Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pouring water I.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
48 replies to this topic

#1 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1341 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 06:14 PM

Pouring water I. - Back to the Water and Weighing Puzzles
If you had a 5-liter bowl and a 3-liter bowl, and an unlimited access to water, how would you measure exactly 4 liters?

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.
Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Spoiler for Solution

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#2 loserfreak

loserfreak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:01 PM

Perhaps a few more steps--more wasting of water too. But it works.
1) Fill the 3. Pour it into the 5.
2) Fill the 3 again. Pour 2 into the 5. 1 remains in the 3.
3) Empty the 5. Pour the 1 from the 3 into the 5.
4) Fill the 3 again. Pour it into the 5 that already has 1 in it. Voila!

#3 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1341 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:20 AM

That's correct. BTW, this one was mentioned in a movie called Die Hard: With a Vengeance (1995) with Bruce Willis - measuring 4 gallons of water at a fountain. For more check http://www.imdb.com/...t0112864/trivia - 3rd paragraph from the bottom where it begins as follows: "There are two solutions to the water jug riddle ...".

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#4 Veracity

Veracity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:26 PM

Perhaps a few more steps--more wasting of water too. But it works.
1) Fill the 3. Pour it into the 5.
2) Fill the 3 again. Pour 2 into the 5. 1 remains in the 3.
3) Empty the 5. Pour the 1 from the 3 into the 5.
4) Fill the 3 again. Pour it into the 5 that already has 1 in it. Voila!

Doesn't work that way. If you were able to pour out only 2 units of water from the 3 unit bowl (as stated in line 2) then why not just do that twice, and you would have 4 parts. Point of the riddle is that you are not able to Eyeball 2 parts (meaning the bowls must not be marked or there would be no point for the riddle) You need to figure out a way to accurately measure 4 parts Without Guesswork...

Best I can figure is like this.

Fill the 5 unit bowl. Fill the 3 unit bowl from the 5 unit bowl leaving 2 units in the 5 unit bowl. Mark the 2 unit water line in the 5 unit bowl. Empty the 3 unit bowl. Transfer the pre measured 2 units from bowl 5 into bowl 3. Now bowl 3 has 2 units of water in it for sure! Refill the 5 unit bowl to your mark (2 units) and the dump the other 2 units in the other bowl into that one. B. I. N. G. O and BINGO was her NAME-----O

But that's assuming that you were able to mark the bowls, and I do not think that that is allowed in the rules. So it's still not really valid..lol

#5 Veracity

Veracity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:52 PM

Pouring water I. - Back to the Water and Weighing Puzzles
If you had a 5-litre and a 3-litre bowl and access to water. How would you measure exactly 4 litres?

Pouring Water I. - solution
Fill the 5-litre bowl and overspill water to the 3-litre bowl, which you empty afterwards. From the 5-litre bowl overspill the 2 remaining litres to the 3-litre bowl. Refill the 5-litre bowl and fill in the 3-litre bowl (with 1 litre), so there stay the 4 required litres in the 5-litre bowl.

Hey Rookie. I'll start by saying that I LOVE this website and the time you put into it. It is a Serious Accomplishment to get your site featured on GOOGLE's homepage. Congrads... Now with that out of the way...
I have read through LOTS of your puzzles and such, and all have well written explainations, EXCEPT THIS ONE. I read it 30 times, AND I CAN NOT MAKE SENCE OF IT! When you say overspill water into the 3 litre bowl and "from the 5 litre bowl overspill the remaining 2 litres,,, WAIT........ OOOOOOHHHHHHHH I GET ITTTT!!!! LMAO

Very Cool!

#6 warmastersor

warmastersor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 10:18 PM

@Veracity

The point is: You have already got 3 litres in the 5 litre bowl, so you dont have to guess what 2 litres will be. 2 Litres will exactly fill the 5 liter bowl, because 2+3=5. So, maybe now it will make sense.. And it IS valid.

#7 Veracity

Veracity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 12:24 PM

@Veracity

The point is: You have already got 3 litres in the 5 litre bowl, so you dont have to guess what 2 litres will be. 2 Litres will exactly fill the 5 liter bowl, because 2+3=5. So, maybe now it will make sense.. And it IS valid.

Yeah, I know, That's why I said "Oh, I Got It" Just took me a minute. I was unclear on his use of the term "Overspill"

I have never heard the word in fact. Had he said POUR the water from the 5 liter bowl, it would have made sense to me. It just took me a minute, that's all. When I heard overspill it had me thinking he was putting the 3 liter bowl in the 5 liter bowl and overfilling it until water OVERSPILLED into the 5 liter bowl. lol

No Doubt his answers are valid, if they were not he would not be all over the front page of Google... But thanks for your 2 cents worth..

#8 LQEngineer

LQEngineer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:47 AM

You can't mark the water line since this is not exact. Do the following:

1. Fill 5 liter and pour into 3 liter container leaving 2 liters (in the 5 liter container)
2. Empty 3 liter container (no rules about emptying out water) and pour the 2 liters from the 5 into the 3 liter container leaving 1 liter of head space.
3 Fill 5 liter and pour as much as the remainder of the 3 liter will handle (1 liter from step 2) leaving 4 liters exactly in the 5 liter contain. Drink the rest of the water in the 3 liter container

#9 Krissy

Krissy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 05:35 PM

I have the puzzles come up on my google home page every time I refresh and am loving doing them.

I know this isn't the exact way to do this puzzle and that it is actually kinda just a cheap way. (also my maths could be off, never was good at maths) However couldn't you just half fill both containers...? I mean half of 5 is 2.5 and half of three is 1.5 and 2.5 + 1.5 = 4?

I mean.. yeah its kinda a cheat way. But its what I originally thought of. It also wouldn't exactly be accurate because you wouldn't be able to exactly find half way in each bowl.. but still... It'd kinda work

#10 tommy

tommy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:36 PM

Pour water in half of each bowl. So you have 1.5 litre ( 3Litre bowl) 2.5 ( 5 litre bowl)
Then pour the 1.5 litre on the 2.5 litre, thus you have 4 litre.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users