Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Riddle

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#31 statman

statman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:33 PM

Surely that comment is completely incorrect and misguided? Have you ever dug a hole? Climb in one sometime and try to removing something (anything) from it and see if it get's bigger.

If there was a rock in the bottom of the hole and you removed it, the hole would get bigger. Nothing more complicated than that.

I have dug many holes, and have been in many holes. If there is a rock in the bottom, it is not a part of the hole, but the area that defines where the hole is, it is a part of the ground. Being in the hole, the only thing I can truly remove from the hole is myself, and all I have done is increase the air volume, and decreased the me volume inside the hole. To make a hole larger, I still argue that you must remove material from the edges of the hole, not from the hole itself.
Definition of hole: (from the internet) A hollowed place in something solid; a cavity or pit: dug a hole in the ground with a shovel.
To make a hole bigger, you must remove more of what is solid, not remove the hole. If I take away from a hole in my pants for example, I am mending, making the hole smaller, not larger.

#32 atulchaudhary

atulchaudhary

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:49 AM

It's a HOLE!!
Martin :)

i think it's TENSION. The more you take tension, the more it becomes !! :D :) :D

#33 ash013

ash013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:03 PM

It's hOle.

#34 pacman 1226

pacman 1226

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:38 AM

a hole? I've heard this with varied answers

#35 abhisk

abhisk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:00 AM

Spoiler for solution
-_-

#36 Writersblock

Writersblock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:22 AM

I have dug many holes, and have been in many holes. If there is a rock in the bottom, it is not a part of the hole, but the area that defines where the hole is, it is a part of the ground. Being in the hole, the only thing I can truly remove from the hole is myself, and all I have done is increase the air volume, and decreased the me volume inside the hole. To make a hole larger, I still argue that you must remove material from the edges of the hole, not from the hole itself.
Definition of hole: (from the internet) A hollowed place in something solid; a cavity or pit: dug a hole in the ground with a shovel.
To make a hole bigger, you must remove more of what is solid, not remove the hole. If I take away from a hole in my pants for example, I am mending, making the hole smaller, not larger.

I think you miss the obvious though, unless you are making the argument for sake of semantics. What is a hole without that which surrounds it? It’s just space. A hole MUST be defined by that which surrounds it; otherwise you don't recognize it as a hole. When you say you are taking away from a hole, you have to mean you are taking away from the defining structure of the hole; otherwise what you are saying is meaningless. If you are restricting the concept of hole to the empty space, you cannot take away from nothing - you have just created a logical fallacy. When you mend or fill in a hole, you are not taking away from the empty space, but rather you are adding to the defining structure of the hole.

#37 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 12:25 AM

I think you miss the obvious though, unless you are making the argument for sake of semantics. What is a hole without that which surrounds it? It's just space. A hole MUST be defined by that which surrounds it; otherwise you don't recognize it as a hole. When you say you are taking away from a hole, you have to mean you are taking away from the defining structure of the hole; otherwise what you are saying is meaningless. If you are restricting the concept of hole to the empty space, you cannot take away from nothing - you have just created a logical fallacy. When you mend or fill in a hole, you are not taking away from the empty space, but rather you are adding to the defining structure of the hole.

The hole is the space, space is three dimensional, enlarging the space means removing more material from the boundary, not the hole!

I'm not with the hole answer, but i'm with the whole truth!

#38 Writersblock

Writersblock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:53 PM

I didn't say "enlarging the space" I said (as per the riddle) "taking away from" the hole. That term is meaningless unless defined as I pointed out. You can never take away from empty space, unless you are talking about evacuation of the air that fills that space in an atmosphere; but here we don't have the presupposition of an atmosphere, only a hole, i.e. empty space defined by some sort of boundary. Therefore the only way to give meaning to the term "taking away from a hole" is to define the hole by its surroundings and defining structure and to interpret the phrase as meaning taking material from such a structure.

You can't change the wording of what I said to fit your argument. :)

#39 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:33 PM

Possibly some people see a hole - others see a space, as in landfill! What does it take for a hole to become a space, a gap that is there for other things to travel through, button hole or hole where a pipe should fit,,.mmm pipe is an interesting hole/space. Do you make the hole bigger or do you just move the boundary. Still into semantics, but i see the space and I am lost in it!...HEEELP!

#40 atulchaudhary

atulchaudhary

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 05:18 AM

The more you take away from it the larger it gets. What is it?

TENSION !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users