Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#11 octopuppy

octopuppy

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:00 PM

I've always kinda wanted to try and kill a lion with my bare (BEAR! :) ) hands, my dad used to tell me stories of a guy who did by shoving his arm down the mt. lion's throat :) think that would work?

If it doesn't work, you could always chalk one up for natural selection...

#12 niner

niner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:47 PM

If by "think" you mean "guessing without any scientific basis whatsoever", then I do not think it would work. I do not know that the cougar's throat is actually large enough to fit your fist into. This would also entail reversing your instincts. The natural reaction to pain is to jump backwards, away from the source of the pain. So while the cougar was sinking his teeth into your arm, you would have to be thrusting forward toward the source of the pain. If the cat were to clamp down, I doubt that it's teeth are sharp enough nor a person strong enough to pull the arm away, let alone push the arm forward. Lastly, kitties have claws, too. You would be leaving yourself extremely vulnerable to swipes from the cougar. So, yeah. Best to stand your ground, spread your arms to appear as large as possible (the cobra defense), and grab a stick that you could swing if the cougar crept close enough.

I didn't say I would walk away unscathed. In fact the guy did end up in the hospital, but better to be in the hospital than to be 6-feet under :) The mt. lion did die though so it was successful

#13 curlgirl

curlgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 11:56 PM

I like GIjeff's answer but i think it could also be east since east is only a fear of death, a fear of death is not necessarily death.

I'm with wcherber--"fear of death" seems to be the safest route offered. But I sure enjoyed the discussion about killing a mountain lion! (I've gotta root for the lion, though. We've killed too much wildlife on this planet already.)

#14 Jkyle1980

Jkyle1980

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 08:45 AM

I would head east. You have to face your fears. Lightbulb!! If you spend your life running from your fears then you are not really living anyway. Could it be a riddle with a moral?

I didn't say I would walk away unscathed. In fact the guy did end up in the hospital, but better to be in the hospital than to be 6-feet under :) The mt. lion did die though so it was successful

It may be possible, but that does not make it probable.

I'm with wcherber--"fear of death" seems to be the safest route offered. But I sure enjoyed the discussion about killing a mountain lion! (I've gotta root for the lion, though. We've killed too much wildlife on this planet already.)

Liberals.

#15 vime

vime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 05:26 PM

Frightened near half out my wit
I chose a log to think and sit
Wandered aimless into a wood
I got lost, perhaps for good
South the ravenous wolf I hear
And west the lion’s roar is near
Northward lies an angry bear
And east sure death is what I fear
North or South, East or West
Which way to travel is the best?

If a person gets lost in the woods n hears a wolf from the south, a lion roaring from the west, an angry bear from the north... i guess he'd/she piss in their pants. k to the point.. The person is scared n therefore fears that may be there could be a wild animal in the east direction but theres no harm in travelling east (after all hes not left with any option...... he'd better be moving quick)

#16 buzzy

buzzy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:13 PM

I've always kinda wanted to try and kill a lion with my bare (BEAR! :) ) hands, my dad used to tell me stories of a guy who did by shoving his arm down the mt. lion's throat :) think that would work?

Sure, he'd have to reach all the way down and grab the tip of it's tail. Then pull hard enough to turn it inside out and it would just go off in the opposite direction. My father in law used to tell my husband that story when when my husband was about six years old. Deb

#17 riddle_me_this

riddle_me_this

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:48 AM

Spoiler for A guess

#18 Writersblock

Writersblock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:55 PM

Ok, so give me a little artistic license for putting a "lion" in the forest. Let's call it a mountain lion.

Many of you got the direction right, but nobody got the gist of the riddle that I was going for. Maybe too ambiguous. Some were close.

Here's my thinking when I wrote it:

The narrator had to get IN to the woods somehow. If he got to a spot where he hears dangerous animals on 3 sides, then his fear is unfounded for the 4th because that's the way he had to have come from, or else he'd already have run into the animals.

So, knowing his fear of death to the east is unfounded, he should head that way. ;)

#19 schmod54

schmod54

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:04 AM

Ok, so give me a little artistic license for putting a "lion" in the forest. Let's call it a mountain lion.

Many of you got the direction right, but nobody got the gist of the riddle that I was going for. Maybe too ambiguous. Some were close.

Here's my thinking when I wrote it:

The narrator had to get IN to the woods somehow. If he got to a spot where he hears dangerous animals on 3 sides, then his fear is unfounded for the 4th because that's the way he had to have come from, or else he'd already have run into the animals.

So, knowing his fear of death to the east is unfounded, he should head that way. ;)

In that light, him being scared of east even though he came from that direction makes me think that he was being chased by someone or something, which makes east the worst choice for me.

#20 Writersblock

Writersblock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:33 AM

I see that, assuming it's a rational fear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users