Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
600 replies to this topic

#21 moocowaj

moocowaj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:27 AM

Christians rock!!!!! (Though i accept people of other religion, and have nothing against them.) :D :lol:

#22 kawnsentrait

kawnsentrait

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:43 AM

of course. It was the old Roman Catholic church that used its power in corrupt ways, which sparked the Reformation. True Christians sin, but it is against God's will to be unfair or to hate thy neighbor. I hope everything posted is for the Church's edification.

I am not sure why you would have such a hope. I personally believe the world would be better without religion, but since that is a pipe dream I will Vie for the improvement of the church, if that counts as edification.

#23 ADParker

ADParker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:13 AM

Christians rock!!!!! (Though i accept people of other religion, and have nothing against them.) :D :lol:

And those that have none?

#24 Martini

Martini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:25 AM

err... I appreciate the enthusiasm, but lets stick to clean(er) topics. Remember,you can talk about any aspect of our religion, but be polite, and don't get yourself banned. -_-

Don't do that. If you think a topic isn't "clean" enough or someone has stepped over the line, report the post.

#25 andromeda

andromeda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3698 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:10 PM

I am new to the site, so I am not sure what will get a person banned. I hope I would at least get a warning from a MOD but I guess I will find out.

I am sorry to go for the throat like that, but I was not the person bringing up homosexuality in the first place. I made the post that I did, as you will see by reading the conclusion, to point out that fundamentalism is the issue. People who use religion for bigotry, malice or power need to be stopped. As long as religion becomes and remains something used only for the greater good of people with human rights being the core philosophy around which all decisions are made I think it can be a great source of culture, heritage, comfort and guidance. Used or viewed the wrong way, religion is one of the worst things that has ever happened to this world.

How do you get banned!

On topic I have just finished reading the book called "Sex Lives of the Popes" by Nigel Cawthorne.

OMG in the past 2000 years the church was all about power, money and sex. There's nothing explicit in the book really just the list of their "sins".

What surprised me is that there were a lot of popes that were atheists?! Oh and almost all of them were engaging homosexual sex.

I haven't checked, but probably none of that is mentioned on other web sites. However they just couldn't hide the sins of the Alexander VI cause he was the worst of all the popes. Yes he is the notorious Rodrigo Borgia! :lol: But the other popes (with few exceptions) weren't so far behind. :rolleyes:

Oh and pope Gregory VII said that he thought that people reading the bible is not a good idea cause they might start questioning things, and questioning things led to heresy :lol:

So much about Christianity... I'm a Roman Catholic btw, not by choice :dry:

Edited by andromeda, 29 April 2009 - 12:11 PM.

#26 ADParker

ADParker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:13 PM

So much about Christianity... I'm a Roman Catholic btw, not by choice :dry:

Not by choice?!
You mean you are forced to believe that saying the right magic words over a cracker (unleavened bread, I know :rolleyes: ) and some fermented grape juice magically turns it into human/god hybrid thingy flesh and blood, even though it sill looks, smells, tastes, feels and even sounds exactly the same?!

I can see how you are expected to play along with it etc. but can "they" actually control your mind?! :lol:

Or are you just saying you were baptised as one, and/or are expected to act as one etc.? (IF so then you are no REALLY a Roman Catholic; you just play one.)

#27 Grayven

Grayven

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1200 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:46 PM

(IF so then you are no REALLY a Roman Catholic; you just play one.)

From my understanding, that is the requirement for club membership. Put on a good show to the public and you're in. If you get caught, just tell the man in the box that you really didn't mean it and he gives you a free pass.

Apparently, hypocrisy doesn't fall under the 9th commandment. "Bearing false witness" sounds like it should cover this, but it only covers discussion of the non-Christian gods. Convenient.

#28 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3054 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:47 PM

Leveticus 18:22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

Leviticus 20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them

seems pretty straight forward, right?

Now that I got the ball rolling, lets look into the subjects of polygamy, incest and slavery!

Now, I know were not meant to go around interpreting the bible (:P), but there are some other ways to think of this. For instance, 'as' can mean 'while'. So it might actually be against adultery, not gay stuff. I've also heard that some Biblical scholars think the "thou shalt not lie with a man as with a woman blah blah" line is about homosexual rape, not consensual sex. It was all the rage back then to rape everyone, men included, when you pillaged a town.

Jus' saying. B))

#29 octopuppy

octopuppy

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:04 PM

Now, I know were not meant to go around interpreting the bible ( :P ), but there are some other ways to think of this. For instance, 'as' can mean 'while'. So it might actually be against adultery, not gay stuff.

...or maybe it's against having threesomes. Tut tut, what a shame.

#30 andromeda

andromeda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3698 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:16 PM

Not by choice?!
You mean you are forced to believe that saying the right magic words over a cracker (unleavened bread, I know :rolleyes: ) and some fermented grape juice magically turns it into human/god hybrid thingy flesh and blood, even though it sill looks, smells, tastes, feels and even sounds exactly the same?!

I can see how you are expected to play along with it etc. but can "they" actually control your mind?! :lol:

Or are you just saying you were baptised as one, and/or are expected to act as one etc.? (IF so then you are no REALLY a Roman Catholic; you just play one.)

:P

It seems unfair that I was made a Cristian without my consent. There should be a law about that :dry: Now I probably can't undo it!

So my question for Bran and anyone else: How can one reverse baptism? I don't want to change religion either :)

I should ask a priest about this. Actually I have a friend studying theology. I'll ask him and I'll let you know what he said.
I have nothing against people that believe in God it's just... I wanna choose and decide on my own. I don't like people telling me what to do (my grandmother) and what I should believe in and how to behave (except on BD *waves to Martini and rookie*) :ph34r:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users