BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Brush Up Mafia: Manicomio (Signups)

This is the signup thread for a simple, fairly straightforward mafia geared towards newbies and/or those who want to brush up on their skills. For more info on why this is, see We tried to keep the roles simple for newbies, while trying to maintain a good balance. If you need a brush up on mafias, check out Unreality's most wonderful There are links in that guide to previous mafias. Some of them will be much more complicated than this, but you can get an idea of the strategies involved.

(And I apologize in advance for my story-telling skills are nowhere NEAR as advanced as the other talented mafia hosts here. But I'll try :))

The police chief, tpaxatb, examined the memo. He thought about filing it away in his favorite filing cabinet, the trash can, but thought better of it.

"scsw, get in here!"

His assistant chief entered the room. "You rang, sir?"

"Have you seen this memo about Los Pollos Locos?" the chief inquired. He let the insubordination slide. There were bigger fish to fry this day.

"Yeah, but I didn't think much of it. I mean, what are the odds of that happening?"

"I know, but we'll have to take this threat seriously. This is a pretty serious charge the mayor is making. A rogue cop in our department? Who'd believe that? I told the mayor that giving the number 13 to our town's ONLY precinct was a bad idea. What was he thinking? First the hippies, and now this! Never mind, that's a question for another time."

"Okaaaay," scsw replied. He knew the chief's rants could ramble on and on for hours, and prepared himself for the worst. This, however, was one of those rare times that the chief decided to stay on point.

"Look. I know that the odds are long, but tell the Sergeant that at the next roll call, he is to prepare the troops for a THOROUGH house cleaning. We'll go through this precinct one cop at a time if we have to and find the rogue! Then we can take care of this 'Crazy Chicken' nonsense."

"Yes, sir," mumbled scsw as he left the chief's office. Unlike the chief, he was more pragmatic, and knew that a house cleaning would be a blood-letting affair.

El Jefe examined the faces around him in his new headquarters. Like many inner city transplants, he felt most comfortable surrounded by amigos who shared a common goal. For some odd reason, he also felt most at home in a run down crack house. His problem was that he was 2 hours new to the town of Manicomio, and didn't have the strength of numbers nor the crackhouse that he had had in Detroit. But he knew how to take care of that.

"Gentlemen (and ladies)," he addressed his new found followers in his mom's suburbanite home. "Today, we have finally penetrated the police department!"

Cheers erupted from the crowd.

"Quiet! I know you are Loco, but can you at least WAIT until I'm finished?"

The surrounding gangstas quietted down.

"Good. Listen, we were finally able to get to a cop down at the 13th precinct. It took forever! Well, I take that back, it took an hour, but that is a LONG time to chickens, you know. But control of the precinct is at hand. Once we control the cops in that neighborhood, we control the city!"

Silence continued as the gangstas were rapt with attention, waiting for El Jefe to command them.

"You may cheer now," El Jefe prompted.

Cheers once again erupted from the gathered Pollos Locos, for they knew that taking the city meant more money, more booze, and generally an all around good time. As he listened to the cheers, El Jefe smiled inwardly. Yes, he thought, Manicomio was ripe for the taking.

It was the midnight shift. The Sergeant absolutely, positively, despised this shift; for some reason, it seemed all the crazies came out on this shift. He reasoned that it must be something in the water. He had a feeling that this night wouldn't be any different. As he looked down at the memo that was forwarded to him by the assistant chief, he let out an audible sigh and knew that he was correct. He figured he'd better get it over with. Like the assistant chief, he deduced that the memo would mean bloodshed.

"Attention....Can I have your attention PLEASE!" Ironically, unlike the gangstas, the cops were a much more difficult bunch to get under control. It took five long minutes for the shift to settle down.

"The mayor has brought it to the attention of the chief, who brought it to the attention of the assistant...oh forget it," he stated with exasperation. "Look, there's a rogue cop in the precinct on the payroll of this new gang in town called Los Pollos Locos. We're crazy enough in this town without having to worry about yet another group of crazies! So, we're gonna root out this traitor and rid this town of the Locos. We don't know who they are yet. For all we know the rogue cop may be sitting RIGHT....NEXT....TO...YOU! So watch your backs! That's all I got about that. Your week's assignments will be sent to you via private messaging prior to the night's shift. If you FORGOT what you are supposed to DO with your assignment, see the bulletin board. If you still need help...don't ask me, go to the assistant chief or chief. That's all...let's get to work."

The rogue cop sat quietly and smiled to himself, watching his fellow officers prepare for the night's shift. If they only knew what he and the Locos had in store for them....

Hosts

Police Chief (Host): tpaxatb

Maintains order amongst the players. Ensures a smooth and fun game for all. But he's rather dumb, so....

Assistant Police Chief (co-Host): scsw

Helps to maintain order. Makes sure the chief is apprised of all problems and helps chief figure stuff out.

Los Pollos Locos - HAVE BTSC

El Jefe - Every Night Kill

Los Pollos Locos leader attempting to take over Manicomio's only police precinct, Precinct 13. As the leader of the gang, can select one cop every night and mark him for death.

Rogue Cop - Every ODD night block. If El Jefe is killed, gains Every Night Kill

A police officer of Precint 13 that has already been corrupted by El Jefe and is working from the inside. As he has access to all the cops, even those inside the building, he can "send a message" from the gang to any other officer every ODD night. And by sending a message, I mean he roughs up another officer. Along with this rough-up, he can give the host a short message to pass along to the officer during the beat down. If El Jefe is killed, he will be so worried that he will be caught that he will start killing on his own.

Officers of Manicomio's Precinct 13 - NO BTSC

Precinct Sergeant - Every Night Block

As the precinct's sergeant, he uses his supervisory power to prevent a player's actions from occurring by changing his assignment that night. Only the officer who has had his assignment changed will be notified if necessary.

SWAT Sniper - Starting Night 2: Every night, but not 2 in a row, Kill. Cannot be killed night 1.

The precinct's best and surest shot. Beginning on night 2, will become so frustrated with the progress of finding the rogue that he will start killing one selected person at night. However, killing someone makes him so distraught that he will be unable to kill the following night. In addition, because of his body armor, he is immune from attack on night 1.

Undercover Cop - Every Night FACTION Spy

The precinct's resident master of disguise. Every night, he uses his skills of disguise to infiltrate his selected target's home and can determine to which faction a player belongs.

Detective - Every Night ACTION Spy

A seasoned veteran of the force, he uses his network of anonymous informants each night to determine a player's actions.

Paramedic - Every Night Save. Cannot save same person two nights in a row. Cannot save self.

The assistant chief, being a smart man and realizing that there is the potential for a lot of bloodshed, decited to bring in a paramedic for the week. An aspiring cop himself, the Paramedic rides along with a player each night. If that player is attacked, he uses his medical skills to save the player. Cannot ride along with the same officer two nights in a row,. Because he needs a partner, he cannot ride along alone so he cannot save himself.

Last faction standing WINS!

The game will start with a night cycle once signups have been completed and each player has confirmed and received his/her role. Each Night cycle will last 24 hours. Each day cycle will also last 24 hours. Since the Police Chief moonlights (no wonder there's a rogue cop, the cops in Manicomio aren't paid enough!), the target end time for each day and night cycle will be 10:00 PM Eastern Time unless something unforseen happens.

Rogue Cop's blocks revealed ONLY to the player being blocked (along with the short message).

Blocks otherwise not revealed.

Rogue Cop's blocks are not blockable by the Sergeant (e.g. Rogue Cop blocks Sniper, Sergeant blocks rogue cop, Sniper's action is still nullified).

El Jefe's kill fails if the Sergeant blocks the El Jefe and the Sergeant was not blocked by the Rogue Cop (even if the killer was targeting the Sergeant)

El Jefe's kill fails if the Paramedic saves the target and the Paramedic was not blocked by either the Rogue Cop or the Sergeant.

No player is removed in a tied lynch.

NOTE: Players that come out with their roles without being probed/pressured for it will be punished by loss of ability the following night.

(To sign up, just copy and past the current list into a reply and add your name to it!)

Host: tpaxatb

Co-Host: scsw

Manicomio Citizens:

Addendum:

While this game is targeted at players with little or no experience with mafia (here or otherwise), we believe that it would be helpful to have a couple players that feel the need to brush up their skills or practice the more subtle aspects of the game. I would like to limit this to maybe 2 players maximum, both for game balance and to allow the newer players a chance to really see what's going on :). So, with that in mind, I invite people who believe they need to brush up on their skills to sign up in this thread. However, I would like to reserve the right to move the more experienced players (in reverse order that they sign up) to a backup list if necessary to open up slots for more inexperienced players.

(NOTE: even though there may be experienced players, the roles assignments will still be completely RANDOM)

This looks fantastic! Thanks tpax for following through with CP's idea. It's great to open up mafia to the other BD surfers!

If the amazing hosts need any help or the newcomers want any advice, I'll be happy to lend a hand (or I'll try, at least) :)

Manicomio Citizens:

1. DudleyDude

2. DarthNoob

3. crazypainter

Ok I am such a den mom....w/o any kids...ha ha

edit: quick lesson, when I edit I tell the thread and players why I am editing. Otherwise they may get suspicious.

Like I may have made a mistake and am covering it up.

and as a side note: Tpax..you are fricken hilarious! I am loving your story my dear! Good job so far.^_^

Edited by crazypainter

Manicomio Citizens:

1.DudleyDude

2.DarthNoob

3.Crazypainter

4.MrsP

Looks really great tpaxatb!!! I would love to play and get a feel for the basic Mafia. But I am ok with being removed if more new players come :)

Edit: Added CP

Edited by MrsP

I'll sign up as one of the experienced players. But feel free to move me to back ups if you want to allow other new players in.

Manicomio Citizens:

1.DudleyDude

2.DarthNoob

3.Crazypainter

4.MrsP

5. Marth

Edited by Prince_Marth85

I'll sign up as one of the experienced players. But feel free to move me to back ups if you want to allow other new players in.

Manicomio Citizens:

1.DudleyDude

2.DarthNoob

3.Crazypainter

4.MrsP

5. Marth

6.Wilson

I'll give it a go, but never played before so feel free to ditch me if better appear.

Wilson You are exactly the type of person we are targeting for this mafia! :)

Note:

I don't believe I'll be very active over the weekend due to the holiday, but I'll try to at least pop in every once in a while to answer any questions anyone may have...

I'll give it a go, but never played before so feel free to ditch me if better appear.

NO! you are the reason we are doing this! Please know that you arent going to be bumped off. We want more people to learn so there can be more games.

Wilson You are exactly the type of person we are targeting for this mafia! :)

Note:

I don't believe I'll be very active over the weekend due to the holiday, but I'll try to at least pop in every once in a while to answer any questions anyone may have...

tpax, why not wait till monday tuesday when the weekend is over? Besides we still have a few spots to fill.

tpax, why not wait till monday tuesday when the weekend is over? Besides we still have a few spots to fill.

Yes. I meant to say that in the original post (I was anxious to get out of work haha)....The game will DEFINITELY not start until Tuesday at the earliest. Even then, that would be pushing it, since it will take time to get everything all set up and i will be ping ponging on and off line :)

I'm really busy this weekend (end of summer final hurrah!), and as far as I know, scsw (my much-needed-assistant :)) has computer issues. The list still needs one more (hopefully two...if the list is full, and you are new/inexperienced, just add your name to the end. The more experienced players that have signed up have already indicated to me their willingness to step aside for you!

I'm hoping that the list fills/questions asked and answered over the weekend and the game can start in the middle of next week. This particular (mini)mafia should be rather short...at least all the simulations that I have run, along with my discussions with scsw indicate that it will probably be a fast paced relatively quick (5-6 cycles). Just enough to get people hooked B))

HOORAY MY RECRUITING WORKED!

EDM, we have made this very simple Mafia so that people like you can learn how to play. This is geared so that way you can learn how to play along with other members that haven't played this style of Mafia before such as DudleyDude, Wilson, and DarthNoob. I'll add you to the sign up list and this will start Tuesday Night according to our host Chief tpaxatb :)

Manicomio Citizens:

1.DudleyDude

2.DarthNoob

3.Crazypainter

4.MrsP

5. Marth

6.Wilson

7. EDM

Now that the sign up list is full, please ask any general questions you have after reading the Newbies' Guide to Mafia or just anything about this in general and either I, CP or one of the hosts will be happy to help :)

Edited by Gmaster479

Sweet this filled faster than i hoped :)

I will PM everybody with confirmation requests now (I will be gone the rest of the day), and assign roles and post the main thread up Tuesday (tomorrow) evening.

Hey Folks.

Please tell me a bit more about being "roughed up".

Wouldn't want to get a kicking and not know how to react. :o

What kind of messages are sent?

Being "sent a message" and "getting roughed up" is just a play on words for bad guys' blocking action in the theme of this game. For example, the good guys' blocker is just a vanilla block, but I thought it would be fun (and also to give the bad guys a fighting chance ;-)) to have this little extra.

The player being blocked will be PMed a little side story that s/he was "roughed up" (blocked), and the bad guys can also send a brief message to the player they are blocking. An example could be on night 1:

"We have our eyes on you...you will ensure there is no tie in the day's lynch or we will kill you tomorrow night."

Remember, though, that the bad guys can only do this on odd nights, but they can use it to their advantage. They won't want to give too much away in their message, but they can do something like the above to persuade someone to do something, or even deflect suspicion onto their block target...

I'm not sure how this would fit the game, and it probably would be better for a different game not designed for brushing up... but I had a sudden inspiration. Ever seen History of Violence? I'm thinking it'd be cool if you could go into a witness protection program

sounds good DN, maybe after this simple game you can talk someone into doing that. Me, I cant begin to imagine how to host one of these games...

But still love playing them! And yes I confirm that i still want to play.