Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Honestants and Swindlecants IX.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1341 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:15 PM

Honestants and Swindlecants IX. - Back to the Logic Problems
After a hard day the gringo wanted some time to relax. But a few minutes later two aborigines wanted to talk to him. To make things clear, the gringo asked: "Is at least one of you an honestant?" After the answer, there was no doubt. Who are they and who answered?

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.
Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Spoiler for Solution

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#2 Ploper

Ploper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:07 AM

didn't look at the answer
but if there is one honestant and one swindelcant then the identity is clear,
the honestant would say yes and the swindelcant would lie and say no.
but if both were honestants then they would both say yes.
and two swindelcants would lie and answer yes as well.
so the identity would only be clear if one was honest and the other lied.

I think.

#3 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5918 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:42 PM

...the identity would only be clear if one was honest and the other lied...

There are 3 cases [HH, SS and HS] and in each
case one or the other of the Aborigines could have
answered. So the gringo could have heard any of
6 answers. As Ploper points out, 5 of these answers
will be Yes. Only one answer could be No: the answer
given by the Swindlecant in the case HS.

So the answer is - the gringo heard "No" and that
made it clear a Swindlecant was speaking and that
there was one of each.

A "Yes" answer gives no information about either point.
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#4 BoilingOil

BoilingOil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 02:21 AM

Honestants and Swindlecants IX. - Back to the Logic Problems
After a hard day the gringo wanted some time to relax. But a few minutes later two aborigines wanted to talk to him. To make things clear, the gringo asked: "Is at least one of you an honestant?" After the answer, there was no doubt. Who are they and who answered?

Nice one:
If the islanders were both Honestants, the answer would have been "yes", regardless of who answered.
If the islanders were both Swindlecants, the answer would have been "yes", regardless of who answered.
If the islanders were an Honestant and a Swindlecant, the Honestant would answer "yes", but the Swindlecant would have said "No".
Since the gringo HAS NO DOUBT, it must mean that the two were an Honestant and a Swindlecant, and the latter answered the question.

I have a paperback somewhere that contains a large number of these riddles. There they are called the "Greens" who always tell the truth, and the "Pinks" who always lie. This book goes a little further though, and at some point it introduces a third breed, the "Whites" who alternate between telling the truth or lying. The only problem with them is, you never know what type their first answer will be.
I would post a few of them, but this may take a little time, because I would first have to locate the book, and then translate the riddles from Dutch to English.
Please let me know if there's anyone interested in taking a crack at some of those.

BoilingOil

#5 slmo

slmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 10:01 PM

Good one! Uncluttered, gettable with some common sense

#6 therealdonquixote

therealdonquixote

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:33 PM

They're Aussies!! Oy Oy Oy!!
The gringo spoke to aborigines... get it?

It was funnier in my head.

#7 kb3mkd

kb3mkd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:54 AM

Nice one:
If the islanders were both Honestants, the answer would have been "yes", regardless of who answered.
If the islanders were both Swindlecants, the answer would have been "yes", regardless of who answered.
If the islanders were an Honestant and a Swindlecant, the Honestant would answer "yes", but the Swindlecant would have said "No".
Since the gringo HAS NO DOUBT, it must mean that the two were an Honestant and a Swindlecant, and the latter answered the question.

I have a paperback somewhere that contains a large number of these riddles. There they are called the "Greens" who always tell the truth, and the "Pinks" who always lie. This book goes a little further though, and at some point it introduces a third breed, the "Whites" who alternate between telling the truth or lying. The only problem with them is, you never know what type their first answer will be.
I would post a few of them, but this may take a little time, because I would first have to locate the book, and then translate the riddles from Dutch to English.
Please let me know if there's anyone interested in taking a crack at some of those.

BoilingOil

just found this site.

please ost your questions.

#8 trojan2k8

trojan2k8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:44 PM

sorry but i didnt know which those words ment lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users