Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pouring water I.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
48 replies to this topic

#11 Krissy

Krissy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:58 PM

That's exactly what I just said..

#12 polycat33

polycat33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:55 AM

I totally agree that this method is valid:

Fill the 3, pour it into the 5. Then fill the 3 again, pour into the 5 until the 5 is full. Now you have 1. Empty the 5 and pour the 1 into the 5. Fill the 3, pour it into the 5. Totally works. So does the way indicated at the beginning though.

I don't know about this half filling thing, you'd have to be really good at eying "half" and I think the other couple ways are more exact.

#13 trejt

trejt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:55 AM

fill the 3 litre. pour it into the 5 litre. fill the 3 litre again and pour it into the 5 litre until it's filled. there's 1 litre exactly left in the 3 litre. empty the 5 litre, pour the 1 remaining litre into it from the 3 litre. refill the 3 litre and pour it into the 5 litre bowl. there is now 4 litre exactly in the 5 litre bowl

#14 trejt

trejt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:58 AM

but lqengineer's is neater.

#15 The Gray Fox

The Gray Fox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:28 PM

Actually to do justice to loserfreak his explanation was indeed correct.... look
you fill the 3 then pour it into the 5 , you now have 0 in the 3 and 3 in the five then you fill the three again, pouring it into the 5, since you cannot obviously overspill water making the problem unfair you cannot put the entire three into the five for that would make it 6 in the 5. So to correspond to this you now have a full 5 and 1 left over in the 3. Empty the 5 and pour the 1 left over liter into it.
You Now have 0 in the 3 and 1 in the five. refill the 3 and pour it into the 5 leaving you 0 in the 3 and 4 in the 5.

#16 joker1108

joker1108

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:31 PM

Here's what I'm thinking:

1. Fill 3 liter with water, pour into 5 liter (now 5 liter has 3 liters of water)
2. Fill 3 liter with water again, pour into 5 liter until it's full the 5 liter is full.
3. You should have exactly 1 liter in the 3 liter bowl.
4. Dump the water out of the 5 liter bowl.
5. Pour the remaining 1 liter into the 5 liter bowl.
6. Finally, fill the 3 liter bowl with water and pour it into the 5 liter bowl, voilla exactly 4 liters in the 5 liter bowl!

#17 joker1108

joker1108

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:34 PM

Opps, sorry ya'll. I didn't read the second page of posts. Just the first page with really bad answers.

#18 cjay88

cjay88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 04:05 PM

fill the 3ltr half way that is 1.5 fill the 5 ltr half way that is 2.5 put the 2 together you get 4

#19 mystearica

mystearica

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 02:52 AM

ok, all yous, listen up cuz i gots it... sorry for the hillbilly talk, i've been in the HS play too long XD

first you fil the 5 litre one all the way to the top, pour 3 litres into the small one, dump it out, then put the remaing water in the 5 litre in another container, repeat, and you have 4

#20 aishi_khurana

aishi_khurana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:50 AM

ohh dat was too easy..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users