Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jkyle1980

Jkyle1980

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:22 AM

This is not so much a puzzle as it is a request for some help. My uncle told me, "Smart men are those who can walk into a room and know that they are the dumb ones." So, with that in mind, I need some help with my geometry. (This isn't homework, I'm too old to be in school.)

Here are the criteria:

You are given two points, X and Y, and the direction in degrees, L, between X and Y, assuming up is 0 or 360. X is the center of a circle with a radius of .5 and the center of a square with sides of 1; Y is the center of a circle with a radius of 1 and the center of a square with sides of 2. The squares are tilted so that their sides are parallel with each other and a line connecting X and Y will bisect one side of each square. With this information, can you determine a formula to find the outside corners of the two squares, A B C and D. All points will lie in the upper-right quadrant of a two dimensional graph (all numbers will be positive). I've attached a picture for clarification.

Attached Images

• Picture3.jpg

#2 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5918 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:46 AM

Assuming you know the coordinates of X, the length L and its angle a, here are the points.
If instead you're given X and Y, then simply calculate L and a from them.
Don't bet anything significant on this, there could be a typo or two [physical or mental].

A = -.5[cos a+sin a+x1, cos a-sin a+x2]
D = -.5[sin a-cos a+x1, cos a+sin a+x2]

B = [-cos a+(L+1)*sin a+x1, sin a+(L+1)*cos a+x2]
C = [ cos a+(L+1)*sin a+x1, -sin a+(L+1)*cos a+x2]
Spoiler for The calculation...

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users