Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Honestants and Swindlecants II.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#11 Tyvlen

Tyvlen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 11:19 PM

i think both aborigines are swindlecants, the question did not state he met one of each types, simple two aborigines, imo a honestant couldnt say "I am a swindlecant" but a swindlecant can say, "Hi im a swindlecant, but you can trust him, he is a honestant"

#12 TwoaDay

TwoaDay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 11:30 PM

They cant both be swindlecants if so the first would be an honestant

#13 ash013

ash013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:25 PM

I have a simple question to everyone who says that A is an honestant:if that is true,means that he/she made a false statment.How an honestant can lie?He/she didn't say "If i am.."This would be different.

#14 i am a liar

i am a liar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:59 AM

guys if there is only 1 true statements you will be a swindlecats why because you will need 2 true statements to be an honestants, an honest guy never lies.
in my opinion A is a swindlecats and B is a honestants

#15 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:01 PM

guys if there is only 1 true statements you will be a swindlecats why because you will need 2 true statements to be an honestants, an honest guy never lies.
in my opinion A is a swindlecats and B is a honestants

no, for the reason given in the very first post

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#16 davasatoth

davasatoth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:49 AM

they are both liars. just ask the bartender, he tells the truth.

Edited by davasatoth, 14 March 2008 - 01:49 AM.

#17 huh

huh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:26 PM

Hi I am new here.
They both have to be Swindlecants. No one is going to say they are a Swindlecant. Swindlecants will lie about it, and Honestant would not state that or they would be lying.

So you cannot split the statment into two sections. Either the whole statement is true, or if any part of it is false, it is a false statment. A Honestant will not say he/she is a swindlecant. If a Swindlecant states he is a Swindlecant, then he must be lying somewhere else in the statement.

Just my two cents worth.

I agree, the bartender always knows.

#18 foh

foh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:31 AM

Honestants and Swindlecants II. - Back to the Logic Problems
Afterwards he meets another two aborigines. One says: "I am a Swindlecant or the other one is an Honestant." Who are they?

Spoiler for Solution

I know I am new to this forum, but in my mind the answer is "two aborigines" using the logic of "How do you spell that?" T H A T

#19 chiyaan

chiyaan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:02 AM

The solution is not right! If A was an honestant, he wouldn't be lying by callin himself a swindlecant! So A IS a swindlecant!
Similarly.. If A says I'm a swindlecant 'AND' B is an honestant,they are different! But using 'OR', they are obviously the same! Whatever A is!
N since he is not an honestant, as an honestant will never lie n say he's a swindlecant.. They are both swindlecants! :)

Edited by chiyaan, 29 March 2008 - 06:04 AM.

#20 dheinecke

dheinecke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 08:00 PM

I think the difficulty that most people here are having is trying to define to what extent a lie actually goes.

As a computer programmer, I usually think in terms of true and false, with true being truth, and false being a lie. Using this definition of truth and lie, both must be Honestants due to the mathematical proofs offered earlier.

The disconnect comes for those that feel that Swindlicants can't even tell a partial truth, or use a truthful clause in a statement. To test which camp you fall into, as yourself whether, based on what we know of swindlecants, if you think a swindlecant could make this statement:

"The sun is hot and the moon is made of green cheese"

Mathematically and logically the statement is false, because the second clause is false, so you could argue that this is something a Swindlecant would say. Conversely, you could argue that because Swindlecants must always lie that his use of a truthful clause ("the sun is hot") is verboten.

I tend to think more along the logical and mathematical lines, but due to different interpretations of what constitutes lieing, I can see the alternative solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users