Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Igniter Cords

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:40 PM

Burning Fuses - Back to the Water and Weighing Puzzles
Your job is to measure 45 minutes, if you have only two cords and matches to light the cords.

1. The two cords are twisted from various materials and so their different segments can burn at different rates.
2. Each cord burns from end to end in exactly one hour.

Describe your way of measuring the 45 minutes.

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.
Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Spoiler for Solution

Spoiler for old wording

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#2 sunil_h_v

sunil_h_v

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:18 PM

well the above reply says start ignition on both ends of the first cord.
The question specifies that it is being built from different materials , so how do we know
that it is exactly symmetrical materials are used from both points such that it will take exactly
30 minutes to reach the end ????

I suppose that answer will not be satiable.

#3 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:31 PM

well the above reply says start ignition on both ends of the first cord.
The question specifies that it is being built from different materials , so how do we know
that it is exactly symmetrical materials are used from both points such that it will take exactly
30 minutes to reach the end ????

I suppose that answer will not be satiable.

It seems quite clear to me. Second condition says:
2. Every cord burns from ignition to the end exactly one hour.
So if you ignite the same cord on both ends, it should stop burning after half an hour. And, of course, spot where the fire from both ends meets does not have to be in the middle at all.

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#4 sunil_h_v

sunil_h_v

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:46 PM

yes sir, i got your point, my mistake, i dint understand it, apologies for that.

Regards,

Sunil.

#5 larryhl

larryhl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 07:14 PM

that was the extra credit on one of my calc 3 exams. i loved the puzzle then, still a great puzzle now. incidentally, i got it right on the exam =D

#6 Domhnall

Domhnall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:01 PM

could you not just fold one cord in half then make note of the middle, then fold that half in the middle and make note of the quarter, then light and wait for that quarter to burn?

#7 larryhl

larryhl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:38 PM

could you not just fold one cord in half then make note of the middle, then fold that half in the middle and make note of the quarter, then light and wait for that quarter to burn?

i believe you are expecting for the quarter to burn for 15 minutes. however, due to the nature of the cords not burning at regular speeds in the middle of the cords, folding the cord into quarters won't necessarily give you a time of 15 minutes. the reason we can safely measure half an hour is because we know that the entire cords will burn for 1 hour, so if you light it from the ends, the cord will only last 30 minutes. however, if you start burning it from somewhere that isn't an end, you will get variable times.

#8 coolastro1016

coolastro1016

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:20 AM

The first guy has the right idea. like me

#9 TheBoss

TheBoss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:58 PM

I believe this solution is also possible .. Please comment ...

1. Ignite the first cord at the two ends and somewhere approximately in the middle so that the fire from the middle propagates towards the two ends. It should take 15 minutes for this first cord to burn out completely (There would be two pieces of the first igniter cord since it was ignited at the middle as well - EVERY LAST BIT should burn out)

2. Ignite at the second cord at the two ends as soon as the first cord "completely" burns out. This would take another 30 minutes.

#10 KbCb

KbCb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:12 PM

All of this seems fine to me except one thing... Didn't the original question request timing 45 minutes, rather than the 30 everyone is talking about?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users