Across high-wire, come and see!

Under clear or cloudy sky,

Breath is held so E. won’t die!

Hurry! Hurry! The latest craze!

Soon the rope is lit ablaze!

Now’s the time for all to see

The death defying Mr. E.!

16 answers to this question

The "hold your breath so E won't die" line is giving me fits, but maybe this is an explanation

We're watching electric lighting. Since it's an outdoor show, the neon of Vegas would be a good fit. The breath holding refers to having to keep neon in and room air out of the bulb.

It could apply to a regular incandescent bulb as well, they need to keep oxygen out so the filament doesn't oxidize.

I have been thinking about this riddle all night and today. I still don't know. It's a bloody good one, I think. Very well written, too.

I'm wondering, if we know what the E in Mr. E's name stands for, will it likely give it away what the act is? Or has the E actually been said already, just not his act?

I gotta give it to Plasmid, but Grayven with back up. Good job.

Incandescent bulb.

Mr. E can be electricity or even electron. The high wire is the fillament, which glows with heat when the electrons cross. The bulb (cloudy or clear) is free of oxygen in order to keep the light "alive."

Edited by Shakeepuddn

I gotta give it to Plasmid, but Grayven with back up. Good job.
Incandescent bulb.

Mr. E can be electricity or even electron. The high wire is the fillament, which glows with heat when the electrons cross. The bulb (cloudy or clear) is free of oxygen in order to keep the light "alive."

The E could easily stand for Edison. (OK, on second read, no it couldn't. Edison doesn't survive by holding his breath.) This was a fun one Master S. I'm becoming addicted to these.

Edited by Grayven