Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Riddle

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#11 lafcadio

lafcadio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:45 PM

The more you take away from it the larger it gets. What is it?

NOSTALGIA!!!

#12 Maximus

Maximus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:27 PM

Spoiler for My guess is.....

Good question

THere could be more possibilities

Ill give it a think and get back to you. That is my first thout tho ^^^

#13 Diogo

Diogo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 01:26 PM

The solution is "an hole"

#14 SinFulNinjA

SinFulNinjA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:00 AM

its a fraction the 1/2 is .5 but 1/1 is 1 and 1/.5 is 2 and so on

#15 ssxm

ssxm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:50 PM

a negative number woot i r the win

#16 Prince_Marth85

Prince_Marth85

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:00 PM

Spoiler for Solution

#17 amandadeemcminn

amandadeemcminn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:39 PM

ya, it is a hole... although the hydra idea is creative. :)

#18 statman

statman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:20 PM

"The more you take away from it the larger it gets. What is it?"
Despite the fact that I have always seen the answer to this question as "a hole", I must disagree with that answer. What do you take away from a hole? You can make a hole larger by removing what is around the hole, but not from taking anything from the existing hole. A negative number works better if by taking away from you mean subtraction, and are talking about the size of the number, but taking away from a negative number could actually be addition (making it less negative).
My answer would have to be hunger (desire, lust, greed, etc.)...the more food (or item longed after) you take away, the larger the hunger grows, but you are not truly taking away from the emotion, but the person with the emotion.

#19 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:27 PM

Is'nt the question the more you add to it the smaller it get's then hole/space works as an answer (To me anyway)

The more you take away from it the larger it gets. What is it?

Take a hole or space that is - how do take from it? to me that that means reducing the hole/space ( or are you adding to it - increasing it's size)
Item is 20m3 becomes 25m3 that's adding you took away something next to it but took nothing out of it!
To take something away from such an item it would mean adding an item into the hole/space

Starting with a negative is not the answer but then a hole is not a neagative.
Sorry confusing the issue
Hole, space anything that means gap and other synonym (in oher words) does not work for the original answer

Could be the answer is in the cosmos - Black hole radiation ultra violet light thingymajig or something similar.

#20 westonben

westonben

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:43 AM

Despite the fact that I have always seen the answer to this question as "a hole", I must disagree with that answer. What do you take away from a hole? You can make a hole larger by removing what is around the hole, but not from taking anything from the existing hole.

Surely that comment is completely incorrect and misguided? Have you ever dug a hole? Climb in one sometime and try to removing something (anything) from it and see if it get's bigger.

If there was a rock in the bottom of the hole and you removed it, the hole would get bigger. Nothing more complicated than that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users