BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Hail, Hail ... PoW Quickies V

plainglazed

Question

1. Otherwise sounding like one mom. (5)

5. Quiet one, short of agreeing, gently smells big ones within. (11)

2. Laugh tactic surrounds, so gathering one or all. (7)

3. Failing college attendant is legal after two grand. (7)

4. Confused us lefty. (3)

6. Marine salute about existing class in German city. (8)

7. No use coming back around, look for welcoming terra firma. (6)

8. Oh gee, stare at candy questionably devoured. (6)

9. Brief schooling almost fails. The cause of small world railings above thee in roll playing games is completely backwards. (10)

For those new to these Play on Word "Quickies" - Each word or two (generally speaking) of the puzzle corresponds to a letter or two (generally speaking) "spelling" out the answer. Other descriptors can be thrown in refering to the relation of individual letters. The letters will "read" left to right as presented unless there is a descriptor that directs otherwise. For the most part, punctuation is not part of the answer but rather to make the clue "read" better. Other than that, the clues are hopefully very precise. There should be no unnecessary words in the clues or extra letters in the answers. It's best to read these very literally and/or phonetically. The numbers in parenthesis indicate the number of letters in the answer. All answers share a common theme which, when apparant, is the best singular clue, often enabling a guess at an answer and working backwards to "prove" the guess correct. Please show your work for full credit. Oh and before I forget, have fun!

For example fwiw:

3. Failing-F

college attendant-RA

is legal-OK?

after

two grand- 2K= KK. (7)

Hey Framm 18 - those are quite good thougths for this one. Your first two are correct (bolded above) and I suspect your understanding of after is correct as well. You should get this one! Thanks for starting it out. Have to go out for a few hours but will check in then.

I see what you did there. Another nice one PG

:) (and thanks to Framm for triggering the recognition)

9. Brief schooling almost fails. The cause of small world railings above thee in roll playing games is completely backwards. (10)

Brief schooling - edu

almost fails - d

the cause of - why - y

small world railings above - el

thee - you - u

role playing game - d and d - dd

u "in" dd - dud

completely backwards - DudleyDude

I think it would only be proper to leave the rest to their respective namesakes :)

Edited by DudleyDude

[spoiler=I'll do this one :)]8. Oh gee, stare at candy questionably devoured. (6)

Ogee (S)

Eye (I)

M&M (MM)

Why (Y)

Ate (8)

Good one PG! :) I'll work on the others offline.. Lots of hints all over the den :)

3. Failing- F

college attendant RA

is legal- 18

two grand.-MM

after Moves 18 after MM

Framm 18

What are the odds that this is the first one I tried to get?

Cool Plainglazed :thumbsup:

I saw your partials and was trying to think of what else would work with "2 grand". I played around with g's and then tried m's. I would have probably abandoned the m's because I couldn't think of a word to build and then I noticed that it would make your name and it all clicked. Very devious puzzle by PG

:)

I see what you did there. Another nice one PG

:) (and thanks to Framm for triggering the recognition)

Brief schooling - edu

almost fails - d

the cause of - why - y

small world - abbr. Earth - e

railings above - el - l

thee - you - u

role playing game - d and d - dd

u "in" dd - dud

completely backwards - DudleyDude

I think it would only be proper to leave the rest to their respective namesakes :)

Yes indeed DD, well done (added one little bit above)

[spoiler=I'll do this one :)]8. Oh gee, stare at candy questionably devoured. (6)

Ogee (S)

Eye (I)

M&M (MM)

Why (Y)

Ate (8)

Good one PG! :) I'll work on the others offline.. Lots of hints all over the den :)

No monkey business there. Well done. Nailed it.

3. Failing- F

college attendant RA

is legal- 18

two grand.-MM

after Moves 18 after MM

Framm 18

What are the odds that this is the first one I tried to get?

Cool Plainglazed :thumbsup:

What are the odds indeed. Was quite excited when I read your first response. Good stuff above!

I saw your partials and was trying to think of what else would work with "2 grand". I played around with g's and then tried m's. I would have probably abandoned the m's because I couldn't think of a word to build and then I noticed that it would make your name and it all clicked. Very devious puzzle by PG

:)

Thanks for all your encouragement. There may be some above that will need more group effort or answers that may not "be activated". Please feel free to answer any others if you see fit/whenever you like. Or not. Thanks again.

[spoiler='Hey PG. Not sure if I'm listed maybe just a gatecrasher.

']

No use coming back around = ON... at end

look for welcoming terra firma. = W. Soil

Together ~ Wilson?

Gotta try anyway.

Hey Wilson - sorry I missed you just now. had to leave my machine and forgot to sign out. no gate crasher at all, and you're on the right track. Bolded in blue above what's correct. Thanks for resurrecting and welcome back.

And there is no way I could include every current regular Denizen here. Certainly not my intention to limit the guessing. Did this once before and there were lots of partials before the theme was discovered so no one felt obliged to only guess at theirs? Maybe? Anyway, any and all, please have at it.

1. Otherwise sounding like one mom. (5)

Otherwise sounding like - else - l's - ll

one - a

mom - ma

llama

Right on, DD.

5. Quiet one, short of agreeing, gently smells big ones within. (11)

Quiet - sh

one - a

short of agreeing (ok) - k

gently - ease - ee

smells - p u

big ones - dd

within - with n - in

Shakeepuddn

Nailed another. Well done.

confused us = "dem" (them)

left E = EDM

Hey simmy8 - that works, nicely done.

Confused us lefty.

U.S. lefty = Dem.

Confused directs scrambled.

Down to three and I must say, the trickiest or maybe just the most poorly composed. Thanks for keeping this one alive you two.

No use coming back - no (use coming back) - ON

look for - eye - I

welcoming terra firma - LCA (old WW2 landing craft) (and yes, this is the weak part of the guess)

ON around ILCA - OILCAN

OILCAN?

Hey Hey DD - happy Friday night to ya. the above is not the one I had in mind. have bolded the part I intended. Wilson was onto something with this one. as for that welcoming terra firma bit, may be weak on my part, not yours. perhaps think of why that particular phrase or what it might connote, combined with what the answer might be? Thanks for keeping at it.

I can see how "terra firma" could be isle or island, but I'm not sure how to get rid of the other letters. And I'm not sure what to do with "welcoming". It sounds like an operator word (i.e., the letters to the right of "welcoming" should be inserted into the letters from the left), but it's also the only way I can see to get a "W".

I can see how "terra firma" could be isle or island, but I'm not sure how to get rid of the other letters. And I'm not sure what to do with "welcoming". It sounds like an operator word (i.e., the letters to the right of "welcoming" should be inserted into the letters from the left), but it's also the only way I can see to get a "W".

you might be using welcoming for the W which is why I included it in the quote above. Welcoming is not an operator but meant to describe a more specific "terra firma"

w :)

use - u's - uu - w

no use - now (coming back) - won

look for - eye - i

welcoming terra firma - some unknown magic - ls

won (around) ils - wilson

now I just need to figure out "welcoming terra firma" become "ls"

Now you're talkin', keep it up. All's right above.

marine = sea - C

salute - um ... 1 fingered? I

about - direction

exist - R

class - PE

in - direction

German city - Essen - SN ... that one took some googling

CRISPEN

Hey t_l - long time no riddlin'. Great to see you and great stuff above. Had been thinking I had gone way too obscure. You saved me on this one! Right on the money but have left out one letter which I think will correct the spelling/number of letters and complete the last clue.

2. Laugh tactic surrounds, so gathering one or all. (7)

(surrounds)= outside letters?

Laugh tactic = Be a ham = Hamb _ _e?

or maybe... surrounds= O ?

(so gathering)= inner letters?

one or all = any =ne?

or n for unknown number?

Obviously thinking Hambone for this.

Aside..Is it just me, or are there chunks of the Den missing?

Hey, don't have a concrete guess - but would like to ask a favor. Would you mind posting a scorecard showing what has been done and what is left to do? That may help some of us who want to jump in but don't know where to begin :) Great PoW's, by the way!