Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Riddle

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#91 kidsranqe

kidsranqe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 06:14 AM

erm what about
Spoiler for solution?

#92 hafamazin

hafamazin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 12:09 PM

For those claiming it is not a hole.. What if the OP were reversed? What gets smaller as you add to it? Then does a hole work then as the answer? And for those that claim it is a negative number - which is a larger number, -10 or -11? I would say as you "take away" from a negative number you do not get a larger number (or for that matter a larger negative number - in that -10 is a larger number than -11 and both are negative numbers.)

the negative number works because if a number is a large negative number it is the same as saying an infinitely small positive, your idea of large has to flip along the number line. For example, velocity: if you were moving at 100 mph and then began moving at -100 mph we would not say you were slowing down but rather that you were moving quickly in the other direction same concept.

#93 Kardnut

Kardnut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:15 AM

let me give it a try....
1. a hole.
2. air pressure (vacuum)
3. ignorance (my favorite)
4. denominater (when you reduce the denominater on a fraction the fraction gets bigger i.e 1/2 bigger than 1/4)

#94 Pittwork

Pittwork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:45 PM

For those claiming it is not a hole.. What if the OP were reversed? What gets smaller as you add to it? Then does a hole work then as the answer? And for those that claim it is a negative number - which is a larger number, -10 or -11? I would say as you "take away" from a negative number you do not get a larger number (or for that matter a larger negative number - in that -10 is a larger number than -11 and both are negative numbers.)

No a hole does not work for that answer for the same reason. You are not adding a hole to a hole you are adding dirt to the hole to make it smaller.

But, you're right about the negative number. -10 > -11. Velocity is different than a negative number for the person that wrote that. There is no such thing as a negative velocity. if you take away from a negative number you could say the absolute value of the number gets bigger, but that does not satisfy the question.

I don't think nothing works either. Let's stay with the number analogy. Say you have zero. You take one away now you have negative one. As I stated above 0>-1.

I think nothing might work if you are saying there is no answer to this riddle, however.

But, I do think it can be life for the same reason as stated by someone above.

Really, though it deends on how the question is stated. If it reads what thing can you take something away from to make the first thing bigger, then a hole works. But, if it reads what can you take away from itself then i don't think too many things work except for maybe life.

#95 parikshit

parikshit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:33 AM

The more you take away from it the larger it gets. What is it?

Answer is knowledge or education

#96 ram mohan sharma

ram mohan sharma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:12 AM

its a chain reaction in a nuclear plant , as you take more Be ,Cd rods away the large will be the chain reaction

#97 ram mohan sharma

ram mohan sharma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:15 AM

hi man the Number line starting from Zero, go towards a +ve side .. the more take away the larger will be the number.

#98 NAPALM71

NAPALM71

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:40 PM

DEBT :D :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users