Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Honestants and Swindlecants I.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
39 replies to this topic

#1 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:32 PM

Honestants and Swindlecants I. - Back to the Logic Problems
These are typical logic problems which can be solved by using classic logic operations.
There are two kinds of people on a mysterious island. There are so-called Honestants who speak always the truth, and the others are Swindlecants who always lie.
Three fellows (A, B and C) are having a quarrel at the market. A gringo goes by and asks the A fellow: "Are you an Honestant or a Swindlecant?" The answer is incomprehensible so the gringo asks B: "What did A say?" B answers: "A said that he is a Swindlecant." And to that says the fellow C: "Do not believe B, he is lying!" Who is B and C?

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.
Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Spoiler for Solution

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#2 babygurl456321

babygurl456321

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:27 PM

Actually, if you figure B is a swindlecant and he said that A was a swindlecant, that means he lied and A is really an honestant. So you can figure out who everyone it.

#3 fosley

fosley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 05:10 PM

babygurl456321, I don't think it works that way. B said "A said he's a Swindlecant", not "A is a Swindlecant". If A is an Honestant, he must tell the truth and say "I am an Honestant", and if A is a Swindlecant, he must lie and say "I am an Honestant". Regardless of what A is, he will say the same thing, so we can't know for sure what he is unless we ask him what someone else says they are.

#4 PhuCho

PhuCho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:51 PM

Since A is going to say Honestant in both cases B is lying so he is Swindlecant and C is telling the truth he is an Honestant

#5 mafroorfam

mafroorfam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:55 AM

The fact is that A would be a honestant because b said A said that A is a swindlecant and because B is a swindlecant that means B was lying which means A really said that it was a honestant so A is a honestant. simple really.

#6 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5527 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:27 PM

Since A is going to say Honestant in both cases B is lying so he is Swindlecant and C is telling the truth he is an Honestant

This is correct.

The final bit of analysis is that we can't know what A is.
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#7 mart3323

mart3323

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:56 AM

If A is honestant he/she will say honestant.
If A is swindlecant he/she will say honestant.
So if B says that A says swindlecant he/she must be lying making him/her a swindlecant.
Please excuse my poor english as i am from Estonia.

#8 controller

controller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:20 PM

Why doesn't the guy just ask a question he already knows the awnser to like what color is my hair?

#9 KBHoleN1

KBHoleN1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:56 PM

Why doesn't the guy just ask a question he already knows the awnser to like what color is my hair?

Are you serious? The point of the puzzle is to make you think, not wish the answer was easier. If the answer was that simple, the riddle wouldn't be very fun, now would it?

#10 Some Guy

Some Guy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:26 PM

A is an Honestant OR a Swindlecant; B is a Swindlecant; C is an Honestant.

Let's explore why this is true by focusing on the boolean value of whether or not B is an Honestant or SwindleCant:

Case I: B is an Honestant.

In this case if B is an Honestant, then this will mean that C is a Swindlecant.
More importantly, it will mean that A stated that he is a Swindlecant.

If we explore the logic of A's presumed statement, it can not be a plausible statement because:
1.) If A was an indeed a Swindlecant, he would not state that he is a SwindleCant.
(Given the nature of Swindlecants, he would lie and state that he is an Honestant.)
2.) If A was an Honestant, he would not state that he is a Swindlecant.
(Given the nature of Honestants, he would tell the truth and state that he is an Honestant.)

Either way, A can not state that he is a Swindlecant.
Logically, A MUST state that he is an Honestant, whether he truly is or not.

Case II: B is a Swindlecant.

In this case, if B is a Swindlecant, then this will mean that C is an Honestant.
More importantly, it would mean that A stated that he is an Honestant.

A could either be telling the truth and be an Honestant OR A could be lying and be a Swindlecant.

Conclusion:
Combining the knowledge from Case I and Case II, we can arrive at the result that A can be either an Honestant OR a Swindlecant; B must be a Swindlecant; C must be an Honestant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users