Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Honestants and Swindlecants III.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

#1 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:28 PM

Honestants and Swindlecants III. - Back to the Logic Problems
Our gringo displeased the sovereign with his intrusive questions and was condemned to death. But there was also a chance to save himself by solving the following logic problem. The gringo was shown two doors - one leading to a scaffold and the second one to freedom (both doors were the same) and only the door guards knew what was behind the doors. The sovereign let the gringo put one question to one guard. And because the sovereign was an honest man he warned that exactly one guard is a Swindlecant.
What question can save the gringo's life?

Classic wording:
Two Doors
You are travelling down a country lane to a distant village. You reach a fork in the road and find a pair of identical twin sisters standing there. One of the sisters always tells the truth and the other always lies.
If you are allowed to ask only one question to one of the sisters to find the correct road to the village, what is your question?

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.
Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Spoiler for Solution

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#2 pooky64

pooky64

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 12:43 AM

Tricky question: „Hey you, does an honestant stand at the door to freedom?“ The answer will be YES, if I am asking an honestant who is standing at the door to freedom, or if I am asking a swindlecant standing again at the same door. So I can walk through the door. A similar deduction can be made for negative answer. I dont understand how this question works... unless you explain that the honest one stands at the door to freedom...

#3 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:53 AM

Tricky question: „Hey you, does an honestant stand at the door to freedom?“ The answer will be YES, if I am asking an honestant who is standing at the door to freedom, or if I am asking a swindlecant standing again at the same door. So I can walk through the door. A similar deduction can be made for negative answer. I dont understand how this question works... unless you explain that the honest one stands at the door to freedom...

If the answer is YES:
Only honestant standing at the freedom door or swindlecant staying at the freedom door can say it.
So you go through that door.

If the answer is NO:
Only honestant standing at the wrong door or swindlecant staying at the wrong door can say it.
So you go through the other door.

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#4 fosley

fosley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:23 AM

The Indirect question is the simplest in my mind (I came up with that solution a long time ago). I think it's also the original solution, and I know it's the one given in The Labyrinth. I think I've come up with the Complicated question on my own, but I'm not sure about that. Either way, it would work.

I hadn't ever heard of the Tricky question, so I had to figure it out. After some fiddling, I came up with this:

---Freedom-------Death
1. H=Yes----------S=No
2. S=Yes----------H=No

You have the freedom door on the left and the death door on the right. In scenario 1, the Honestant (H) stands in front of the freedom door, and the Swindlecant (S) stands in front of the death door. Since the true answer to the question is "yes", the Honestant will answer "yes" and the Swindlecant will answer "no".

In scenario 2, the roles are reversed. Since the correct answer is "no", the Swindlecant will say "yes" and the Honestant will say "no". As you can see from the chart, the only way either one can say "yes" is if they are standing in front of the Freedom door, and the only way either one can say "no" is if they are not.

This is exactly what you said, but I added a visual example for reference (that's what it took for me to figure it out to begin with).

#5 paultholen

paultholen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:22 AM

Yoo, new here, isn't the simplest question: "Do you know what is behind your door?"

If it was already posted, sorry wasn't very thorough in reading the other posts...

#6 fosley

fosley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:14 AM

I don't think that would work. It would tell you who was who, but wouldn't tell you which door is which.

#7 Fenix

Fenix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:27 AM

What if you asked a guard "Which door would the other guard would want me to pick?"

The honestant guard would point to the door leading to the scaffold; and the Swindlecant would point to the same door, but that is assuming that the honestant doesn't want to see you die.

#8 larryhl

larryhl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:49 PM

What if you asked a guard "Which door would the other guard would want me to pick?"

The honestant guard would point to the door leading to the scaffold; and the Swindlecant would point to the same door, but that is assuming that the honestant doesn't want to see you die.

Fenix, that's the indirect question, only you said it in plainer English

#9 Numenor

Numenor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:45 AM

Now doesn't this remind you of that old short-story called "The Lady or the Tiger?"

The only answer I can understand would be the indirect question (I saw that several weeks ago on NUMB3RS as well, for those of you who watch it).

Numenor

#10 normdeplume

normdeplume

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:32 PM

The indirect question makes sense and I agree with it.

The Tricky question logic looks flawed to me, unless I am missing something. the question asked is 'Hey you, does an honestant stand at the door to freedom' Whilst your conclusions are correct as to the answers you will get, nothing actually indicates whether you are talking to an honestant or a swindlecant, So the conclusion you draw is that a honestant is standing in front of the door to freedom, but you still don't know which of the 2 is the honestant.

Is it me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users