Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Honestants and Swindlecants X.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

#31 Jackie Chan

Jackie Chan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 03:39 PM

You could pretty much make note of an obvious fact and lie/tell the truth about it (to establish whether you're an honestant and swindlecant) and supply the corresponding second half of the answer about whether you are rich or poor.

If I were to approach the "wantable" woman, and I were a swindlecant, I would say: I'm a woman, and I'm poor. Conversely for Honestants: "I'm a man, and I'm rich."

#32 richieCda

richieCda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 04:11 PM

I'm not so smart but fairly logical. Please explain what a "logic operation" is and define the formula. Thanks.

#33 paboperfecto

paboperfecto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:22 PM

"sun rises in the west and i am the poorest guy"

This does not work for a swindlecant. By making the first part of the statement a lie he can append anything, truth or fiction and the sentance is still a lie when connected with an and. In other words a poor swindlecant can still legally say this sentence. In order to convince her you would need a statement where both parts have to be false, change the and to an or and then you have it:

"The sun rises in the west OR I am poor".

This way in order for the sentence to be a lie BOTH parts have to be untrue, not just one.

#34 Imalon

Imalon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:43 AM

The rich swindlecant should state:

"Any Honestant would tell you I am poor."

This is a lie, confirming swindlecant status and rich because it is a lie.

If an Honestant were to say the same thing, they would be telling the truth and therefore be poor, so no wanted.

#35 kittern

kittern

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:34 PM

What about "I am neither rich nor poor, but I do not have a lot of money" - There are only rich and poor people on the island, therefore, this person must be lying and must be a Swindlecant. She will then know that his not having a lot of money is a lie.

#36 aniox

aniox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:14 AM

"I am a poor swindlecant" = "I am poor and I am a swindlecant," but neither of these sentences would be true, given that he is rich. The girl presumably reasons out that he has to be a swindlecant, because an honestant would not call himself a swindlecant from any part of the economic spectrum. If he's a swindlecant, his sentence must be false, but it cannot be made false by "swindlecant" - so "poor" must make it false, and so he must be rich, QED.

#37 krayziemuse

krayziemuse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:18 PM

I am sorry if this is not formatted right but I was typing in work, and I thought of a possible flaw with the honestant answer. Please correct my logic if it is wrong.

„I am a poor swindlecant.“ = „I am poor and I am swindlecant.“
Sentence has to be considered as a whole and not as single parts (you would be right if it was 2 separate sentences). For more, check logical conjunction.

Honestants and Swindlecants X. - solution
„I am a poor swindlecant.“ An honestant can not say such a sentence, so it is a lie. And that’s why only a rich swindlecant can say that.
„I am not a poor honestant.“ A swindlecant can not say that, because it would be true. And that’s why an honestant who is not poor (a rich one) said that.

„I am not a poor honestant.“ = I am not poor and I am an honestant. Could a poor swindlecant say this, he is poor = lie he is not an honestant which is a lie, from what I have come to understand F F = F

Also if the man is a rich swindlecant than I am not poor = True I am an honestant = F the whole statement becomes false.

Am I wrong?

#38 puzzle solver

puzzle solver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:45 PM

I would think that we are assuming the lady does not know that you are a lier or truth teller, she just believes what she hears. In this case a rich honestant simply sais "I am a rich honestant" and she will take him if she wants a rich honestant. On the other hand if she wanted a rich swindlecat and I happened to be one I might say "I am the only rich swindlecat on this island" which is a lie if there are any others.

#39 rsaylors

rsaylors

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:18 AM

I would think that we are assuming the lady does not know that you are a lier or truth teller, she just believes what she hears. In this case a rich honestant simply sais "I am a rich honestant" and she will take him if she wants a rich honestant. On the other hand if she wanted a rich swindlecat and I happened to be one I might say "I am the only rich swindlecat on this island" which is a lie if there are any others.

he could still be a poor liar though!

I am a lair who is also poor.

a truth teller can never say he is a liar, at all, and a liar can only indicate he is a liar if he lies about something else.

I am not a truth teller who is poor.

a liar can never say he is "not a truth teller" of any ilk, as that would be the truth.

#40 koreanforlyf

koreanforlyf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 08:43 AM

i hope some people still visit this topic, because i want to verify my answer x.x

If i was a swindlecant, an honestant would say that i am a poor honestant.

If-Then statement, so if the If is false, than the Then is false.
Assuming that, we can say:

If I really am a swindlecant, then I would lie about what an honestant would say about myself: therefore, the girl will think that the honestant is actually saying that I am a rich swindlecant.

If i was a honestant that said this, then the If clause would be false, bringing in the negation of the Then clause:
If I am NOT a swindlecant, an honestant would NOT say that I am a poor honestant; in other words, he would say that I am a rich swindlecant.

In both cases(assuming the girl knows the honestant/swindlecant rules), the girl will think that I am a rich swindlecant, which answers the first problem.

I haven't thought of anything for the second problem yet, so I'll go with the original answer xD
thoughts/corrections? please let this board be alive..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users