Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

a tree in the forest.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 roolstar

roolstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 01:54 PM

If a man speaks in the forest, and there is no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong?

My girlfriend says "yes"

God I love her...
but again I'm probably wrong!

#12 roolstar

roolstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 02:08 PM

Now back on a serious note.

What if a recorder was in that forest at the time the tree fell?

Would it register anything?

I would say yes... No hearing organs needed at the scene.

But I believe this is more of a philosophical question: most of the things around us are merely the "creation" of our own awareness (Sound, light, shapes)... If we are not aware of them do they still exist??

I believe that existance does not depend on us, we are simply here to observe whatever we can from it.

A forest or a tree may actually be sending a lot more than sounds, and a lot more than colors, but we may not be equipped today to realize it....

Our brain captures a lot more than our eyes do, and a lot less than everything around us. But this doesn't mean that these are the only things that exist...

Another question: Did the big bang (if there really was one) create any light? No eyes were at the scene!

#13 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 04:51 AM

I don't think there was a Big Bang at all... it just seems like some serious bullsh*t. But dont get me wrong- I dont believe in god, or any god. I think the universe has been around forever, and always will be around forever. It just is.

#14 Ploper

Ploper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:41 AM

yep I'm totally on the same page with unreality. I'm atheistic and the big bang doesn't sound logical.

But doesn't the tape recorder use some sort of mechanical energy?
which, like wikipedia says, is required in the definition of "sound"

#15 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:52 AM

Yeah! another atheist on this forum we're so discriminated against its not even funny...

#16 Ploper

Ploper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 02:51 AM

seriously man,
just about everyone who knows I'm atheist freakin hates me
but I never lie and say I'm christian or agnostic or anything else
cuz they're my beliefs and I'm stickin with them

#17 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 03:46 AM

Yeah many people are close-minded. I guess I'm lucky to have friends that are either atheist/agnostic or theist yet tolerant and good people.

#18 Ploper

Ploper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 04:07 AM

yeah, my girlfriend's a tolerant theist
and my two best friends are agnostic and atheist...
but I'm past caring what people say about my atheism anymore..

If it's not too heavy to talk about on this forum I want to start a topic on a religious debate.
I love debating, though I'm not good at it.
But if anyone objects, please tell me now

#19 mojobrain

mojobrain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:49 PM

Contrary to describing sound as being a

creation of our own awareness

, it is a existing phenomenon which is usually perceived or received? differently by each individual.

If a tree falls in the forest , sound waves will emanate from it regardless of whether or not they will travel within earshot of any living organism. If a tree falls in the midst of a village where all the inhabitants are deaf, stating that therefore there can be no sound is like stating that since the human eye can't perceive ultra violet, there is no such color in the spectrum. The vibrations produced by the former & the effects observied by the latter are proof that they do.

#20 Ploper

Ploper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:50 PM

yeah, I knew from the start that there would be sound waves
but, again, like the definition in wikipedia (granted, not the most reliable source) sound, not sound waves, requires a transfer with mechanical energy.
so without the mechanical energy converting sound waves into the sound we hear, there's a bunch of sound waves, but no sound.
Am I making any sense?
probably not huh?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users