Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sand-glass I.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:43 PM

Hourglass I. - Back to the Water and Weighing Puzzles
Having 2 sand-glasses: one 7-minute and the second one 4-minute, how can you correctly time 9 minutes?

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.
Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Spoiler for Solution

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#2 metallicats

metallicats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:01 AM

You can correctly time 9 minutes by repeatedly flipping over the two glasses in this order:
each 1 stands for a minute and ** stands for flip

1 1 1 1*1 1 1 1*1 1 1 1*1 1 1 1*1 1 1 1
*********1 1 1 1 1 1 1*1 1 1 1 1 1 1

once the one seven minute glass is done, there is only one minute left in the four minute glass. two more flips of the four minute glass will get you nine minutes. To make it easier, start the four minute glass and when it's half full flip the seven minute glass.

#3 mannu

mannu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:17 AM

I think there is a faster way to do this..

Start with both the hr glsses. At the end of 4 minutes keep the 4min glass inverted and wait for the 7min hr glass to get empty. When the 7min glass is empty keep it in inverted position. After 1 minute, totally 8 minutes have passed. Now invert the 7min hr glass. And u have 4 + 4 + 1 =9.

Tell me if its not right.

#4 peachykeen

peachykeen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:09 PM

I think I have something that could work...

Turn both glasses over and let them run. Once the 4 min is done, turn it over again and let it run until the 7 minute glass is done. Once the 7 minute glass is done, there is one minute left on the 4 minute glass, so turn it over to let the one minute run through and this begins the 9 minutes you are timing. Then just turn the 4 minute over two more times to gain the 8 more minutes you need to get a total of 9 minutes.

#5 imagoombah

imagoombah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:11 AM

Although, peachykeen, yours is the only answer anyone can understand, nine min. could be timed a bit faster using a similar method.

-Start both timers

1. When the 4 min. glass is done, start it again. (The 7 min. glass now has 3 min. left to count)

2. When the 7 min. glass is done, start it again. (There will be one min. remaining on the 4 min. glass and the 7 min. glass will now be counting that one min.)

3. When the 4 min. glass is done, the 7 min. glass will now have just one min. worth of sand on the bottom, turn it over and that sand will count the remaining min.

1. 4min. (from the 4 min. glass)
2. 3min. (from the 7 min. glass)
3. 1min. + 1min. (the first from the 4 min. glass, the second from the 7 min. glass)

#6 Aseatha85

Aseatha85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:57 PM

there is a much simpler meathod.

it says corectly time 9 mins with the two glasses, it never says you have to use them at the same time.

so start the 4 min glass, when that is half gone, start the 7 min glass

2+7=9

much faster and much less hassle then to stand there and flip the glasses several times.

#7 peachykeen

peachykeen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:06 PM

there is a much simpler meathod.

it says corectly time 9 mins with the two glasses, it never says you have to use them at the same time.

so start the 4 min glass, when that is half gone, start the 7 min glass

2+7=9

much faster and much less hassle then to stand there and flip the glasses several times.

It would be easier, but there is no way to tell that you are timing exactly 9 minutes because you cant, by sight, get the exact half way point of the 4 minute glass.

#8 cpotting

cpotting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 07:29 PM

Several people, so far, have commented on having "faster" ways to solve this problem.

I'd just like to point out, that ALL these methods take 9 minutes. None of them are "faster".

pedantic, but true

#9 firefox

firefox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:40 AM

4min---|--7min|Time
---------------------
down-4|down-7|0
up-4---|down-3|4
up-1---|up-7---|7
down-4|up-6---|8mins

In sand glasses we can count to the minute mentioned or for each inversion. So I don't think
4+3+1+1 =9 will work because we can't measure the last minute.Please point out if I'm wrong in this regard.

A probable solution will be
4min---|--7min| Time
---------------------------
down-4|*****| 0
up-4 --|down-7| 4
down-4|down-3| 8
up-1---|down-0| 9mins

4+4+1=9 .

P.S: Note that in both the tables the time is taken into account only if there is an inversion (down-up or up-down) of either of the sand glass in use.And ***** is used to indicate not needed, | is used as a separator....corrected one...

thanks,
firefox...

#10 zhuazi

zhuazi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 05:43 AM

a b

4/0 7/0
0/4 3/4 flip a
4/0 3/4 time begin