Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Honestants and Swindlecants I.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
39 replies to this topic

#21 Talent

Talent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:18 PM

I'd say this whole problem works on pretty vague logic.

#22 RiddleRookie

RiddleRookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 06:47 PM

I say that C is an Honestant and B is a Swindlecant.

#23 Tayah

Tayah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:27 PM

Why doesn't the guy just ask a question he already knows the awnser to like what color is my hair?

Haha, that is so true...
Although the person below is also right, it would defeat the object of the riddle just a little bit :)

#24 robnstl

robnstl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:19 PM

These are typical logic problems which can be solved by using classic logic operations.
There are two kinds of people on a mysterious island. There are so-called Honestants who speak always the truth, and the others are Swindlecants who always lie.
Three fellows (A, B and C) are having a quarrel at the market. A gringo goes by and asks the A fellow: "Are you an Honestant or a Swindlecant?" The answer is incomprehensible so the gringo asks B: "What did A say?" B answers: "A said that he is a Swindlecant." And to that says the fellow C: "Do not believe B, he is lying!" Who is B and C?

Ok so ive been reading all the responses saying that B is a swindle cat and C is an Honestant, but that is wrong. The point that keeps getting forgotten about is that Swindlecats ALWAYS LIES so if B was a Swindlecat his response would have been A didnt say anything, because Swindlecats always lie, but insteed he said A said he is a swindlecat, so this must make B a honestant, and C a swindlecat. because if c is lying then his true responce would be Listen to B he is always telling the truth. Anyways let me know what yall think. Also I think this logic problem is setup illogically, so really the answer is thsat its a illogical problem

#25 chinnmai

chinnmai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:48 AM

Let start with A

If A is Honestant, he must say "He is Honestant"
If A is Swindlecant, he must say "He is Honestant" <-- He's lying
So, whatever A is, he must say "He is Honestant"

B said "A is Swindlecant", his words must be not truth due to above.
B is absolutely Swindlecant.

C, due to Swindlecant B, C said the truth.
C is absolutely Honestant.

For A, we can not identify that why the problem asks only B and C not A.

#26 cmabb21

cmabb21

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:46 PM

Honestants and Swindlecants I. - Back to the Logic Problems
These are typical logic problems which can be solved by using classic logic operations.
There are two kinds of people on a mysterious island. There are so-called Honestants who speak always the truth, and the others are Swindlecants who always lie.
Three fellows (A, B and C) are having a quarrel at the market. A gringo goes by and asks the A fellow: "Are you an Honestant or a Swindlecant?" The answer is incomprehensible so the gringo asks B: "What did A say?" B answers: "A said that he is a Swindlecant." And to that says the fellow C: "Do not believe B, he is lying!" Who is B and C?

well we all know that A could not have said "I am a Swindlecant" If he had said that, and he were a swindlecant, he would have been telling the truth. And if he had said that and he were a honestant, he would have been lying.
So B is obviously lying and therefore a Swindlecant himself. Which means that C was telling the truth and he is a Honestant.

#27 Mattbk718

Mattbk718

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:11 PM

What if B and C are both lying?

#28 muggins

muggins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:59 PM

A cannot say he is a swindlecant
Logic = swindlecant would lie and say honestant, honestant would say honestant

therefore we know that b is lying and therefore a swindlecant

as we know that b is a swindlecant we know that c is telling the truth and is therefore an honestant

#29 FreudianComplex

FreudianComplex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:13 PM

No one can say they're a Swindlecant because they always lie, so B is a Swindlecant, while C is a Honestant. A is probably an Honestant if B understood what A said. But if B is just made up something, he is still lying, A does not have to tell the truth, so A is either, B is Swindlecant, and C is an Honestant.

I love these :P

#30 moglie

moglie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:22 AM

Given in another way, in reference to claiming that we can know what 'A' is----
Actually the puzzle says that "the answer [from A] is incomprehensible" so we can't assume that A gave a word/phrase-answer at all... Maybe A was drunk...or was knocked out with a bat... We don't know.. All we know is that A's answer [maybe it was a yelp] was not able to be understood...

Additionally, B making a claim that "A'' said something AT ALL would [by the logic given for why B is a Swindlecant], be a lie making it so that A must have NOT really replied (for whatever reason) at all!

B is making the claim that 1. A said something
2. the something A said was that he/she is a swindlecant
Based on the logic that B is a swindlecant (already proven well in previous posts) means that 1 and 2 above must both be lies........A said Nothing and the fact that B made claim to what A is, is null now that we know A said nothing b/c we know B was lying when he said that A said anything at all...

A = unknown/can't prove
B = swindlecant
C = honestant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users