A useful trait

That makes me great

Is graininess suits me well

Informal, sure

That's my allure

At least I'm not prone to smell

Flat and smooth and open to a fling

Confinement really isn't much my thing

compact? as in those old-fashioned quaint little cases with a mirror and face powder and puff? and as opposed to nail polish? or more formal articles of make up? or other appearance affecters like perfume?

Sand

Don't know if it's been guessed already but...

Plainglazed is spot on for interpreting the nails and most of the other clues. I see where you're going with the graininess part if it's a powder-type cosmetic... it's not what I was thinking of, but it does seem like it could be a reasonable interpretation for that clue. Juskiknback actually got what I had in mind for graininess but is missing the bit about nails.

It seems that I

Would likely fly

If ever your grip should fail

Unlike my friend

I'll not depend

On being held up by nails

And all the while

I'll show your style

Enhancing surroundings quaint

If colors clash

Don't be abashed

Just fix it up with some paint

A useful trait

That makes me great

Is graininess suits me well

Informal, sure

That's my allure

At least I'm not prone to smell

Flat and smooth and open to a fling

Confinement really isn't much my thing

mascara? or eyeliner?

is it a wall?

But i'm new, and i'm not so good at riddles :D

a posterboard, or a presentation board with a main body and two fold-in flaps.

Edited by squareContacts

Not mascara; I don't think it's grainy (but I'm a guy so no expert) and wouldn't really call it informal. Welcome, squareContacts; I usually write riddles that seem like they're describing one thing but are really describing something else and title them "I'm not a ..." whatever the more obvious of the two things is, so posterboard would be too much like the poster I rule out with the title. A wall would go against the last line. A kite fits most of the riddle, but leaves a hanging clue about why graininess would suit it well. For sandpaper, I'm not sure what it's "friend" would be that isn't held up by nails, and texturized paint wouldn't fit the first three lines.

And remember that although there are many things that don't smell, the answer should have a reason why you would include such a line in a riddle describing the object. The biggest hints I left were in post 26 going over the clues and 29 about plainglazed and justkiknback's guesses.

No one's really gone down the path I had in mind yet. I'm not sure if it's because there's so much misdirection, or if it's because there aren't any clues that really point towards the answer itself and it's only something that you could see fitting the riddle in retrospect. This one's been up for a couple of days now, so I guess I'll try doing like I did last time and see if listing the clues makes it clearer.

- seems like it might easily fly if you lose your grip

- not held up by nails (although its "friend" is)

- stylish

- paint is used to match colors

- useful with "graininess"

- informal

- not prone to smell

- flat

- not confining

a beach umbrella?

I think it fits most lines pretty well. You plant them in the sand (graininess...) while normal umbrellas are held in the hand (nails...). I think the 'not prone to smell' works if you are using the beach umbrella as opposed to sunscreen or suntan lotion (some of these tend to smell quite strongly). The 'flat' clue is the one that mostly has me concerned since even a large beach umbrella is not really that flat when opened.

a beach umbrella?

I think it fits most lines pretty well. You plant them in the sand (graininess...) while normal umbrellas are held in the hand (nails...). I think the 'not prone to smell' works if you are using the beach umbrella as opposed to sunscreen or suntan lotion (some of these tend to smell quite strongly). The 'flat' clue is the one that mostly has me concerned since even a large beach umbrella is not really that flat when opened.

Closest one yet. The location is spot on for the graininess. But there's something else that seems like a much more natural fit for being less prone to smell than its friend who's held up by nails, is flat, and often prompts some painting.

sandals or flip-flops?

- stylish

- informal

- not prone to smell

- flat

- not confining

Of the above clues, I think it fits most pretty well. Only thing that doesn't make much sense is the paint. They often feel (at least to me) that they are going to come off when I wear them, their 'friend' (a normal shoe) covers the toe nails and certainly can smell bad, they can be stylish and informal (as well as flat bottomed and certainly not confining) and they are great to wear at the beach. But I can't really find a way to work in the paint clue other than the fact that flip-flops come in lots of colors.

sandals or flip-flops?

- stylish

- informal

- not prone to smell

- flat

- not confining

Of the above clues, I think it fits most pretty well. Only thing that doesn't make much sense is the paint. They often feel (at least to me) that they are going to come off when I wear them, their 'friend' (a normal shoe) covers the toe nails and certainly can smell bad, they can be stylish and informal (as well as flat bottomed and certainly not confining) and they are great to wear at the beach. But I can't really find a way to work in the paint clue other than the fact that flip-flops come in lots of colors.

That's the answer to this one. As for the one clue that didn't quite seem like it fit:

most girls I know take the opportunity to paint their nails whenever they wear sandals that will show them off

Now that it's a few days after writing it, this one does seem to lack the "that's gotta be it" feel that should come with the solution to a good riddle. Maybe because it has some clues like the first three lines of the first and second stanzas, and the one above, that might be referring to just about anything. At any rate, a learning experience for the next one.

That's the answer to this one. As for the one clue that didn't quite seem like it fit:

most girls I know take the opportunity to paint their nails whenever they wear sandals that will show them off

Now that it's a few days after writing it, this one does seem to lack the "that's gotta be it" feel that should come with the solution to a good riddle. Maybe because it has some clues like the first three lines of the first and second stanzas, and the one above, that might be referring to just about anything. At any rate, a learning experience for the next one.

I had the "that's gotta be it" feeling as soon as I read his post. I was just waiting for you to sign on and verify. Because I am a girl, and I knew the paint clue and how it would fit. In fact, I did that last night ;) Great riddle.