BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

What do you all think of giving an original mafia a run? Just like the first one I played Oasis, etc. Just have the original roles of mafia boss, bomb, healer, doctor, spy, etc.

I miss having the role that can tell if a player is lying. Other basic beginning roles are a great addition but they have fallen away in these new games.

My thinking behind that would be that since there are new ppl coming in here to play, it might really help them out. And we are having troubles filling the rosters.

what are your thoughts ya'll?

Ha ha Gm...no way would I ever host a game...I dont have the skills for it.

And..I dont want to. I just dont have that drive. All my creativity goes to

my painting.

This is just an idea I had and hope someone agrees to create and host it.

Well I'd love to advertise it but I am very focused on hosting HSM 2 which may come up after this. I would ask unreality, Frost, or Kathleen or some other people. I always though that a original Mafia would attract more people to the game and get them used to it before they just jump into something insane like FM2 or HSM2

Well it might coincide with HSM 2 and Terminator and I may host it if I do find time afterwards. I'm hoping it happens at the same time as HSM actually so that people can join more mafias later. Please talk to your friends on the Word Riddle Forum and I will be there happily answering your riddles while promoting this as well :)

Heh. I was actually thinking of hosting a mafia - I had one percolating in my head.

That thought lasted exactly 2 seconds, when I realized I don't have the creative writing skills to pull it off :lol:

And then i realized that there are so many waiting right now that it probably wouldn't start until christmas anyway haha

Not exactly tpaxatb. We currently have HSM2 and Terminator on hold. The idea behind this is that someone can host the original version of Mafia. The great part is that your writing skills don't need to be amazing when all you have are simple roles like CP suggested. Make it small and simple and if you want you can host this while HSM2 is going on or Terminator. I want this mafia to be ONLY NEWBIES. So please begin recruiting people

I am willing to host one, if no one else wants to, a simple mafia and am planning to co-host it, so that aspiring hosts can watch behind the scenes. This is one thing I wish I did before hosting my first mafia.

Heh. I was actually thinking of hosting a mafia - I had one percolating in my head.

That thought lasted exactly 2 seconds, when I realized I don't have the creative writing skills to pull it off :lol:

And then i realized that there are so many waiting right now that it probably wouldn't start until christmas anyway haha

tpaxtb, do you want to? We can make the layout really simple, and you can bounce your ideas off me.

I am willing to host one, if no one else wants to, a simple mafia and am planning to co-host it, so that aspiring hosts can watch behind the scenes. This is one thing I wish I did before hosting my first mafia.

tpaxtb, do you want to? We can make the layout really simple, and you can bounce your ideas off me.

Sure, why not. Probably be better to get the gist before Spaceballs: The Mafia! (yes, that was my idea) appeared since that one was going to be a bit complicated (not nearly as complicated as scsw's of course :wacko:)

Lemme go off for a couple hours and do some basic figuring...

Always enjoyed playing Mafia (except one time where I kept getting voted out or killed in the first or second round, and I still don't know why my friends were picking on me... ugh), but I've never played an online text version before

Yea. Okay scsw and tpaxatb can make up the roles and start the sign up sheet on here. Don't forget to go everything very slow and in detail

Also, probably wouldn't hurt for people to go to that tells all about Mafia. I know it is a lot to read, but maybe people can just go there and read a bit when they have a chance. It helped me a lot.

I haven't played or hosted on BD for a long time since I've been mostly on a branchoff site (similar to Incog) that a lot of us old-timers hang out at, and there we recently did a lot of basic/classic-mafia-revivals, from Classic Mafia on Incog to a Redux of Mafia II with the same rules, roles and as many of the same people as possible, to "Mafia VIII" which wrapped up the whole Content Phoenix universe. Someday we'll find a way to smoothly interface this site to the rest of the world and you can all see em...

... so what I'm saying is that I like the idea of return-to-the-basics mafia but I've seen a lot of them lately and have been in more crazy territory... i recently hosted time-travel-mafias and player-state-mafias (that one was based on the Matrix) and things, and a while back a great game based on VNA where the innovation was more in the way the posts were deliveered than anything else. And I have seen a lot of cool stuff recently too from a lot of very brilliant people (sinistral, itachi, brandonb, ysan, frost, cherry lane, etc).

But what I'm REALLY saying is that if people want me to i'm willing to return to BD, but I'd need to know a few things... are there games lined up? Is there an official/unofficial system nowadays for when games can be hosted to stop game-overload? How many players can be in a game and still have it active? etc. I have a few ideas for games... I could host one anywhere from beginner-level to uber-advanced but I need to gauge the current playerbase first I guess. I'm trying to keep player count small since school is starting for me soon and I don't know how much time I'll have.

good to be back,

~ unreality

Edited by unreality

Hey I am so happy that you all are on board. I dont need to play the game. Unreality was my first host, what was it? No names were used, just the roles.

Welcome Unreality! So good to see ya. Please take this idea and run with it you all. I will lurk and check out how it goes. But if needed I will jump in.

Darthnoob, I got killed off in my first games. It has NOTHING to do with you. Not personal. The players are still your friends. It is just a game. Like any

other game. You can still have a beer with your pals after tennis, etc. This is the same. That is probably why I call people cutsy names like "darlin" "toots"

etc. Bringing down the level of stress. And if you are killed fast it is cause they are scared of you..you have a rep of being smart I take it.

Unreality...if you read the two pages in this thread you will see that I just started this with the idea that more players will mean more games. But we must teach them. I think I remember you inviting me to my first mafia while I was in a brain teaser forum here.

""are there games lined up? NO Is there an official/unofficial systemnowadays for when games can be hosted to stop game-overload? NO How manyplayers can be in a game and still have it active? Just the basic like Oasis etc. I have a fewideas for games... I could host one anywhere from beginner-level touber-advanced but I need to gauge the current playerbase first I guess.I think this game needs to be beginner level.""

And with my heat rattled brain I am not going to even try to host... NOooooooo! That is a scary thought!

Just an FYI:

scsw and I have been tossing back and forth a VERY BASIC seven player mafia (2 baddies and 5 goodies), with just the basic roles (spies, kills, blocks, saves) and no independent. We're still working out the balance - it looks like right now (I haven't got feedback yet on my last reply to his last reply :D) that the scales can tip a little too rapidly from one side to the other if certain things happen...

I'm thinking of a story (I have an idea for one and I think it will work) that's in keeping with the "Mafia" type theme (more like Cops and Gang Bangers)

Right now, it looks like it will be very fast paced, but a good basic one for newbies...

I am trying to remember all the basic roles...

Baddies...

Boss, bankroller,& thug

Innocents...

Spy, Detective, protector, bomb, miller,traitor, role blocker, reviver.....

if you wiki mafia party game it is rather informative. I suggest new players do.:thumbsup:

Welcome to Mafia, a rite-playing game in which players become characters suspected in having Mafia connections. Two teams: the Honest and the Mafia will compete against each other. For the Honest team players, the task is to stop Mafia before it eliminates them. Mafia members have to hide their identity and pose as Honest players in order to manipulate the other team players towards self-destruction. It is in each player's best interest to prove his or her innocence (or if you are a Mafia member, to hide your guilt) by accusing and interrogating their fellow suspects, until all members of the opposing team areeliminated from the game.