Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 bushindo

bushindo

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:17 PM

5 prisoners are on a death row. Let's call them A, B, C, D, and E. The warden gives them a chance of living. He gives them each a doctored gun and let them engage in a death match. Let's say the guns are modified so that their chances of hitting varies. A's chance of hitting and killing any other player is always 1/5. B's chance is always 2/5, C's is 3/5, D's is 4/5, and E's is 5/5. Assume that every single shot will either miss or kill. A player must shoot someone on his turn. Each player knows his gun's accuracy rate and the others' as well.

The players take turn shooting in the following order: A, B, C, D, and E. During his turn, a gun slinger can choose to shoot at anyone he wants. If a player is killed, then the order of shooting will continue in the same sequence but with the dead player skipped. Players take turn shooting until there is only 1 player remaining.

Assume that each player wants to maximize their own chances of living, and that each player knows that the others will do the same. Answer the following

1) What should A do on this first turn?

2) What should B do on the second turn?

3) What should C do on the third turn?

Super hard bonus: Suppose that the warden likes you, so the night before the game he allows you the chance to choose your gun. Essentially he allows you to choose your position as A, B, C, D, or E. Which position should you choose to maximize your chances of living, assuming that everyone plays optimally? Assume that the other prisoners don't know about this so they won't unduly target you out of spite.

#2 preflop

preflop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:53 PM

here goes

Spoiler for my initial thoughts

Sent from my rotary dial phone.

#3 mollie13eth

mollie13eth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:58 PM

Round 1

I think A, B, and C all will shoot at E and E would be dead the first round based on 1/5 + 2/5 + 3/5 = 6/5 = a darn good probability that E is dead

Then D would shoot C, and with his 4/5 probability and there only being 4 people, C would probably be dead in the first round as well.

Round 2

Next A & B would shoot at D and 1/5 + 2/5 = 3/5 good chance that D is dead

Round 3

C wouldn't shoot anyone because he's probably dead.

A & B would continue shooting D until D is dead.

Overall best position:

B, because B and A are the last two standing, and B has a better chance of killing A.

- me :wub:

Edited by mollie13eth, 01 June 2009 - 06:59 PM.

#4 chicory

chicory

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1409 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:59 PM

5 prisoners are on a death row. Let's call them A, B, C, D, and E. The warden gives them a chance of living. He gives them each a doctored gun and let them engage in a death match. Let's say the guns are modified so that their chances of hitting varies. A's chance of hitting and killing any other player is always 1/5. B's chance is always 2/5, C's is 3/5, D's is 4/5, and E's is 5/5. Assume that every single shot will either miss or kill. A player must shoot someone on his turn. Each player knows his gun's accuracy rate and the others' as well.

The players take turn shooting in the following order: A, B, C, D, and E. During his turn, a gun slinger can choose to shoot at anyone he wants. If a player is killed, then the order of shooting will continue in the same sequence but with the dead player skipped. Players take turn shooting until there is only 1 player remaining.

Assume that each player wants to maximize their own chances of living, and that each player knows that the others will do the same. Answer the following

1) What should A do on this first turn?

2) What should B do on the second turn?

3) What should C do on the third turn?

Super hard bonus: Suppose that the warden likes you, so the night before the game he allows you the chance to choose your gun. Essentially he allows you to choose your position as A, B, C, D, or E. Which position should you choose to maximize your chances of living, assuming that everyone plays optimally? Assume that the other prisoners don't know about this so they won't unduly target you out of spite.

Spoiler for A should

#5 bushindo

bushindo

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:04 PM

Spoiler for A should

Assume unlimited bullets. And players will continue to get turn on the next round if they miss. Players continue shooting until there's only 1 player left.

#6 genmaximus2000

genmaximus2000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:06 PM

[spoiler name='my guess']
Everyone will shoot for the guy with the best gun. So A will shoot for E, if he hits B will shoot for D, but if A misses B will shoot for E. Each person wants to take out the guy with the best gun to give his gun a better chance to win. If the player has the best gun, he will shoot for the second best. The end result will be that A will be one of the final contenders along with B, C, D, or E depending on who hits. It's very likely that it will be A and B or A and C (I don't have the percentages). So if I could choose my position I would choose A or B.
[\spoiler]

#7 chicory

chicory

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1409 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:18 PM

Assume unlimited bullets. And players will continue to get turn on the next round if they miss. Players continue shooting until there's only 1 player left.

Spoiler for A should

#8 chicory

chicory

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1409 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:20 PM

Spoiler for maybe

#9 Minh08

Minh08

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:38 PM

I would look at this situation backwards
E would go for the next best shooter
D would go for E because he knows that E will go for him
C would go for E because he doesn't want D to die since the next best shooter would be himself
B has no problem with E,D,C since they are the ones going to be killing each other so B would definitely go for A, because no one would be going for A
A would have to kill B since he knows that B will try and kill him.

So...

A would shoot B
B would go for A
and C would shoot E

#10 final

final

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:10 PM

Spoiler for guesserino

havent really check to see if me thought process made too much sense just thought and wrote but thinking back on what i thought i think i was thinking thoughtfully

edit addition

to clarify i guesstimated that the chance of c being last to be 1/3 so his survival is close to .71*1/3=.23 and b's 2/3 (once again ignoring slight chance of d or e. ) so 2/3*.615=.41 and a's is 2/3*.385+1/3*.29= .351 so maybe b is best. b's chance and a's chance are actually lower then this and b's more overestimated then a's i think so i think there about equalish

Edited by final, 01 June 2009 - 08:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users