BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Neighbors

rookie1ja

and, I have OCD and want to correct my spelling in my last post but it is not allowing me to edit it. Therefore, this new post is to correct my last post therein I wrote: ".... mentioned in the next view lines..." it should be few not view...

I suppose you could call this a freudian slip of tongue, as they have similar sound when spoken, and most people view f's as v's. It's kind of interesting, isn't it?

I apologize for the double post.

This quiz was probably made up by Albert Einstein and according to him 98% will not solve it.

There is a row of five houses, each having a different color. In these houses live five people of various nationalities. Each of them nurtures a different beast, likes different drinks and smokes different brand of cigars.

1. The Brit lives in the Red house.

2. The Swede keeps dogs as pets.

3. The Dane drinks tea.

4. The Green house is on the left of the White house.

5. The owner of the Green house drinks coffee.

6. The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.

7. The owner of the Yellow house smokes Dunhill.

8. The man living in the center house drinks milk.

9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.

10. The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.

11. The man who keeps horses lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill.

12. The man who smokes Blue Master drinks beer.

13. The German smokes Prince.

14. The Norwegian lives next to the Blue house.

15. The man who smokes Blends has a neighbor who drinks water.

Which of the five house owners keeps fish as a pet? (are you one of the 2%).

hmm..this is kind of tough..but i have my own answer for this..^^P

position of the house:>>5>>4 >>3>>2>>1

color:>>white h.>>green h.>>red h.>>blue h.>>yellow h.

nationality:>>swede>>german>> brit>>dane>>Norwegian

drink:>>beer >>coffee>>milk>>tea >> water

cigar name:>>blue master >>prince , pall mall >> blends >>dunhill

beast/pet:>>dogs>>fish>>birds>> horse>>cats

...whew...in short the german has the fish...and...i hope you undestend my answer... heeheehee..^^P

• 2 months later...

hey guys,can u check whether mine is right

GREEN BLUE YELLOW RED WHITE

NORWEIGN GERMAN SWEDEN BRIT DANE

COFFEE WATER MILK BEER TEA

BLENDS PRINCE DUNHILL blue mas. PALL MALL

FISH CATS DOGS HORSES BIRDS

The answer is: Norwegion: yellow Dunhill water cat

Dane: Blue Blend Tea Horse

Briton: Red Paul mall Milk Bird

German: Green Prince Coffee Fish

Swedish: White Blue Master Beer Dog

So the answer is the German owns the fish

• 2 months later...

Righto, well I couldn't be bothered to work this out as such (mainly because I jsut did the boat one and the prospect of working something like that out again at 11pm at night is not a nice one) but I think it is a good riddle and there are far too many people out there who are thinking too deep into it.

Now I pose two solutions to this,

ONE: You are right, a fish is never mentioned and you only know that it is an unknown pet. I feel you could be right for Einstien was known to have set riddles with no answer for the information wasn't complete.

TWO: Assuming that the unknown is a fish then this is still very hard to work out and I praise those that did (I probably could, though I don't have the time nor the energy quite now, and yes anyone could with enough drive and time) but still, before you knock a riddle, try to solve it assuming the unknown, only then do I feel that you can comment for only then have you proved your intellect enough to try and knock Einstein's puzzles.

But yes, this is a damned good one and I shall set some smart people on it.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with many others that the wording could be tidied up - i.e. Clue 4 should say "The Green House is on the immediate left of the White House", and the question at the end should read "One of the men keeps fish, who is it?".

Actually the puzzle is solvable without clue 15. After making all the deductions from the first 14 clues one should see that the owner of the horse drinks either beer or tea. However, the Geman doesn't drink either beer or tea, so he can't own the the horse. Adding this fact in should then solve the puzzle. Oh yes, the final question should then read "One of the men keeps fish, and one drinks water (it could be the same man or two different men) - who?"

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see clue 7.

I still solved it though. It was a fun 30 minutes :) I doubt it's true about the 2%, though. It's probably like the picture of 13 faces. That you're schizofrenic if you see 11 pictures.. if that's so; personalities are popping out of my ears.

• 1 month later...
It's ridiculous to say that we should figure out that because there was no fish mentioned in the information given, that we should say there is not enough information. If you're going to be so real-world to say that any may have a fish somewhere in the house or that there may a fish anywhere, then you should also be real-world enough to say that you will join the dots to figure out that the only animal that isn't mentioned elsewhere in the question must be the fish. I think everyone figures out that the fish isn't previously mentioned, and pauses on that, I know I did, but so much else isn't mentioned that you assume for the sake of the question, that's how it is in real life, why would you say that because there is no fish in the information that it might not be the other missing one? People who don't use these assumptions when solving problems are probably not going to have much success at solving many real-life problems, where you have to make many assumptions.

We could all just be stupid and say "No the Brits drink tea, I've seen them, and the Germans are famous for their beer!"

Seriously? Everything was stated in the question. It ASKED which owner had a fish. People think too hard when trying to figure these problems out. The point is to use the information given and solve the problem based ONLY on that information. Brits being heavy tea drinkers in real life has absolutely nothing to do with the question. The directions also clearly stated that there are only 5 houses, with 5 owners, who have 5 different pets, and enjoy different drinks and cigars. As for the person saying the fish could be food, and not a pet. The question stated absolutely nothing about food, and you should only be going by what the directions asked. Since there are only 4 beasts listed, you're assuming the missing beast is the fish... obviously. Even if the fish wasn't mentioned, you'd still come out with the same solution. Also, use assumptions carefuly.

• 9 months later...

The coffee drinking, Prince smoking German in the green house at the 4th or 5th in the row (depending on which side of the street, you are walking down, is the row) is the only one without a defined animal after all the statements. The water drinking, Dunhill smoking, Norwegian keeps cats in his yellow house at the beginning of the row. The tea drinking, Blends smoking, Dane keeps horses at his blue house, 2nd in the row. The milk drinking, Pall Mall smoking, Brit keeps birds in his red house in the middle of the row. If you are looking down the street and the row is on your right hand side of the street, then the beer drinking, Blue Master smoking, Swede keeps dogs in his white house at the 4th in the row, else this is this coffee drinking, Prince smoking, German in the green house which very probably keeps fish. Yes, based on perspective, it is a toss up as to whether the Swede or the German is at the end of the row.

`````W...G`````

````G.....W````

```R.......R```

``B.........B``

`Y...........Y`

Edited by Dawid

There is an answer, it is the German. There is no need to assume that everyone lives on different streets or fish isn't one of the pets, just answer the damn question. Make a matrix and fill it in, if you do this right you will get a replica of what is under the solution section, not creative theories that say everybody lives on different streets and there are more than five houses or the fish isn't one of the five pets. Why does everybody have to have a problem with the question, I worked hard to find the answer and found it.

• 1 month later...

It's not a riddle..but a Mathematical Puzzle. 6 unknowns x 5 = 30 answers. I've decoded those 15 hints and decode 15 Linear Equations + 6 non-equals:

B ≠ S ≠ D ≠ N ≠G ...(i)

c ≠ d ≠ h ≠ f ≠ b' ...(ii)

d' ≠ p ≠ α ≠ β ≠ p' ..(iii)

w° ≠ r ≠ b ≠ g ≠ y ..(iv)

t ≠ c' ≠ m ≠ w' ≠ ε ..(v)

1 ≠ 2 ≠ 3 ≠ 4 ≠ 5 ....(vi)

B = r ......(1)

S = d .....(2)

D = t .....(3)

g <> w°.....(4)

g = c' .......(5)

p = b' .......(6)

y = d' .......(7)

m = 3 .......(8)

N = 1 ........(9)

α <> c <> α..(10) { Einstein broke the Law of Math.

h <> d'<> h..(11) { broke it again.

β = ε ...............(12)

G = p' ..............(13)

b <> N <> b ......(14) {broke it again.

w' <> α <> w' ...(15) {Einstein broke it for the 4th. time!

Derivative Equations:

From (9) & (14): N = 1 <> b ......(16) by 'faking' (14).

From (4) & (5): g = c' <> w° ......(17)

From (8), (16) & (17): N = 1 <> b <> m =3 <> g = c' <> w° .....(18)

From (7), (11) & (18): y = d' <> h ..........(19) By 'faking' (11)

From (iv), (18) & (19): y = d' = N = 1 <> b = h <> m = 3 = r <> g = c' <> w° ........(20)

From (1), (vi), (15) & (20): w' = y = d' = N = 1 <> 2 = b = h = α <> m = 3 = r = B <> 4 = g =c' <> w° = 5 .........(21) by 'faking' (15)

From (iii), (v), (3), (12) & 21: w' = y = d' = N = 1 <> 2 = b = h = α = t = D <> m = 3 = r = B <> 4 = g =c' <> w° = 5 = β = ε ........(22)

From (iii), (13) & (22): w' = y = d' = N = 1 <> 2 = b = h = α = t = D <> m = 3 = r = B <> 4 = g = c' = G = p' <> w° = 5 = β = ε = S = d ......(23)

From (ii), (6) & (23): w' = y = d' = N = 1 <> 2 = b = h = α = t = D <> m = 3 = r = B = p = b' <> 4 = g = c' = G = p' <> w° = 5 = β = ε = S = d ......(24)

and finally by 'faking' (10):

From (10) dan (24): Notice that α <> c <> α being replaced by c <> α

c = w' = y = d' = N = 1 <> 2 = b = h = α = t = D <> m = 3 = r = B = p = b' <> f = 4 = g = c' = G = p' <> w° = 5 = β = ε = S = d ......(25) COMPLETE & FINAL ANSWERS.

Where, assuming:-

B = BRITISH

S = SWEDISH

D = DANISH

N = NORWEGIAN

G = GERMAN

w° = White House

r = Red House

b = Blue House

g = Green House

y = Yellow House

1 = 1st. House

2 = 2nd. House

3 = House in the Middle

4 = 4th. House

5 = The Last House

c = cats

d = dogs

h = horses

f = fish

b' = birds

d' = Dunhill

p = Pall Mall

α = Blends

β = Blue Master

p' = Prince

t = tea

c' = coffee

m = milk

w' = water

ε = beer

As per Equation (25) I got all the 30 answers right (include GERMAN=Fish) in 3 minutes and also proved that Einstein made a felony (4 non-mathematical equations & 4 fakes) by breaking the Law of Mathematics.