said somewhat nervously. She walked Sara into the other room. "Up here," Mrs. Glen called from a twisting flight of stairs. The front door banged shut just as Sara started up the steps. "Oh, I must have left the door open. The wind must have shut it." Mrs. Glen said. Again they started up the stairs.

They walked up the enormous stairway. Halfway up detective Sara noticed a weather vane through the window. She realized that the wind was blowing west and in order for it to have shut the door it would have to have been blowing east. Then Sara realized for the first time that there was a third set of footsteps on the stairs. Then it dawned on her and she realized she had walked into a trap. How did Sara know she had walked into a trap?

2. A detective who was mere days from cracking an international smuggling ring has suddenly gone missing. While inspecting his last-known location, you find a note:

710 57735 34 5508 51 7718

Currently there are 3 suspects: Bill, John, and Todd. Can you break the detective's code and find the criminal's name?

3. Shauna was killed one Sunday morning. The police know who they are going to arrest from this bit of information:

April was getting the mail

Alyssa was doing laundry

Reggie was cooking

Mark was planting in the garden

Who killed Shauna and how did the police know who to arrest?

4. There is a man found dead in a circular mansion. The detective interviews the cook, maid, and babysitter. The cook said he couldn't have done it because he was preparing the meal. The maid said she couldn't have done it because she was dusting the corners. The babysitter said she couldn't because she was playing with the children. Who was lying?

5. A man is found dead one Saturday morning. He was killed while his wife was sleeping. The wife tells the police all that she knows. She tells them that the cook was cooking breakfast, the maid was cleaning and the butler was getting the mail. The police immediately arrest the person who is responsible. Who is responsible and why?

6. A crime has been committed at Freemont Street. The main suspect is a man named Sean Baker. It was said that a man had been walking along the pathway when he was suddenly shot in the stomach. The suspect had brown hair, blue eyes and wore a baggy Armani suit just like Sean Baker's.

Sean was asked to tell the story right from the beginning. "Well," said Sean, "I was just hanging around the park when I saw this man walking along the pathway. Suddenly, a guy came up from behind him and shot him! I ran home as fast as I could." The policemen asked him to give a description of the murderer. "He had a red moustache, red hair and a baggy Armani suit on."

"I think this man is telling a lie," said one of the policemen. How did he know?

7. A man went into a party and drank some of the punch. He then left early. Everyone at the party who drunk the punch subsequently died of poisoning. Why did the man not die?

8. Jack tells Jill, "This isn't the $5 bill you left on the the table. I found it between pages 15 and 16 of Harry Potter."

Jill retorts, "You're lying and I can prove it." How did Jill know?

9. A man walked in the house. He was about to hang up his coat when he heard his wife say, "No John! Don't do it!" There was a shot and the woman was dead. There was a police officer, a doctor, and a lawyer standing next to her. The woman's husband knew that the police officer did it. But how did the husband know?

10. A man and a woman live peacefully in a house together. But one day the woman shoots her husband. Then she holds him under water for over five minutes. Finally, she hangs him, but ten minutes later they go out and enjoy a wonderful dinner. How can this be?

First of all nice puzzles, my favorite kind.

But I do have a problem with #7 maybe you just worded it wrong but the way its worded doesn't really go along with the answer for example

If the ice cubes held the poison then that means he was the only person to drink the punch before the ice cubes melted otherwise not everyone who drank the punch would have died. Which I guess could happen but considering he came into a party makes me think it has already started, making this very unlikley in my opinion

The same applies for if you think he poisoned the punch it would mean he had to have been the first person to get to the punch.

Anyways nice puzzles but maybe 7's wording can be better I think.

1.No definite idea logically speaking, but the atmosphere is spooky enough for a trap. The caretaker speaking nervously, mysterious person shutting the door, third pair of footsteps. Eh?

2.I am too lazy for frequency analysis and word replacements. Or is it even simpler?

3. Could be April. There's no mail delivered on a Sunday. Again they could be uncollected mails of the previous day. And does it take as long as lanting , cooking or laundry to collect mail?

4. It could be the maid.There can't be corners in a circle. But then again, soom of the rooms in the mansion could have been ...uhhh...cornery?

5. Its got to be the wife. If she was asleep, how did she know what the other guys, the butler, cook etc were doing when her husband was murdered, who was asleep with her?

6. The man was shot in the stomach and not in the back. No one behind the victim could have shot that man in the stomach unless he is Wesley Gibson and can bend bullets.

7. The ice cubes held the poison, the man went home early after quickly drinking the punch before the ice cubes melt down.

8. In any book the left hand page number is a even number and right hand page number is odd. So pae number 15 and 16 are two sides of the same page. There cannot be anything in between.

9. Only the policeman's uniform name tag carries both the first name and the last name(at least in India, dunno in which country the crime was commited so I am assumng its the same everywhere) while a doctors uniform only carries his title (Dr.) and last name, and lawyers don't have a name tag. The policeman's first name could have been John.

10. The wife is a photographer. Its a very old joke.