Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5918 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:44 AM

Great discussion ... my rationale was on a much lower level.

The dangers are:

ravenous wolf
roaring lion
angry bear
sure death - note: it isn't said to be imminent death, just sure death.

As is commonly known, nothing is sure but death and taxes.
So sure death lies on all the paths.
Why add a beast to that?

Go East.
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#22 Jkyle1980

Jkyle1980

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:13 AM

I just liked talking about choking mountain lions with fists and turning them inside out, very Chuck Norris-ish.

#23 Xspyder

Xspyder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:12 AM

Frightened near half out my wit
I chose a log to think and sit
Wandered aimless into a wood
I got lost, perhaps for good
South the ravenous wolf I hear
And west the lion’s roar is near
Northward lies an angry bear
And east sure death is what I fear
North or South, East or West
Which way to travel is the best?

#24 Xspyder

Xspyder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:55 AM

First of all ( I ) was frieghtened ) half (not wholly) out of my wits, (thus my reason for running into the woods)
To sit and think. ( to gather myself and regain my wits), gotta get alone at times like this (thus the aimlessness),
I then realized that I was lost and perhaps that was good, for what I feared ( though perhaps only a fantom ) now could not find me either, ((I've never really been lost, except when someone else couldn't find me )) and that the object of fear was not a threat as described later in my diary and "thought of sure death" I can imagine a lot of real things that could bring upon the "thought of sure death", most of them involve some breaking of principle of moral code or departure from a well
established concept of "reality" that I would hold dear to me even as to life itself. I couldn't have been lost (as stated )
since I knew the four directions, which could be difficult to determine in a forrest where bears, wolfs and lions may inhabit,
thence the "gotten lost" was and is a good thing when you want to lose something (some thoght), (( several times I've had the opportunity to take the advice, "Go..get lost", applying wisdom or advice when I had no wit "out of my wits", surely
I was "stumped" (thus a bump on a log). Finally upon wakening from my witless state, "real" potential dangers entered my witless state and taking notice, had a choice, "return to the scource and cause of panic, after gathering myself, realizing actual dangers of this world are truly more dangerous than a temporary displacement of conceptual thought. Of course one
does not abandon all priorities having returned to ones "wits" and directly returned to the situation from whence I'd been so
blindly driven (don't hold me to that point) from. ie. my fomer self. (suscinct) <spell check> enough??????? RSVP!!!!

Edited by Xspyder, 07 February 2008 - 09:02 AM.

#25 bociniki

bociniki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 12:57 AM

I was going at this another way and thinking that "sure death is what I fear" meant that you would find sure death. If that is the case, than you should head either northwest or southwest. Than, if the wild animals come after you, you wait until they are close and then climb a tree. Hopefully, the animals would kill each other, and then you can climb down and go on. Nice riddle though, I like it!

#26 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:14 AM

You could have come in from the south, and the wolves would have approached from behind once you were already in the woods. Or the same with the mountain lions/bears. I assume these animals aren't just stationary. They move around, and suddenly you find yourself in the woods with the way you came in now blocked by an animal. At least that's how i interpreted it.

#27 imtcb

imtcb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:23 AM

I would have thought you would just keep walking down the paved path, obviously being in a zoo!

(hehe, j/k)

#28 grey cells

grey cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2807 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:08 AM

OK . I agree that east is by far the best direction to move . But then why do we have to move? We can remain stationary , in the same place , atleast for a definite period of time . Then when we have overcome our fear of the thing or something in the east direction , we can make a move to the east. ;) Just providing alternative solutions.

Edited by grey cells, 31 March 2008 - 11:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users