BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

A murder was committed inside a round house. According to the neighbors, no one came in the house that day, so the only suspects are the relatives. Here is the list of clues the police found out:

Grandma - victim

Mother - shopping for groceries at a nearby store

Father - painting the fence

Sister - reading her chemistry books

Brother - playing with his PSP

Baby - asleep in the bedroom

Grandpa - reading a book in a corner

Who was the murderer and why?

The murderer was Grandpa. He says he was reading a book in a corner of the house that day. But it is a ROUND house, so it has no corners...

9 answers to this question

I have to agree with ljb... unless the home has no rooms what-so-ever, there will be corners inside the house (I suppose you could have a series on concentric "rings", but then are they really rooms, or a quagmire of hallways?) . IMO, should change it to read that gramps was reading in the corner of an external wall.

Sorry. I really was liking the whole murder mystery idea, but it just didn't work on too many levels.

First of all, what you were getting at was far too obvious. Once the reader reads the first sentence it's clear the answer will have something to do with a round house. Second, I agree with the folks that talked about there being plenty of corners inside a round house. Third, it said "Here is the list of clues the police found." If the police actually "found" that Grandpa was reading in the corner, then Grandpa WAS reading in the corner! Perhaps that line of the story should have been, "These were the alibis that the relatives each gave." (Even then, it's tough to get around the whole 'corners' concept if you are talking about a livable house.)

I'm sorry for the late reply, but I must clear this. The police found out BECAUSE they were not in the house the day the murder happened. So they have to ask each member of the family a certain question: "What were you doing last night?" If you say they are alibis, then the answer would be very easy. And besides, this riddle works best when told via verbal telling. And also, did you read the passage only once? If you did, you probably would forget all about the "round" thing...